Old 02-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Anthony Campbell

Default Icewm lost! Can't reinstall

Icewm has been deleted automatically in an upgrade of Sid yesterday.
I tried to reinstall but got:

=========================
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
icewm: Depends: libungif4g (>= 4.1.4)
E: Broken packages
===========================

I've put in a bug report but meanwhile it's a major disaster, though
fortunately only on one computer so I'm holding back on the others.

Anyone else met this one?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian

Old 02-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Jochen Schulz

Anthony Campbell:

> Icewm has been deleted automatically in an upgrade of Sid yesterday.

No, it did not happen automatically. You should read what aptitude is
about to do before confirming that this is what you want it to do.

Using 'safe-upgrade' instead of 'full-upgrade' by default is a good idea
anyway.

> I tried to reinstall but got:
>
> =========================
> The following packages have unmet dependencies.
> icewm: Depends: libungif4g (>= 4.1.4)
> E: Broken packages
> ===========================

> I've put in a bug report but meanwhile it's a major disaster, though
> fortunately only on one computer so I'm holding back on the others.
>
> Anyone else met this one?

Sure. But I didn't remove IceWM. You should be able to downgrade it,
though.

J.
--
I no longer believe in father christmas but have no trouble
comprehending a nuclear apocalypse.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 08 Feb 2008, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Anthony Campbell:
> >
> > Icewm has been deleted automatically in an upgrade of Sid yesterday.
>
> No, it did not happen automatically. You should read what aptitude is
> about to do before confirming that this is what you want it to do.
>
> Using 'safe-upgrade' instead of 'full-upgrade' by default is a good idea
> anyway.

I'm not using aptitude, largely because it has removed all kinds of
things it shouldn't when I used it in the past, though safe-upgrade
sounds good. I like wajig -- it does warn you before removing things
though I missed it on this occasion.

> Sure. But I didn't remove IceWM. You should be able to downgrade it,
> though.

I was able to reinstall it from /var/cache/apt/archives.

Anthony

Old 02-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 02-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-02-08 10:43 +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> Icewm has been deleted automatically in an upgrade of Sid yesterday.
> I tried to reinstall but got:
>
> =========================
> The following packages have unmet dependencies.
> icewm: Depends: libungif4g (>= 4.1.4)
> E: Broken packages
> ===========================
>
> I've put in a bug report but meanwhile it's a major disaster, though
> fortunately only on one computer so I'm holding back on the others.
>
> Anyone else met this one?

There are now updated packages of libgif4 available which include
a transitional package for libungif4g, see
http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/giflib/news/20080207T090208Z.html.

Sven

Old 02-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 08 Feb 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
> If you know that it warns you about proposed removals, why did you
> allow it to remove IceWM?

Obviously I missed the warning.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 08 Feb 2008, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2008-02-08 10:43 +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
> > Icewm has been deleted automatically in an upgrade of Sid yesterday.
> > I tried to reinstall but got:
> >
> > =========================
> > The following packages have unmet dependencies.
> > icewm: Depends: libungif4g (>= 4.1.4)
> > E: Broken packages
> > ===========================
> >
> > I've put in a bug report but meanwhile it's a major disaster, though
> > fortunately only on one computer so I'm holding back on the others.
> >
> > Anyone else met this one?
>
> There are now updated packages of libgif4 available which include
> a transitional package for libungif4g, see
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/giflib/news/20080207T090208Z.html.
>
> Sven

I think that's the one that caused the problem in the first place. If I
installed it I would get this:

gdk-imlib11 imlib11 libgif-dev libungif4-dev
The following packages will be REMOVED
feh giblib1 habak icewm icewm-experimental idesk libimlib2 libungif4g mplayer
The following NEW packages will be installed
libgif-dev libgif4
gdk-imlib11 imlib11 libungif4-dev
3 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 9 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-02-08 17:26 +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> On 08 Feb 2008, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> There are now updated packages of libgif4 available which include
>> a transitional package for libungif4g, see
>> http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/giflib/news/20080207T090208Z.html.
>>
>> Sven
>>

> I think that's the one that caused the problem in the first place. If I
> installed it I would get this:

> gdk-imlib11 imlib11 libgif-dev libungif4-dev
> The following packages will be REMOVED
> feh giblib1 habak icewm icewm-experimental idesk libimlib2 libungif4g mplayer
> The following NEW packages will be installed
> libgif-dev libgif4
> gdk-imlib11 imlib11 libungif4-dev
> 3 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 9 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

Your mirror is not quite up to date. You need version 4.6.1-3 of
libgif4, where these transitional packages were added. Since you
successfully downgraded imlib11 and reinstalled icewm, there is no need
to hurry, though.

The problem you encountered was triggered by the upload of imlib11
version 1.9.15-6, which was the first package to link against libgif4.
See the thread I started on
http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2008/02/msg00065.html.

Sven

Old 02-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 2008-02-08 17:26 +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> On 08 Feb 2008, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> There are now updated packages of libgif4 available which include
>> a transitional package for libungif4g, see
>> http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/giflib/news/20080207T090208Z.html.
>>
>> Sven
>>

> I think that's the one that caused the problem in the first place. If I
> installed it I would get this:

> gdk-imlib11 imlib11 libgif-dev libungif4-dev
> The following packages will be REMOVED
> feh giblib1 habak icewm icewm-experimental idesk libimlib2 libungif4g mplayer
> The following NEW packages will be installed
> libgif-dev libgif4
> gdk-imlib11 imlib11 libungif4-dev
> 3 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 9 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

>Your mirror is not quite up to date. You need version 4.6.1-3 of
^^^^^^^^
>libgif4, where these transitional packages were added. Since you
>successfully downgraded imlib11 and reinstalled icewm, there is no need
>to hurry, though.

>The problem you encountered was triggered by the upload of imlib11
>version 1.9.15-6, which was the first package to link against libgif4.
>See the thread I started on
>http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2008/02/msg00065.html.

Thanks, but this doesn't seem to be right. I take it 4.6.1-3 is a typo
for 4.1.6-3? In that case, that's the one I was looking at, and it's the
only such package listed on the Debian site. And it still gives the
REMOVE message if I were to install it -- which, as you say, I won't do
for the moment.

Anthony

Old 02-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-02-09 11:49 +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:

>> On 08 Feb 2008, Sven Joachim wrote:
>>Your mirror is not quite up to date. You need version 4.6.1-3 of
> ^^^^^^^^
>>libgif4, where these transitional packages were added. Since you
>>successfully downgraded imlib11 and reinstalled icewm, there is no need
>>to hurry, though.
>
>>The problem you encountered was triggered by the upload of imlib11
>>version 1.9.15-6, which was the first package to link against libgif4.
>>See the thread I started on
>>http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2008/02/msg00065.html.
>

> Thanks, but this doesn't seem to be right. I take it 4.6.1-3 is a typo
> for 4.1.6-3?

Yes, sorry.

> In that case, that's the one I was looking at, and it's the
> only such package listed on the Debian site. And it still gives the
> REMOVE message if I were to install it -- which, as you say, I won't do
> for the moment.

Hm, what command exactly do you use? For me, "aptitude safe-upgrade"
duly installed libgif4 and upgraded imlib11 when the transitional
libungif4g package became available.

Sven