-   -   nvidia driver problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/50098-nvidia-driver-problem.html)

"Jimmy Wu" 02-08-2008 03:49 AM

nvidia driver problem

On Jan 28, 2008 5:05 PM, Geosand <geosandsf@westnet.com.au> wrote:

> Jimmy Wu wrote:
> > Well, an update: I just ran the nvidia script today (169.09) and it
> > worked. I told it to not look for a precompiled interface on
> > nvidia.com, so it did some compiling on its own, I think, but anyways,
> > after I updated xorg.conf and restarted X, I saw the great big nVidia
> > splash screen.
> >
> > Thanks again to every who replied for your help.
> >
> Good to know, Jimmy.
> Thanks.
>
> 'When I get the time', I'll follow suit.
> Regards,
>
> David Palmer.

Another update: the nvidia installer works fine after it runs, but my
X breaks on the next reboot, and consequently I have to rerun the
installer on every reboot - a royal PITA.

At first, I thought it may have been due to conflicts with the
installed/half-installed nvidia-glx packages when I tried to use the
debian method earlier, so I removed all of those packages I could
think of, but that didn't fix the problem. Eventually, I got so fed
up I reinstalled the system, upgraded to unstable, and used the debian
nvidia-glx packages, which installed beautifully without a hitch
(cursing nvidia and closed-source drivers all the while). I am now
running compiz happily on my sid system, and all is well once again
:-)

Best,
--
Jimmy Wu
Registered Linux User #454138

Jon Anderson 09-22-2011 09:11 PM

Nvidia driver problem

I typed in----sudo apt-get install mesa-utils glxinfo

And got this in responce, does it mean that the driver my video card is
using

is the 270.41.06 or what does it mean. I'm running 11.04

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 6600 GT/AGP/SSE2/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 270.41.06
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
OpenGL extensions:
GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_ARB_copy_buffer, GL_ARB_depth_

NoOp 09-22-2011 09:47 PM

Nvidia driver problem

On 09/22/2011 02:11 PM, Jon Anderson wrote:
> I typed in----sudo apt-get install mesa-utils glxinfo
>
> And got this in responce, does it mean that the driver my video card is
> using
> is the 270.41.06 or what does it mean. I'm running 11.04

Yes. For example my card uses the 96.43.19 driver:
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: Quadro4 900 XGL/AGP/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.5.8 NVIDIA 96.43.19

> OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
> OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 6600 GT/AGP/SSE2/3DNOW!
> OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 270.41.06
> OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
> OpenGL extensions:
> GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_ARB_copy_buffer, GL_ARB_depth_

What is the specific problem that you are having?

Jon Anderson 09-23-2011 04:47 AM

Nvidia driver problem

when I lspci -v I get kernal driver in use -Nvidia, under that is says
Kernal modules and list nvidia- current( the one I thought I
needed)nvidia-173, nouveau, nvidiafb---I think the nvidia-current is
270.41.06 and it shows that that is not the one in use. In additional
drivers program it list two drivers Nvidia-current and nvidia-173. I
have activated the nvidia- (version current) [recommended] and it has
the green dot verifying that it is activated . But right across the top
it says no proprietary drivers are in use on this system and at the
bottom of additional drivers it says this driver is activated but not
currently being used.
I'm trying to get this system not to freeze ,it won't work but a
few minutes in normal video configeration, I have to select the lower
video level when I boot and then on the last page i select back to x and
that is the only way it will work for 1/2 hour -2 hours then it also
freezes.

Ric Moore 09-23-2011 06:15 AM

Nvidia driver problem

[...]

What do you have in /etc/X11/xorg.conf? You need this line, at least:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"

...if you have nouveau or anything else there, that may be your problem.
If so, then sudo gedit xorg.conf, in that directory, make the repair,
save it and log out or reboot. That should work. Now crank up
nvidia-settings to set your screen display resolutions and what not.
Then under the "X Server Display Configuration" tab, in the lower right
side is a button to save your configuration.

That will write you a new xorg.conf file that will work. Neither the
gnome or KDE display settings will work correctly until nvidia is happy.
:) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Jon Anderson 09-24-2011 12:17 AM

Nvidia driver problem

xorg.conf is

Section "Device"
Identifier "Default Device"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

xorg.conf failsafe is

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Thank you for the help, does this say anything. Are we trying to find
out which video driver that i'm using.

Jon Anderson 09-24-2011 12:42 AM

Nvidia driver problem

I went into the nvidia xserver settings and under x server information
and under nvidia driver version it says 270.41.06. You know I'm
beginning to think that it might be my computer and not the driver, I've
tried 3 different ones And three different video cards, a via that was
onboard a old matrox 906-01 rev and now I have a old nvidia geforce 6600
gt and if the Nvidia xserver is right the 270.41.06 is the one I wanted
in there. So hell I don't know. The only thing I upgraded on my Emachine
t3104 was I added anouther half gig of memory which makes it 3/4 of a
gig total.

"compdoc" 09-24-2011 01:01 AM

Nvidia driver problem

Jon Anderson:
>The only thing I upgraded on my Emachine
>t3104 was I added anouther half gig of memory which makes it 3/4 of a
>gig total.

1) Run memtest86+ overnight, or at least 5 or 6 passes.

2) Open the computer and look for any capacitors that are rounded on top:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

(click pictures to see close up. )

3) check your hard drive's smart data and/or look at the drive's health with
gnome disk utility.

Liam Proven 09-24-2011 01:24 AM

Nvidia driver problem

On 24 September 2011 02:01, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:

> 1) Run memtest86+ overnight, or at least 5 or 6 passes.
>
> 2) Open the computer and look for any capacitors that are rounded on top:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
>
> (click pictures to see close up. )
>
> 3) check your hard drive's smart data and/or look at the drive's health with
> gnome disk utility.

This is good advice - I agree, strongly.

NoOp 09-24-2011 02:03 AM

Nvidia driver problem

On 09/22/2011 09:47 PM, Jon Anderson wrote:
> when I lspci -v I get kernal driver in use -Nvidia, under that is says
> Kernal modules and list nvidia- current( the one I thought I
> needed)nvidia-173, nouveau, nvidiafb---I think the nvidia-current is
> 270.41.06 and it shows that that is not the one in use. In additional
> drivers program it list two drivers Nvidia-current and nvidia-173. I
> have activated the nvidia- (version current) [recommended] and it has
> the green dot verifying that it is activated . But right across the top
> it says no proprietary drivers are in use on this system and at the
> bottom of additional drivers it says this driver is activated but not
> currently being used.
> I'm trying to get this system not to freeze ,it won't work but a
> few minutes in normal video configeration, I have to select the lower
> video level when I boot and then on the last page i select back to x and
> that is the only way it will work for 1/2 hour -2 hours then it also
> freezes.

Where did you get the nvidia 270 driver from? In
System|Administration|Additional Drivers, what is the *exact* wording?

BTW: jockey (that additional drives program) has issues with failing to
identify nvidia drivers:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jockey/+bug/771788?comments=all>
[nVidia driver activated and apparently being used but reported as not
being used by jockey-gtk ]

For example, I have nvidia 96 (via Ubuntu) installed and working just
fine on Natty. However when I use the above it shows "No proprietary
drivers are in use on this system). Well you could fool me, as I do have
nvidia-96 working, compiz is working, System|Administration|NVIDIA X
Server Settings tells me its working, but jockey does not. What do you
get when from a terminal you:

$ /usr/bin/nvidia-settings

X Server Information.