Old 10-01-2011, 01:16 AM
Jon Anderson

Default Nvidia driver problem

on Anderson wrote:
> I tried "package mesa-utils" and typed "glxgears" and got this=
>
> Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":1.0".
> Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual

"Then I would assume that you don't have the nvidia driver working. I
have no idea why nvidia-settings displayed the one you want to use, but
if it is working, glxgears should always run. So my advice is what I
wrote in my first mail in this thread: Run the command

sudo nvidia-xconfig

in a terminal and then reboot. After that the nvidia driver should be
active (check it with glxgears)."

Nils

Dam Finally I have something in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig

# nvidia-xconfig:* version 270.41.06*
(buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-07.nvidia.com)* Mon Apr 18
15:15:12 PDT 2011

Section "ServerLayout"

*** Identifier**** "Layout0"

*** Screen***** 0* "Screen0" 0 0

*** InputDevice*** "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"

*** InputDevice*** "Mouse0" "CorePointer"

EndSection

Section "Files"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

*** # generated from default

*** Identifier**** "Mouse0"

*** Driver******** "mouse"

*** Option******** "Protocol" "auto"

*** Option******** "Device" "/dev/psaux"

*** Option******** "Emulate3Buttons" "no"

*** Option******** "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

*** # generated from default

*** Identifier**** "Keyboard0"

*** Driver******** "kbd"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

*** Identifier**** "Monitor0"

*** VendorName**** "Unknown"

*** ModelName***** "Unknown"

*** HorizSync****** 28.0 - 33.0

*** VertRefresh**** 43.0 - 72.0

*** Option******** "DPMS"

EndSection

Section "Device"

*** Identifier**** "Device0"

*** Driver******** "nvidia"

*** VendorName**** "NVIDIA Corporation"

EndSection

Section "Screen"

*** Identifier**** "Screen0"

*** Device******** "Device0"

Old 10-01-2011, 04:50 AM
Jon Anderson

>> there is nothing in my "xorg.conf" file other then
>> Section "Device"
>> Identifier "Default Device"
>> Option "NoLogo" "True"
>> EndSectiVesa .
>>
>> There is a vesa driver in my "xorg.conf failsafe" file
>
> Right and there should be "nvidia" in your xorg.conf file, that the
> Nvidia setup would have written. If so, just reboot. BTW, when you
> used jockey, you did pick the driver noted as "Recommended", right? Ric

"I am going to break my own rule which I arrived at last night for myself
and post to this list as a response to the above. My last post to this
list I have decided.

Give it up. You are wasting your time.

The man answered me in a message some days ago that he did NOT have 2
*.so.* files in the directory /usr/lib/ which means that he does NOT
have the proper nVidia driver installed.

Full stop. End of story.

Anything submitted as an attempt to help after this is simply a waste of
effort and time - and for which you do not get paid nor even get a Thank
You."

Thats is not really true, Ric was right and even though I've gotten frustrated stuck to his guns. And I now have
My drivers that I want showing up in my "xorg.conf file" and this may quit anytime but I've been in the full Ubuntu program for the first time that it hasn't frozen since I started using
Ubuntu in the beginning in 10.10, I still have it in classic (don't like unity) but it is not in failsafe graphics. You were right when you said he won't get a thank you he'll get tw
THANK YOU,THANK YOU!

Old 10-01-2011, 05:32 AM
Nils Kassube

Jon Anderson wrote:
> Finally I get 1022 fps

That looks good, I think. If your card is really an AGP card, as it was
indicated by one of your first mails, that is probably what you can
expect from a working nvidia driver.

Nils

Old 10-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Alan Pope

On 1 October 2011 02:08, Jon Anderson <jbander@izoom.net> wrote:
> On 09/28/2011 07:14 PM, Jon Anderson wrote:
>> I tried "package mesa-utils" and typed "glxgears" and got this=
>>
>> Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":1.0".
>> Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
>>
> "Have you re-booted since you saved your configuration file using Nvidia
> X Server Settings? ? ?? Try that and then run glxgears again. You're
> close. "Ric
>
> Finally I get 1022 fps

glxinfo rather than glxgears is probably more useful here. It will
tell you which renderer you're using.

Al.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Bruce Pieterse

On Thu 29 Sep 2011 01:37:57 SAST, Jon Anderson wrote:

>/ My bad
/>/ sudo cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.orig
/>/ Enter your password, hit enter
/>/
/>/
/>/ cp: cannot stat `xorg.conf': No such file or directory
/>/
/>/
/
You can also run jockey-text -l in the terminal to confirm that the
driver is enabled. This is my output:

xorg:nvidia_173 - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (Proprietary,
Disabled, Not in use)
xorg:nvidia_current - NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (Proprietary,

Enabled, Not in use)<-- Not in use but enabled.

So By your output what driver are you using (mine does the same thing, it tells me what isn't working)

Well, to be honest, i'm not sure why they have "not in use" when it is
in use. The current driver which is enabled and in use at this time on
my machine is xorg:nvidia_current. You can also try jockey-text -e
xorg:nvidia_current to enable the driver. You might even be able to get
some more information on why it's not working.

--
Best of luck,

Bruce

Old 10-11-2011, 10:57 PM
R Kimber

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 21:32:50 +0200
Bruce Pieterse wrote:

> Well, to be honest, i'm not sure why they have "not in use" when it is
> in use. The current driver which is enabled and in use at this time on
> my machine is xorg:nvidia_current. You can also try jockey-text -e
> xorg:nvidia_current to enable the driver. You might even be able to get
> some more information on why it's not working.

It's a bug. I think it's fixed in the next release, but I'm not sure.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources