Old 09-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Liam Proven

Default Nvidia driver problem

On 24 September 2011 03:22, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 09/23/2011 06:24 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
>> On 24 September 2011 02:01, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> 1) Run memtest86+ overnight, or at least 5 or 6 passes.
>>>
>>> 2) Open the computer and look for any capacitors that are rounded on top:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
>>>
>>> (click pictures to see close up. )
>>>
>>> 3) check your hard drive's smart data and/or look at the drive's health with
>>> gnome disk utility.
>>
>> This is good advice - I agree, strongly.
>
> Cool. Perhaps you can advise as to how that relates to the OP's issue?

Oops, sorry, I think I may have got my threads muddled. I thought this
was a question about poor system stability...

Serves me right for coming online after getting home from the pub at 1:30AM. :">

Old 09-24-2011, 02:02 PM
"Jeff G."

Cool. Perhaps you can advise as to how that relates to the OP's issue?

Oops, sorry, I think I may have got my threads muddled. I thought this
was a question about poor system stability...

Serves me right for coming online after getting home from the pub at 1:30AM. :">

you're not alone with this affliction but it does make it fun the next
morning to read what you posted, doesn't it?

Old 09-24-2011, 03:10 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 01:39:45 -0500
Jon Anderson <jbander@izoom.net> wrote:

> The driver that additional driver says is activated is just called
> Graphic driver(current) {recommended} But that says at the top of the
> program that "no proprietary are in use on the system and at at the
> bottom of the page it says "the driver is activated but not in use

...and, since activating it, you have surely logged out and back in,
right?

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 09-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Jon Anderson

It says nothing about any driver in /etc/x11/xorg.conf But it says

> /etc/X11/xorg.conf failsafe
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> Driver "vesa"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> Device "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>
> which I'm assuming means it's just a backup if nothing else is in for
> as driver.
> So whats to change

I had better state this otherwise I will most probably have a hard time
falling asleep tonight - and I do need my sleep.

Once again you do not state to whom you are replying. You are using
Thunderbird which is more than capable of quoting the person at the
start of a message as to whom you are replying. For chrissake, can't you
get this sorted out once and for all?

Now that I have that off my chest, your "It says nothing about any
driver in /etc/x11/xorg.conf" is then followed by:

Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "vesa"

Can you see it?! Yes or No?!

"*Driver* "vesa" .

Hallo there, "*Driver* "vesa".

The driver is not "nv" - which stands for the basic nVidia driver - and
it is not "nvidia" - which stands for the full nVidia driver for your
nVidia card.

Read what again what Ric wrote to you.

BC

--
Talk is cheap - until you hire a lawyer

Like I said above it says nothing about a driver in/etc/x11/xorg.conf

it says

Section "Device"
Identifier "Default Device"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

But in another file(/etc/X11/xorg.conf failsafe
) it says
/etc/X11/xorg.conf failsafe
> Section "Device"
> Identifier "Configured Video Device"
> Driver "vesa"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Default Screen"
> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
> Device "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection

You see it says failsafe, I assume that is the normal backup VESA driver, (not telling you that it is being used) but if nothing else is listed in the additional driver program

the vesa driver gets used.

I propose I'll come back another day and work on this. I have two questions going here and neither one is pleasant ,it must be me.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Liam Proven

On 24 September 2011 06:33, Jon Anderson <jbander@izoom.net> wrote:

> Is there a terminal request to get which operating system I'm in

Try

uname -a

... to see what kernel you're running, and

cat /etc/issue

... to see what release of Ubuntu it is.

> How do I turn off Unity in 11.04 or
> does that just take me back to 10.10 anyway. Me ,I'm confused and I have
> been told by many people here that they agree with me.

At the login screen, after you enter your username but before you
enter your password, there is a status bar across the bottom of the
screen. In there, there is a drop-down list of "session types" from
which (on 11.04) you can choose "Ubuntu" for Unity or "classic" for a
GNOME 2 desktop.

The same applies if you're running an older version in the Netbook
Remix edition.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Ric Moore

On 09/24/2011 01:52 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

On 24/09/11 15:35, Ric Moore wrote:

On 09/24/2011 01:15 AM, Jon Anderson wrote:

I GET 270.41.06 IN NVIDIA XSERVER SETTINGS IN LSPCI -V it just says
Kernel driver in use: nvidia and under it says Kernel modules:
nvidia-current, nvidia-173, nouveau, nvidiafb. The nvidia- current is
what I thought I wanted loaded and I thought that was the 270 but it
seems not to be the one it is using. In additional drivers program it
says that nvidia-current is loaded but not being used. So I don't know.

Jockey should show you the recommended driver for your video
card/adapter. Did you try editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf yet, as I wrote
before?? If so, what happened? Ric

Baby steps, Ric, baby steps..... :-( .

How about recommending that this be read as a starter:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Video ?

I did do baby steps... if the xorg.conf file ain't right, nothing
happens. So, I asked if the attempt was made. Then what happened? You
know, the usual.

But, if his system doesn't want to allow that nVidia card to work, ala
eMachine, it's gonna be tougher. I feel the OP's pain though. But,
without that edit to xorg.conf, jockey will correctly report that though
the driver is loaded, and it's not being used because xorg.conf didn't
tell the system to use it. Simple. When he cut and pasted his copy it
showed nvidia wasn't being used. Ergo, it ain't and won't be used until
the edit makes it happen. >>IMHO<<

Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Ric Moore

On 09/24/2011 02:39 AM, Jon Anderson wrote:

The driver that additional driver says is activated is just called
Graphic driver(current) {recommended} But that says at the top of the
program that "no proprietary are in use on the system and at at the
bottom of the page it says "the driver is activated but not in use

.. I rest my case yer Honor. That is correct. xorg.conf hasn't told the
system to use the nvidia driver. Like this:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "D9M-20"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

I have no clue what your boardname is. But, it should work with just
Driver.

Open a terminal window.

cd /etc/X11
cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.orig

(you now have a copy of what works, even if half-assed.)

sudo gedit xorg.conf
just change that driver line to 'nvidia'

Save that and exit

Log out and login again. It'll blow or go. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Jon Anderson

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com

Thank you very much, so even though I'm in classic(i Think ) and using a different desktop it still is 11.04 (thats what it says), good to know. I think it must be unity desktop
that is causing the freezing problem. I have to check out one thing and that is to go into just ubuntu 11.04 and then go into classic and see what happens. INow when I boot I goto the first
Page that comes up and I check to use the lower video option.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Jon Anderson

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 01:39:45 -0500
Jon Anderson <jbander at izoom.net> wrote:

> The driver that additional driver says is activated is just called
> Graphic driver(current) {recommended} But that says at the top of the
> program that "no proprietary are in use on the system and at at the
> bottom of the page it says "the driver is activated but not in use

...and, since activating it, you have surely logged out and back in,
right?

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Yes, thank you.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Jon Anderson

On 09/24/2011 02:39 AM, Jon Anderson wrote:
> The driver that additional driver says is activated is just called
> Graphic driver(current) {recommended} But that says at the top of the
> program that "no proprietary are in use on the system and at at the
> bottom of the page it says "the driver is activated but not in use

.. I rest my case yer Honor. That is correct. xorg.conf hasn't told the
system to use the nvidia driver. Like this:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "D9M-20"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

I have no clue what your boardname is. But, it should work with just
Driver.

Open a terminal window.

cd /etc/X11
cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.orig

I get this in terminal= cp: cannot create regular file `xorg.conf.orig': Permission denied

(you now have a copy of what works, even if half-assed.)

sudo gedit xorg.conf
just change that driver line to 'nvidia'

There is absolutely nothing in getit, its blank. There is no driver line at all.