Old 03-13-2011, 03:29 PM

Default Re (2): SIP services and softphones: what do you guys use?

* From: Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>
* Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 00:02:50 +0200
> Is there an better softphone?

You can try Twinkle. The contact list and configuration are
text file based; design is generally spartan; no video.

> Is there a better sip address service than ekiga.net?

I use it with Twinkle. According to documentation, the SIP
service is used for signaling; not for the audio stream.
Ie. the SIP service has no effect on sound quality.
You should be able to open a peer-peer connection directly
without going through a SIP service. On average, sound
quality should be the same that way as when the SIP service
is used.

> Is there a better softphone for Windows than Ekiga?

This might help.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_VoIP_software

Also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_switching
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_switching

Regards, ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 450 2132.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 18:29, <peasthope@shaw.ca> wrote:
> * * * * From: Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>
> * * * * Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 00:02:50 +0200
>> Is there an better softphone?
>
> You can try Twinkle. *The contact list and configuration are
> text file based; design is generally spartan; no video.
>
>> Is there a better sip address service than ekiga.net?
>
> I use it with Twinkle. *According to documentation, the SIP
> service is used for signaling; not for the audio stream.
> Ie. the SIP service has no effect on sound quality.
> You should be able to open a peer-peer connection directly
> without going through a SIP service. *On average, sound
> quality should be the same that way as when the SIP service
> is used.
>
>> Is there a better softphone for Windows than Ekiga?
>
> This might help.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_VoIP_software
>
> Also
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_switching
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_switching

Thanks, Peter. I do need video, but the wiki links will likely be of
help. Have a great week.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il