Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   problem building lirc modules (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/500665-problem-building-lirc-modules.html)

Liam O'Toole 03-13-2011 08:03 AM

problem building lirc modules
 
On 2011-03-13, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
> When I run 'm-a a-i lirc' I get this error:
>
> echo " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";
> echo " include/linux/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";
> echo " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";
>
> I don't really know how to "Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src".
> Could somebody help me out? I tried running that command in
> /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common but I got these errors, so I assume I did it wrong.
>
> scripts/Makefile.build:44: /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common/scripts/basic/Makefile: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common/scripts/basic/Makefile'. Stop.
> make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2
>

Did you run 'm-a update' and 'm-a prepare' first?

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: slrninp22j.m36.liam.p.otoole@dipsy.tubbynet">http://lists.debian.org/slrninp22j.m36.liam.p.otoole@dipsy.tubbynet

Rob Owens 03-13-2011 01:30 PM

problem building lirc modules
 
On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 09:03:15AM +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2011-03-13, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
> > When I run 'm-a a-i lirc' I get this error:
> >
> > echo " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";
> > echo " include/linux/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";
> > echo " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";
> >
> > I don't really know how to "Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src".
> > Could somebody help me out? I tried running that command in
> > /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common but I got these errors, so I assume I did it wrong.
> >
> > scripts/Makefile.build:44: /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common/scripts/basic/Makefile: No such file or directory
> > make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common/scripts/basic/Makefile'. Stop.
> > make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2
> >
>
> Did you run 'm-a update' and 'm-a prepare' first?
>
Yes, several times actually!

-Rob


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110313143032.GA12475@aurora.owens.net">http://lists.debian.org/20110313143032.GA12475@aurora.owens.net

Liam O'Toole 03-13-2011 04:35 PM

problem building lirc modules
 
On 2011-03-13, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 09:03:15AM +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
>> On 2011-03-13, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
>> > When I run 'm-a a-i lirc' I get this error:
>> >
>> > echo " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";
>> > echo " include/linux/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";
>> > echo " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";
>> >
>> > I don't really know how to "Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src".
>> > Could somebody help me out? I tried running that command in
>> > /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common but I got these errors, so I assume I did it wrong.
>> >
>> > scripts/Makefile.build:44: /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common/scripts/basic/Makefile: No such file or directory
>> > make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common/scripts/basic/Makefile'. Stop.
>> > make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2
>> >
>>
>> Did you run 'm-a update' and 'm-a prepare' first?
>>
> Yes, several times actually!
>

Just checking :-) module-assisitant has never failed me once prepared
properly. Mind you, I've never tried to compile and install lirc.

Anyway, apt-file reports that the files include/linux/autoconf.h and
include/config/auto.conf are available in the various kernel-headers-*
packages (not in the kernel-headers-*-common packages). Is the
kernel-headers-* package matching your running kernel installed?

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: slrninq02k.m36.liam.p.otoole@dipsy.tubbynet">http://lists.debian.org/slrninq02k.m36.liam.p.otoole@dipsy.tubbynet

Rob Owens 03-13-2011 11:47 PM

problem building lirc modules
 
On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 05:35:16PM +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> Just checking :-) module-assisitant has never failed me once prepared
> properly. Mind you, I've never tried to compile and install lirc.
>
> Anyway, apt-file reports that the files include/linux/autoconf.h and
> include/config/auto.conf are available in the various kernel-headers-*
> packages (not in the kernel-headers-*-common packages). Is the
> kernel-headers-* package matching your running kernel installed?
>
I have linux-headers-2.6.32-5-686 installed, which matches my kernel. I
tried running 'make oldconfig && make prepare' from
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-686 and got these errors:

/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common/scripts/Makefile.build:44: /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common/scripts/basic/Makefile: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common/scripts/basic/Makefile'. Stop.
make[2]: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2
make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Funny thing is, I successfully build lirc on another similar (but not
identical) system. The two systems are my MythTV frontends. So I'm
pretty sure I'm not screwing up anything with module-assistant or
lirc. I purged all old kernel headers, but it did not seem to help.

-Rob


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110314004717.GC15120@aurora.owens.net">http://lists.debian.org/20110314004717.GC15120@aurora.owens.net

Liam O'Toole 03-14-2011 01:37 PM

problem building lirc modules
 
On 2011-03-14, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 05:35:16PM +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> I have linux-headers-2.6.32-5-686 installed, which matches my kernel. I
> tried running 'make oldconfig && make prepare' from
> /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-686 and got these errors:
>
> /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common/scripts/Makefile.build:44: /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common/scripts/basic/Makefile: No such file or directory
> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common/scripts/basic/Makefile'. Stop.
> make[2]: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2

Normally you would run 'make oldconfig' in the directory in which you
unzipped the kernel source (which is typically in your home directory)
in order to build your own kernel. But that should not be necessary
when using module-assistant.

>
> Funny thing is, I successfully build lirc on another similar (but not
> identical) system. The two systems are my MythTV frontends. So I'm
> pretty sure I'm not screwing up anything with module-assistant or
> lirc. I purged all old kernel headers, but it did not seem to help.
>

That is mysterious. Have you considered copying the generated deb file
from /usr/src on the other system and installing it on the troublesome
one? You won't get to the bottom of the problem you are reporting but
it would get the job done. Assuming the two systems have the same
architecture, of course.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: slrninsa24.m36.liam.p.otoole@dipsy.tubbynet">http://lists.debian.org/slrninsa24.m36.liam.p.otoole@dipsy.tubbynet

Rob Owens 03-14-2011 11:38 PM

problem building lirc modules
 
On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 02:37:57PM +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> > Funny thing is, I successfully build lirc on another similar (but not
> > identical) system. The two systems are my MythTV frontends. So I'm
> > pretty sure I'm not screwing up anything with module-assistant or
> > lirc. I purged all old kernel headers, but it did not seem to help.
> >
>
> That is mysterious. Have you considered copying the generated deb file
> from /usr/src on the other system and installing it on the troublesome
> one? You won't get to the bottom of the problem you are reporting but
> it would get the job done. Assuming the two systems have the same
> architecture, of course.
>
That's a brilliant idea (and it worked). And now that you mentioned it,
I kind of remember doing the same thing when I upgraded from Etch to
Lenny.

Thanks for the help.

-Rob


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110315003841.GA22226@aurora.owens.net">http://lists.debian.org/20110315003841.GA22226@aurora.owens.net


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:38 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.