Old 02-08-2008, 02:23 AM
ChadDavis

Default this list is on google groups

I didn't realize that until I joined a Google Group for Rails, went to my profile page and saw that Google could quickly display every post that I'd ever made to the debian list.* Kind of scarey to think that all of my posts to a list were being kept on record with out my knowing.* I'm sure that the debian list had an announcement about this, but I don't read every day.* Anybody else find this creepy?

Makes me wonder if i should check to see if my "Overly Fond of Goats" list has also been made a Google Group with out me knowing.* Sure wouldn't want anyone keeping tabs on those posts.* BTW, this bit about goats is a complete and hopefully humorous fabrication.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:33 AM
Thierry Chatelet

On Friday 08 February 2008 04:23, ChadDavis wrote:
> I didn't realize that until I joined a Google Group for Rails, went to my

How could it help others if it was not?
Thierry

Old 02-08-2008, 02:38 AM
steve

Old 02-08-2008, 02:55 AM
John Hasler

ChadDavis writes:
> I didn't realize that until I joined a Google Group for Rails, went to my
> profile page and saw that Google could quickly display every post that
> I'd ever made to the debian list.

All Debian lists except -private are publically archived by Debian. Google
very helpfully indexes them so that people in need of assistance with
Debian can search for previous discussions of their problems.

> Makes me wonder if i should check to see if my "Overly Fond of Goats"
> list has also been made a Google Group with out me knowing.

This is a mailing list? Is it publically archived somewhere or mirrored as
a newsgroup? If not how would Google have gotten at it?

> Sure wouldn't want anyone keeping tabs on those posts.

Now your boss knows they exist.

> BTW, this bit about goats is a complete and hopefully humorous
> fabrication.

Sure it is. _Sure_ it is.
--
John Hasler

Old 02-08-2008, 02:58 AM
John Hasler

Steve Reilly writes:
> its got nothing to with any announcement by debian list.

It has everything to do with the fact that Debian publically archives all
Debian lists except -private.

> search for your email address on any search engine you'll see quite
> surprising results if you post regularly to any mailing list.

Only mailing lists that are publically archived. Google has no way to get
at private lists.
--
John Hasler

Old 02-08-2008, 03:29 AM
cothrige

steve <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> writes:

> its got nothing to with any announcement by debian list. its web
> crawlers, they touch everything, scary huh. mailing lists are archived
> all over the net. search for your email address on any search engine
> you'll see quite surprising results if you post regularly to any mailing
> list.

Actually, I think the truth is even simpler than this. Google Groups is
a usenet archive and posting service. Debian-user is also a usenet
group, lists.debian.user, and all the posts here I think are
automatically crossposted to that newsgroup, and vice-versa. I have
used that method to browse through a time or two, though I prefer the
mailing list way of doing things a bit. But, because this is a
newsgroup and a list it has automatically been archived at google
groups. Or, at least I would think that is what is going on.

Patrick

Old 02-08-2008, 06:01 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 08:23:31PM -0700, ChadDavis <chadmichaeldavis@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> Makes me wonder if i should check to see if my "Overly Fond of Goats" list
> has also been made a Google Group with out me knowing. Sure wouldn't want
> anyone keeping tabs on those posts. BTW, this bit about goats is a complete
> and hopefully humorous fabrication.

I'm sure some guy at Google is wondering why they just got a spike in
searches for "Overly Fond of Goats"...

Daniel

Old 02-08-2008, 09:21 AM
"Dan H."

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 09:55:07PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:

> This is a mailing list? Is it publically archived somewhere or mirrored as
> a newsgroup?

Yes, it is. Read-only IIRC.

--D.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:39 AM
David Paleino

Il giorno Fri, 8 Feb 2008 11:21:52 +0100
"Dan H." <dunno@stoptrick.com> ha scritto:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 09:55:07PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
>
> > This is a mailing list? Is it publically archived somewhere or mirrored as
> > a newsgroup?
>
> Yes, it is. Read-only IIRC.

Not true: I'm writing now using gmane.org's interface

Kindly,
David

--
. '`. Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino
: :' : Linuxer #334216 --|-- http://www.hanskalabs.net/

Old 02-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Bob Cox

In article <20080208102152.GA4836@stoptrick.com>,
Dan H. <dunno@stoptrick.com> wrote:

> --6TrnltStXW4iwmi0
>
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 09:55:07PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
>=20
>> This is a mailing list? Is it publically archived somewhere or mirrored =
> as
>> a newsgroup?=20
>
> Yes, it is. Read-only IIRC.

Sorry, but no - this is a follow-up posted using slrn to the newsgroup
gmane.linux.debian.user, via the gmane NNTP server.

Registered user #445000 with the Linux Counter: http://counter.li.org/