Old 03-13-2011, 02:11 AM
Doug

Default Manual Install of SILO/Debian

On 03/12/2011 09:39 PM, A E [Gmail] wrote:

Hello All,

P.S> Sorry about
cross-posting, but you never know who has the answer

This might be a stupid
question but I'm wondering if someone knows (and if it's
possible) to install debian on a hard drive manually from
a "boot.img" file?*

I have a situation like
so:

an x86 machine with
Solaris 8 preinstalled on it. It's an appliance from a
vendor who's hardened it and/or made it in a way that no
matter what one does it always boots into this customized
Solaris 8 OS automatically starting their software. I
added an extra HDD to it, and would like to install Debian
on it. However, no matter what I try, I'm unable to get it
to boot off of the network to pick up the boot.img file
from the TFTP server. RARP, TFTP etc is all setup and I
have successfully installed Debian on a couple of Sparc
machines using this setup. However, even after changing
the values of boot-device etc using 'eeprom', I am unable
to get this machine to boot (or try to boot) from the
network. This may be a function of the network cards as
well with the configuration assistant setup to not boot
off the network and maybe the network doesn't get
initialized until after the OS has been initialized. By
interrupting the boot process however, I am able to have
it try booting from a CD or another HDD which it does
detect early on in the boot process.

So, the questions were,*

a) IS it possible for me
to get into the BIOS of the machine to turn on network
boot on this machine? I don't know what this machine is,
it's some custom built chassis with custom everything to
create this appliance.
b) OR,*I was thinking
that maybe I could partition the 2nd HDD while in Solaris,
install Debian/SILO on it either through boot.img or some
other way and then have it boot from this disk instead
into debian and then install whatever I want to install on
it.

The software installed
on this machine from the vendor is unsupported now and
that company/vendor has been bought over twice since we
bought this in 2004 and as a result am not able to get any
support for it and am unable to make it work the way I
want to so the idea is to install another OS on it (since
these are very powerful machines) and install whatever I
want on it.

Any ideas or help will
be appreciated.*

Thanks
AE

The following assumes that (at least) the Solaris drive is IDE, not
SATA.* If it's SATA, then you need to

find out if there are "master" channels and "slave" channels driving
the hard disks, and proceed as

suggested.* You can at least proceed with the Solaris drive
disconnected, but then there may be a

problem getting the system to boot off the Debian drive, unless the
MOBO has "master" and "slave"

SATA channels.

You now have two hard drives.* Disconnect the one with the Solaris
system on it.* Set drive number 2--

the one you added--as master, and install Debian or whatever you
want on it.* (I don't know what SILO

is).* Now make the Solaris drive a slave.* You should now be able to
boot Debian, and operate on the

Solaris drive.*

The only way I can see this not working, is if there is some
software on the motherboard, in a BIOS ROM

that's customized.* In that case, you may have to try and determine
whose MOBO it is, and find a

generic ROM* for it.* The saving grace is that the ROM is almost
certainly a plug-in part.* When you have

that information, someone on the list here may be able to help. (Not
me, unfortunately.)

Well, that's what I'd try.* Somebody smarter than me may have a
better solution.* Good luck!

--doug

Old 03-13-2011, 02:43 AM
"A E [Gmail]"

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 10:11 PM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Doug, unfortunately I'm not physically there where the machine is which is in another country but I do have serial/console access to it. So anything that needs to be done physically won't be possible. I have to make do with manipulating everything over the console using some cleaver tricks. SILO is just a boot-manager like LILO or GRUB I think. However I just realised that I don't need that since this isn't a Sparc machine...just an x86 machine with Solaris on it, so I may be able to simply install Debian for x86 on it which may be a little easier but again, I don't know how to do that manually without booting from a CD, USB or Network. I found netboot.tar.gz and other required files that linux uses to boot like initrd.gz and vmlinuz but I don't know how to "install" them such that they're read at boot time. Do I simply place them in the /boot partition of the drive and assume that it will boot from there? I don't think it would be that easy in my case because of the kind of hardware and the ROM that might be on this which seems to boot directly into the Solaris Configuration Assistant and then probably look for a Solaris boot image?

*