Old 03-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default SIP services and softphones: what do you guys use?

I'm trying to get rid of proprietary Skype and two of my most
important contacts are willing to give SIP a try. We all installed
Ekiga and signed up for ~@ekiga.net SIP addresses, but the sound
quality was very choppy and unusable. They are both on Windows.

Is there an better softphone? Is there a better sip address service
than ekiga.net? Is there a better softphone for Windows than Ekiga?

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 03-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Rob Owens

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 12:02:50AM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I'm trying to get rid of proprietary Skype and two of my most
> important contacts are willing to give SIP a try. We all installed
> Ekiga and signed up for ~@ekiga.net SIP addresses, but the sound
> quality was very choppy and unusable. They are both on Windows.
>
> Is there an better softphone? Is there a better sip address service
> than ekiga.net? Is there a better softphone for Windows than Ekiga?

I haven't used ekiga in about a year, but I always found their service
to be spotty. iptel.org was much more reliable, and you can use it with
the Ekiga software.

The only other softphone I've used is Twinkle. It worked, but I didn't
use it for very long. I was just testing the encryption. When I tried
it, I think it was the only Linux softphone that supported encryption.

-Rob

Old 03-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Allan Wind

On 2011-03-12 17:25:03, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 12:02:50AM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I'm trying to get rid of proprietary Skype and two of my most
> > important contacts are willing to give SIP a try. We all installed
> > Ekiga and signed up for ~@ekiga.net SIP addresses, but the sound
> > quality was very choppy and unusable. They are both on Windows.
> >
> > Is there an better softphone? Is there a better sip address service
> > than ekiga.net? Is there a better softphone for Windows than Ekiga?

Make sure you tweak the settings (codecs, bandwidth) before giving
up on Ekiga. That said Ekiga seems unstable on Windows at least
it freezes for my sister when we try to get it going with my
Linux machine.

When I worked with VoIP we used Xten's soft phone on Windows. I
think they call it X-Lite now. It is proprietary software but
open protocol (unlike Skype).

There a list of clients on the Ekiga site that might be of
interest to you:
<http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Ekiga_Interoperability>

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC

Old 03-12-2011, 09:43 PM
"John A. Sullivan III"

On Sat, 2011-03-12 at 17:25 -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 12:02:50AM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I'm trying to get rid of proprietary Skype and two of my most
> > important contacts are willing to give SIP a try. We all installed
> > Ekiga and signed up for ~@ekiga.net SIP addresses, but the sound
> > quality was very choppy and unusable. They are both on Windows.
> >
> > Is there an better softphone? Is there a better sip address service
> > than ekiga.net? Is there a better softphone for Windows than Ekiga?
> >
> I haven't used ekiga in about a year, but I always found their service
> to be spotty. iptel.org was much more reliable, and you can use it with
> the Ekiga software.
>
> The only other softphone I've used is Twinkle. It worked, but I didn't
> use it for very long. I was just testing the encryption. When I tried
> it, I think it was the only Linux softphone that supported encryption.
>
> -Rob

I don't spend a lot of time in Windows but I believe the two big freely
available softphones are SJPhone and 3CX - John

Old 03-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Liviu Andronic

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to get rid of proprietary Skype and two of my most
> important contacts are willing to give SIP a try. We all installed
> Ekiga and signed up for ~@ekiga.net SIP addresses, but the sound
> quality was very choppy and unusable. They are both on Windows.
>
> Is there an better softphone? Is there a better sip address service
> than ekiga.net? Is there a better softphone for Windows than Ekiga?

Ekiga has a nasty reputation of generally being non functional. I
couldn't make it work on my system, either. I've sampled a handful of
SIP softphones and stopped my attention to two: Linphone [1] and Jitsi
[2], both cross-platform.

Linphone is a mature application with robust sound, and good video (if
you follow the FAQ). On the downside the UI design is a bit rusty and
would need some love and attention, but nothing hopelessly bad. Jitsi
is different. It is still in active, pre-release development, although
many report using it in production mode and that it is stable
(personally I'm still having some hitches with the audio, but you
should try on your system). The upside of Jitsi is a clean and
intuitive interface (a bit similar to Skype on Linux), and long list
of fancy features, including support for many protocols
(Pidgin-style), audio, video, conferencing, encryption, desktop
sharing, call recording, etc. Both apps are open-source with
commercial support available.

You should try both and see which better fits your needs. If you're
looking for more alternatives, try this [3] [4]. Regards
Liviu

[1] http://alternativeto.net/software/linphone/
[2] http://alternativeto.net/software/sip-communicator/
[3] http://alternativeto.net/software/skype/
[4] http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/priority-projects/#skypereplacement

Old 03-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 00:02:50 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I'm trying to get rid of proprietary Skype and two of my most important
> contacts are willing to give SIP a try. We all installed Ekiga and
> signed up for ~@ekiga.net SIP addresses, but the sound quality was very
> choppy and unusable. They are both on Windows.
>
> Is there an better softphone? Is there a better sip address service than
> ekiga.net? Is there a better softphone for Windows than Ekiga?

I use Ekiga as "softphone" with a USB headset from Plantronics. As SIP
provider I use "12voip" (www.12voip.com), and works quite fine.

Not for professional usage, though, I use it for calling my family and
friends.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-13-2011, 07:53 PM
"John A. Sullivan III"

On Sun, 2011-03-13 at 12:43 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 00:02:50 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to get rid of proprietary Skype and two of my most important
> > contacts are willing to give SIP a try. We all installed Ekiga and
> > signed up for ~@ekiga.net SIP addresses, but the sound quality was very
> > choppy and unusable. They are both on Windows.
> >
> > Is there an better softphone? Is there a better sip address service than
> > ekiga.net? Is there a better softphone for Windows than Ekiga?
>
> I use Ekiga as "softphone" with a USB headset from Plantronics. As SIP
> provider I use "12voip" (www.12voip.com), and works quite fine.
>
> Not for professional usage, though, I use it for calling my family and
> friends.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

If I recall correctly, the question was about Windows solutions. Many
of those suggested are Linux only. I don't know about Ekiga but my
guess would be it is running on cygwin which introduces a considerable
shim between Ekiga and the native Windows IP stack. I would think that
could introduce some latency and some complexity. Something native like
might be much safer - John

Old 03-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Brian

On Sun 13 Mar 2011 at 00:02:50 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I'm trying to get rid of proprietary Skype and two of my most
> important contacts are willing to give SIP a try. We all installed
> Ekiga and signed up for ~@ekiga.net SIP addresses, but the sound
> quality was very choppy and unusable. They are both on Windows.
>
> Is there an better softphone? Is there a better sip address service
> than ekiga.net? Is there a better softphone for Windows than Ekiga?

You forgot the fourth question. "Is there a better way than using a
softphone?"

You also forgot to say how you would be using the telephone service and
what facilities were important for you.

But Twinkle with sipdiscount.com suits me when I choose to use it. What
will happen when qt4 comes along is not quite known.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:56 AM
Kelly Clowers

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 13:53, John A. Sullivan III
<jsullivan@opensourcedevel.com> wrote:

> If I recall correctly, the question was about Windows solutions. *Many
> of those suggested are Linux only. *I don't know about Ekiga but my
> guess would be it is running on cygwin which introduces a considerable
> shim between Ekiga and the native Windows IP stack. *I would think that
> could introduce some latency and some complexity. *Something native like
> might be much safer - John

Like many KDE and Gnome programs, Ekiga runs natively on Windows:
http://ekiga.net/yannick/win32/ekiga-setup-3.2.7.exe

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 03-14-2011, 07:17 AM
"John A. Sullivan III"

On Sun, 2011-03-13 at 20:56 -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 13:53, John A. Sullivan III
> <jsullivan@opensourcedevel.com> wrote:
> >
> > If I recall correctly, the question was about Windows solutions. Many
> > of those suggested are Linux only. I don't know about Ekiga but my
> > guess would be it is running on cygwin which introduces a considerable
> > shim between Ekiga and the native Windows IP stack. I would think that
> > could introduce some latency and some complexity. Something native like
> > might be much safer - John
>
> Like many KDE and Gnome programs, Ekiga runs natively on Windows:
> http://ekiga.net/yannick/win32/ekiga-setup-3.2.7.exe
>
> Cheers,
> Kelly Clowers

Interesting. I can see KDE applications if they are based upon Qt4 or
were compiled using the commercial Qt3. I wasn't aware that Gnome apps
could run without Cygwin and thought that most simply silently bundled
it but may very well be wrong. Are you sure it isn't running Cygwin
under the covers? Thanks for the correction - John