Old 03-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Lisi

Default Layout of /etc/services

In an /etc/services file, why are some port/protocol entries inset more than
others?

The obvious answer would be: because the names are longer and the entry
therefore needs more space. But that doesn't work. E.g. the two entries for
gds_ub (one for tcp, and one for udp) are indented the extra space, but the
two entries for radmin-port are not indented the extra space even though they
are longer names.

So - why is info on some entries inset more than that on others?

I realise that the answer may be totally trivial, but I am checking in case it
has meaning or even is important.

Lisi

Old 03-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Jerome BENOIT

Hello Lisi,

I am not sure about your question.
But I guess that part of the answer holds in what is meant by space:
' ' or ' '

In `/etc/services', ' ' is used but not ' ': try

cat -A /etc/services

to see that.
Given that,

cat /etc/services

gives an aligned port/protocol column.

Jerome

Archive: 4D7B8CD4.5040203@rezozer.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D7B8CD4.5040203@rezozer.net

Old 03-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 14:48:11 +0000, Lisi wrote:

> In an /etc/services file, why are some port/protocol entries inset more
> than others?

(...)

"man services" will give you additional information about the format of
that file. Both, spaces and tabs can be used as field separators.

sm01@stt008:~$ grep -e sgi -e vbox /etc/services
sgi-cmsd 17001/udp # Cluster membership services daemon
sgi-crsd 17002/udp
sgi-gcd 17003/udp # SGI Group membership daemon
sgi-cad 17004/tcp # Cluster Admin daemon
vboxd 20012/tcp # voice box system
vboxd 20012/udp

Beyond that, like in the above example, are just aesthetic issues, I'd say
(the first line uses two tabs instead three).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón