Old 03-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Stephen Powell

Default Cannot use USB floppy drive in Squeeze")

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 20:11:49 -0500 (EST), Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/25/2011 06:49 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> I have found the culprit: it was a bad floppy disk! The media was
>> physically defective and was causing I/O errors. Once I put a good
>> floppy in it, everything worked fine. How embarrassing! Thanks to
>> all who replied, and sorry for the noise.
>
> My wife's old computer (a tower sitting on the floor in a cabinet)
> once wouldn't boot, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out
> why. So I bought her a new PC.
>
> A year later, I looked at the old PC at just the correct angle and
> saw a disk in the floppy drive...
>
> *That* was embarrassing!

I have to admit that tops my story. But I think I can do better.
I once tore up the wall of my living room trying to find an
electrical problem, only to discover that the reason that the
electrical outlet wouldn't work was that it was a switched outlet
and the switch was off! That was bad enough. But to add insult
to injury, I actually have a four-year college degree in electrical
engineering! You'd think that an electrical engineer could figure
out that the switch was off, wouldn't you?

Now *that* was embarrassing!

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 03-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Stephen Powell put forth on 3/12/2011 8:30 AM:

> I have to admit that tops my story. But I think I can do better.
> I once tore up the wall of my living room trying to find an
> electrical problem, only to discover that the reason that the
> electrical outlet wouldn't work was that it was a switched outlet
> and the switch was off! That was bad enough. But to add insult
> to injury, I actually have a four-year college degree in electrical
> engineering! You'd think that an electrical engineer could figure
> out that the switch was off, wouldn't you?
>
> Now *that* was embarrassing!

BS EE != journeyman electrician, nor apprentice electrician, not even
shade tree electrician

A BS EE friend of mine asked myself and another friend to install a car
stereo for him as he had no clue how to go about it.

--
Stan

Old 03-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Stephen Powell

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 13:54:02 -0500 (EST), Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Stephen Powell put forth on 3/12/2011 8:30 AM:
>>
>> I have to admit that tops my story. But I think I can do better.
>> I once tore up the wall of my living room trying to find an
>> electrical problem, only to discover that the reason that the
>> electrical outlet wouldn't work was that it was a switched outlet
>> and the switch was off! That was bad enough. But to add insult
>> to injury, I actually have a four-year college degree in electrical
>> engineering! You'd think that an electrical engineer could figure
>> out that the switch was off, wouldn't you?
>>
>> Now *that* was embarrassing!
>
> BS EE != journeyman electrician, nor apprentice electrician, not even
> shade tree electrician
>
> A BS EE friend of mine asked myself and another friend to install a car
> stereo for him as he had no clue how to go about it.

That's true. We EEs get a lot of theory, but not much practical
experience. Draw me a circuit diagram with a voltage source and
a network of resistors and ask me what the current is through a
particular resistor and I have a decent chance of being able to
tell you -- eventually. But ask me what gauge of wire is
required by the electrical code for a certain application and I
would have absolutely no clue. They are different skill sets
for different purposes.

And yes, if I bought a car stereo, I would pay someone else to
install it. Still, even a lowly EE should have thought of the
possibility of a switched outlet.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :