Old 03-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Aniruddha

Default What are your best practices for running Debian unstable?

I've collected some best practices for running Debian unstable, I'm
curious to hear what other Debian unstable users do to minimize
possible problems with running Debian unstable. My current list:

* Install apt-listbugs
* Install apt-listchanges
* Check the ' Debian Weather' before dist-upgrades (
http://edos.debian.net/weather/ )
* Check 'Upgrade Warnings' in the aptosid forums before dist-upgrades

Old 03-12-2011, 11:43 AM
darkestkhan

2011/3/12 Aniruddha <mailingdotlist@gmail.com>:
> I've collected some best practices for running Debian unstable, *I'm
> curious to hear what other Debian unstable users do to minimize
> possible problems with running Debian unstable. My current list:
>
> * Install apt-listbugs
> * Install apt-listchanges
> * Check the ' Debian Weather' *before dist-upgrades (
> http://edos.debian.net/weather/ )
> * Check 'Upgrade Warnings' in the aptosid forums before dist-upgrades

Avoiding packages with really big dependency chains, reading
changelogs ( at least if I can download them, but sometimes it is
impossible ), being VERY wary when upgrading one of: initscripts,
initramfs, dash, and upgrading as often as possible ( this eases
possibles transitions lowering possible breakdowns of system ).

IMHO apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges are something that everyone
should have installed

I don't check Debian Weather, and I don't see a reason why should I do
dist-upgrade, after all I'm running sid constantly

darkestkhan

Old 03-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Aniruddha

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 1:43 PM, darkestkhan <darkestkhan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't check Debian Weather, and I don't see a reason why should I do
> dist-upgrade, after all I'm running sid constantly

There is a difference between upgrade and dist-upgrade. I prefer to do
an upgrade first followed by a dist-upgrade. From man apt-get:

upgrade
upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all
packages currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated
in /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently installed with new
versions available are
retrieved and upgraded; under no circumstances are
currently installed packages removed, or packages not already
installed retrieved and installed. New versions of currently installed
packages that cannot be upgraded
without changing the install status of another package will
be left at their current version. An update must be performed first so
that apt-get knows that new versions of packages are available.

dist-upgrade
dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of
upgrade, also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new
versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution
system, and it will attempt to
upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less
important ones if necessary. So, dist-upgrade command may remove some
packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list file contains a list of locations
from which to
retrieve desired package files. See also apt_preferences(5)
for a mechanism for overriding the general settings for individual
packages.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:29 PM
John Hasler

darkestkhan writes:
> ...I don't see a reason why should I do dist-upgrade, after all I'm
> running sid constantly...

Because the sort of inter-release changes dist-upgrade is intended to
handle can happen in Sid at any time.

--
John Hasler

Old 03-12-2011, 01:02 PM
"mike cutie and maia"

hi,

I tryied to do an apt-get install list-bugs and an apt-get install apt-list-bugs and also a search and can't find the package how can I install this and apt-listchanges?

Old 03-12-2011, 04:11 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

TOFU Corrected.

In <086801cbe0be$30b00080$92100180$@centurytel.net> , mike cutie and maia
>>IMHO apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges are something that everyone should
>>have installed
>
>I tryied to do an apt-get install list-bugs and an apt-get install
>apt-list-bugs and also a search and can't find the package how can I
>install this and apt-listchanges?

Spell the package name correctly. "darkestkhan" did: "apt-listbugs".
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 03-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 12:32:47PM +0100, Aniruddha wrote:
> I've collected some best practices for running Debian unstable, I'm
> curious to hear what other Debian unstable users do to minimize
> possible problems with running Debian unstable. My current list:
>
> * Install apt-listbugs
> * Install apt-listchanges
> * Check the ' Debian Weather' before dist-upgrades (
> http://edos.debian.net/weather/ )
> * Check 'Upgrade Warnings' in the aptosid forums before dist-upgrades

These are not bad idea but not that essential.

You have to have a rescue media or another relatively new content
partition which you can use to boot your system after you broke it with
upgrade. Dual boot + Rescue GRUB disk is something I always use to save
my recovery time.

Osamu

Old 03-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Brad Alexander

I also run apticron, regardless of release. This gives me a daily list of packages which needs to be upgraded, and in addition, a list of changelogs:

apticron has detected that some packages need upgrading on:

********dax
********[ 192.168.1.61 ]

The following packages are currently pending an upgrade:

********apt 0.8.12
********apt-utils 0.8.12
********binutils 2.21.0.20110302-2
********dmsetup 2:1.02.63-2

********gcc-4.5-base 4.5.2-5
********hostname 3.06
********libcurl3 7.21.4-1
Package Details:

Reading changelogs...
--- Changes for apt (apt apt-utils) ---
apt (0.8.12) unstable; urgency=low

**[ Michael Vogt ]
*** apt-pkg/deb/debindexfile.cc:
** *- ignore missing deb-src files in /var/lib/apt/lists, thanks
** * *to Thorsten Spindler (LP: #85590)
*** apt-pkg/contrib/fileutl.cc, apt-pkg/deb/dpkgpm.cc:

** *- honor Dpkg::Chroot-Directory in the RunScripts*() methods
*** apt-pkg/contrib/cdromutl.{cc,h}, apt-pkg/cdrom.{cc,h}:

This way, I can keep an eye out for packages the specific server (e.g. mediawiki related files on the wiki host) as well as the urgency of the upgrade. A few weeks ago, krb5 had an upgrade that was listed as "emergency".

Beyond this, I generally do aptitude upgrades instead of full-upgrades, at least until later in the wheezy cycle. I will try a full-upgrade occasionally, but unless it is clean or I can clean it up, I don't execute.

--b

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTi=x94s0fWncKj10Xj1hfY7gCGTwnaFh9+KSWBjt@mail .gmail.com

Old 03-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Freeman

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 12:32:47PM +0100, Aniruddha wrote:
> I've collected some best practices for running Debian unstable, I'm
> curious to hear what other Debian unstable users do to minimize
> possible problems with running Debian unstable. My current list:
>
> * Install apt-listbugs
> * Install apt-listchanges
> * Check the ' Debian Weather' before dist-upgrades (
> http://edos.debian.net/weather/ )
> * Check 'Upgrade Warnings' in the aptosid forums before dist-upgrades

I was a testing-mixed user but I followed squeeze into stable.

I used/use apt-move to keep a backup versions of every upgraded package.
Found it easier than Debian Snapshot because there is less search & verify
and no downloading.

Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody

Old 03-12-2011, 06:07 PM
darkestkhan

2011/3/12 John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org>:
> darkestkhan writes:
>> ...I don't see a reason why should I do dist-upgrade, after all I'm
>> running sid constantly...
>
> Because the sort of inter-release changes dist-upgrade is intended to
> handle can happen in Sid at any time.

I'm running sid / experimental so dist-upgrade in my case is almost
like throwing away half of the system; And I'm using aptitude
safe-upgrade which is good solution. Also frequent ( I'm doing upgrade
at least 2 times a day ) upgrades are really sorting out most of
inter-release changes that may ( or may not ) happen in Sid. Also
packages in Sid or experimental can have unsatisfied dependencies.

> Osamu writes:
>These are not bad idea but not that essential.
>
>You have to have a rescue media or another relatively new content
>partition which you can use to boot your system after you broke it with
>upgrade. Dual boot + Rescue GRUB disk is something I always use to save
>my recovery time.
>
>Osamu

For entire year ( I started using GNU/Linux year ago and from the
beginning I was using sid / experimnetal ) of running sid /
experimental I never had to recover my system.

darkestkhan