Old 03-11-2011, 11:47 PM
"Dr. Ed Morbius"

Default Mail filtering / rules: mutt + offlineimap + ???

I've been been using mutt + offlineimap for great justice ... except for
filtering.

I've previously relied on procmail for local rules management. While
Gmail's rules are reasonably decent, not all IMAP providers are as
blessed.

I'd also like to trigger libnotify messages on certain messages as well.

Hrm ... imapfilter according to the Consilience blog:

http://blog.grossmeier.net/2009/01/25/imapfilterofflineimapmsmtpmuttabook/

What are others using for this, and/or set up the bomb?

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist / |
Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist | When you seek unlimited power

Old 03-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Joel Roth

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 04:47:43PM -0800, Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:
> I've been been using mutt + offlineimap for great justice ... except for
> filtering.
>
> I've previously relied on procmail for local rules management. While
> Gmail's rules are reasonably decent, not all IMAP providers are as
> blessed.
>
> I'd also like to trigger libnotify messages on certain messages as well.
>
> Hrm ... imapfilter according to the Consilience blog:
>
> http://blog.grossmeier.net/2009/01/25/imapfilterofflineimapmsmtpmuttabook/
>
> What are others using for this, and/or set up the bomb?

Hi, I use a script based on the perl module Email::Filter.
Email::Filter's syntax is much better than procmail,
even allowing for Perl's much-maligned syntax.

You could place that in a .forward file.

I combined Email::Filter with an IMAP client library, and published
the code at https://github.com/bolangi/imapget .
Although it works for me, it needs work and should
be considered alpha code.

cheers,

--
Joel Roth

Old 03-12-2011, 10:41 PM
"Dr. Ed Morbius"

on 23:42 Fri 11 Mar, Joel Roth (joelz@pobox.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 04:47:43PM -0800, Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:
> > I've been been using mutt + offlineimap for great justice ... except for
> > filtering.
> >
> > I've previously relied on procmail for local rules management. While
> > Gmail's rules are reasonably decent, not all IMAP providers are as
> > blessed.
> >
> > I'd also like to trigger libnotify messages on certain messages as well.
> >
> > Hrm ... imapfilter according to the Consilience blog:
> >
> > http://blog.grossmeier.net/2009/01/25/imapfilterofflineimapmsmtpmuttabook/
> >
> > What are others using for this, and/or set up the bomb?
>
> Hi, I use a script based on the perl module Email::Filter.
> Email::Filter's syntax is much better than procmail,
> even allowing for Perl's much-maligned syntax.

Does that work with offlineimap? Note that I'm not getting mail
delivered through a local MTA/MDA, but directly to my mail folder(s).

Old 03-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Joel Roth

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 03:41:02PM -0800, Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:
> on 23:42 Fri 11 Mar, Joel Roth (joelz@pobox.com) wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 04:47:43PM -0800, Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:
> > > I've been been using mutt + offlineimap for great justice ... except for
> > > filtering.
> > >
> > > I've previously relied on procmail for local rules management. While
> > > Gmail's rules are reasonably decent, not all IMAP providers are as
> > > blessed.
> > >
> > > I'd also like to trigger libnotify messages on certain messages as well.
> > >
> > > Hrm ... imapfilter according to the Consilience blog:
> > >
> > > http://blog.grossmeier.net/2009/01/25/imapfilterofflineimapmsmtpmuttabook/
> > >
> > > What are others using for this, and/or set up the bomb?
> >
> > Hi, I use a script based on the perl module Email::Filter.
> > Email::Filter's syntax is much better than procmail,
> > even allowing for Perl's much-maligned syntax.
>
> Does that work with offlineimap? Note that I'm not getting mail
> delivered through a local MTA/MDA, but directly to my mail folder(s).

'offlineimap' doesn't appear to provide any hooks for
influencing local delivery.

The imapget script gets messages from an IMAP mailbox
'INBOX', ignoring already downloaded messages.
You could point it toward a local IMAP mail server
and "download" from there.