Old 03-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Dan

Default File server without the Xserver

Hi,

I am going to prepare a File Server with Debian in a ProLiant and I think that I will not install the X-Server. But I would like to run remotely some gnome X programs with ssh. Which package should I install to do this,* only xauth or I also need xbase-clients plus the gnome programs?

Is it better for a File Server to make a text-based installation or it is recommended to install also the X-Server to have GUI in the server?

Regards,
Dan

Old 03-11-2011, 08:07 PM
shawn wilson

I am going to prepare a File Server with Debian in a ProLiant and I think that I will not install the X-Server. But I would like to run remotely some gnome X programs with ssh. Which package should I install to do this,* only xauth or I also need xbase-clients plus the gnome programs?

Is it better for a File Server to make a text-based installation or it is recommended to install also the X-Server to have GUI in the server?

file server != application server. personally, i enjoy running linux (or bsd) based file servers rather than emc and the like. however, if you run gui applications, it will take up some of the network resources (and disk) for your application.

if you want to run x windows apps, you need the x server (i think that's just xserver-common). and you'll want to look at these in ssh_config:
** ForwardX11 no
** ForwardX11Trusted yes

that's really about it. just ssh -x <host> and export DISPLAY=0:0 (iirc) and launch whatever you want.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Erwan David

On 11/03/11 22:07, shawn wilson wrote:

> if you want to run x windows apps, you need the x server (i think that's
> just xserver-common). and you'll want to look at these in ssh_config:
> ForwardX11 no
> ForwardX11Trusted yes

No you do not need the X server for running X applications remotely.

Best solution is tio install applications you want through apt/aptitude
and the needed libraries will be installed as dependencies.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:09 PM
"Dr. Ed Morbius"

on 15:41 Fri 11 Mar, Dan (ganchya@gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am going to prepare a File Server with Debian in a ProLiant and I think
> that I will not install the X-Server. But I would like to run remotely some
> gnome X programs with ssh. Which package should I install to do this, only
> xauth or I also need xbase-clients plus the gnome programs?

You'll just need the x clients components. APT will handle those
dependencies nicely for you. That's its job.

Installing an X server is unnecessary unless you're running a display
locally. Some remote display protocols (VNC, NX) essentially /do/ do
this, and when used in this fashion, you could install /their/ X server
components to satisfy requirements.

For remote tunnelled SSH X11 clients, you're using your local X11
server.

> Is it better for a File Server to make a text-based installation or it is
> recommended to install also the X-Server to have GUI in the server?

My preference is to keep servers as lean as possible. The
CPU/disk/memory overhead is generally not a concern. Security/stability
and risk of cruft is. Some vendors absolutely insist on having a full
GUI installed to use, or (in the case of Oracle), simply to /install/
their products.

Nuts.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist / |
Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist | When you seek unlimited power

Old 03-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Dan

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius@gmail.com> wrote:

on 15:41 Fri 11 Mar, Dan (ganchya@gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,

> I am going to prepare a File Server with Debian in a ProLiant and I think

> that I will not install the X-Server. But I would like to run remotely some

> gnome X programs with ssh. Which package should I install to do this, *only

> xauth or I also need xbase-clients plus the gnome programs?

You'll just need the x clients components. *APT will handle those

dependencies nicely for you. *That's its job.

Installing an X server is unnecessary unless you're running a display

locally. *Some remote display protocols (VNC, NX) essentially /do/ do

this, and when used in this fashion, you could install /their/ X server

components to satisfy requirements.

For remote tunnelled SSH X11 clients, you're using your local X11

server.

> Is it better for a File Server to make a text-based installation or it is

> recommended to install also the X-Server to have GUI in the server?

My preference is to keep servers as lean as possible. *The

CPU/disk/memory overhead is generally not a concern. *Security/stability

and risk of cruft is. *Some vendors absolutely insist on having a full

GUI installed to use, or (in the case of Oracle), simply to /install/

their products.

Nuts.

Yes I do agree that it is better to keep the server as lean as possible. That is why I will not install the XServer

I will just use apt to handle the dependencies but I will check that xauth is also installed. I think that I need xauth to tunnel X11 through ssh.

Dan

Old 03-11-2011, 11:14 PM
"Dr. Ed Morbius"

on 18:37 Fri 11 Mar, Dan (ganchya@gmail.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > on 15:41 Fri 11 Mar, Dan (ganchya@gmail.com) wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am going to prepare a File Server with Debian in a ProLiant and I think
> > > that I will not install the X-Server. But I would like to run remotely
> > some
> > > gnome X programs with ssh. Which package should I install to do this,
> > only
> > > xauth or I also need xbase-clients plus the gnome programs?
> >
> > You'll just need the x clients components. APT will handle those
> > dependencies nicely for you. That's its job.
> >
> > Installing an X server is unnecessary unless you're running a display
> > locally. Some remote display protocols (VNC, NX) essentially /do/ do
> > this, and when used in this fashion, you could install /their/ X server
> > components to satisfy requirements.
> >
> > For remote tunnelled SSH X11 clients, you're using your local X11
> > server.
> >
> > > Is it better for a File Server to make a text-based installation or it is
> > > recommended to install also the X-Server to have GUI in the server?
> >
> > My preference is to keep servers as lean as possible. The
> > CPU/disk/memory overhead is generally not a concern. Security/stability
> > and risk of cruft is. Some vendors absolutely insist on having a full
> > GUI installed to use, or (in the case of Oracle), simply to /install/
> > their products.
> >
> > Nuts.
> >

> Yes I do agree that it is better to keep the server as lean as possible.
> That is why I will not install the XServer
>
> I will just use apt to handle the dependencies but I will check that xauth
> is also installed. I think that I need xauth to tunnel X11 through ssh.

xauth is required by xbase-clients. It'll get installed with that.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Dan

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius@gmail.com> wrote:
> on 18:37 Fri 11 Mar, Dan (ganchya@gmail.com) wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius@gmail.com>wrote:
> xauth is required by xbase-clients. *It'll get installed with that.

Should I then install xbase-clients?

Old 03-12-2011, 12:06 AM
"Dr. Ed Morbius"

on 19:57 Fri 11 Mar, Dan (ganchya@gmail.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius@gmail.com> wrote:
> > on 18:37 Fri 11 Mar, Dan (ganchya@gmail.com) wrote:
> >> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius@gmail.com>wrote:
> > xauth is required by xbase-clients. *It'll get installed with that.
>
> Should I then install xbase-clients?

Please re-read the first paragraph I wrote in my first response to you
on this thread.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:08 AM
"Dr. Ed Morbius"

on 16:07 Fri 11 Mar, shawn wilson (ag4ve.us@gmail.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Dan <ganchya@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am going to prepare a File Server with Debian in a ProLiant and I think
> > that I will not install the X-Server. But I would like to run remotely some
> > gnome X programs with ssh. Which package should I install to do this, only
> > xauth or I also need xbase-clients plus the gnome programs?
> >
> > Is it better for a File Server to make a text-based installation or it is
> > recommended to install also the X-Server to have GUI in the server?
> >
> file server != application server. personally, i enjoy running linux (or
> bsd) based file servers rather than emc and the like. however, if you run
> gui applications, it will take up some of the network resources (and disk)
> for your application.

This is a minimal consideration, really, for modern server systems.

> if you want to run x windows apps, you need the x server (i think that's

Incorrect.

> just xserver-common). and you'll want to look at these in ssh_config:
> ForwardX11 no
> ForwardX11Trusted yes
>
> that's really about it. just ssh -x <host> and export DISPLAY=0:0
> (iirc) and launch whatever you want.

No export is necessary. In fact, that will break SSH's X11 forwarding,
as it creates its own socket and sets DISPLAY appropriately.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Dan put forth on 3/11/2011 2:41 PM:
> Hi,
>
> I am going to prepare a File Server with Debian in a ProLiant and I think
> that I will not install the X-Server. But I would like to run remotely some
> gnome X programs with ssh. Which package should I install to do this, only
> xauth or I also need xbase-clients plus the gnome programs?
>
> Is it better for a File Server to make a text-based installation or it is
> recommended to install also the X-Server to have GUI in the server?

If you want to make sure you get all the GUI tools you need without
chasing them down individually after doing a text only install, simply
do a standard desktop install but then set the default runlevel to 2.

--
Stan