Old 03-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Charles Blair

Default Is there a netinst CD image for lenny?

I have been unable to get squeeze to work on a machine
that previously was running lenny (details sketched below).
Is a "lenny" version of the netinst CD image still
available?

I have been trying to install squeeze on an i386 desktop.
The installation using a netinst CD seems to work, but
when I reboot, the monitor briefly displays:

> 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC.

after which I get a black screen. I have tried typing "e"
at the grub prompt and adding "nopic" at the end of a line
that begins

> linux /boot/vmlinuz-blahblah

but that has not helped. I have been able to use the
"rescue mode" of the CD to try editing files, but am not
sure which file to edit or exactly how to change it.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:30:58 -0600, Charles Blair wrote:

> I have been unable to get squeeze to work on a machine that previously
> was running lenny (details sketched below). Is a "lenny" version of the
> netinst CD image still available?

Yes:

http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/debian-installer/

> I have been trying to install squeeze on an i386 desktop.
> The installation using a netinst CD seems to work, but when I reboot,
> the monitor briefly displays:
>
>> 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC.

(...)

I would investigate that error further. Google provides some hints:

http://www.google.com/search?q=8254+timer+not+connected+to+IO-APIC&hl=en&tbo=1&complete=0&site=&output=search&so urce=lnt&tbs=qdr:y&sa=X&ei=TFl6TeSHH8bAhAeIofziBg& ved=0CAgQpwUoBQ

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Vi, 11 mar 11, 10:30:58, Charles Blair wrote:

> after which I get a black screen. I have tried typing "e"
> at the grub prompt and adding "nopic" at the end of a line
> that begins

"nopic" or "noapic"? Try also "nolapic"

Regards,
Andrei