Old 03-11-2011, 10:41 AM
ML mail

Default Use Debian lenny package on Debian squeeze

Dear Debian users,

I would like to know if it is possible to use a Debian lenny package on a Debian
squeeze installation and if yes how (what apt-get commands and/or modifications
in sources.list)?

Let me explain why: I am using Bacula to do backups on a Debian lenny box and
upgraded one server being backed up to Debian squeeze. Since then the backups
are not running because Debian squeeze uses Bacula version 5.0 and the backup
server (lenny) uses Bacula version 2.4. It is know that these two versions are
not compatible together anymore (rejected hello command error).

So I was wondering if it is somehow possible to install the Debian lenny
versions of bacula-common and bacula-fd packages on Debian squeeze...?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Regards

Old 03-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Alex Mestiashvili

I would like to know if it is possible to use a Debian lenny package on a Debian
squeeze installation and if yes how (what apt-get commands and/or modifications
in sources.list)?

Let me explain why: I am using Bacula to do backups on a Debian lenny box and
upgraded one server being backed up to Debian squeeze. Since then the backups
are not running because Debian squeeze uses Bacula version 5.0 and the backup
server (lenny) uses Bacula version 2.4. It is know that these two versions are
not compatible together anymore (rejected hello command error).

So I was wondering if it is somehow possible to install the Debian lenny
versions of bacula-common and bacula-fd packages on Debian squeeze...?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Regards

one way is to specify in /etc/apt/sources.list lenny repository
and try to install from it
like apt-get install bacula-fd -t lenny , but in case of bacula
which has many dependencies that probably will not work

another way ( I prefer that one ) is to get the sources for the old
bacula-*

and compile them on squeeze

you also need to define
deb-src pointing to the lenny repository
like deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib

than run something like that
mkdir /tmp/bacula
cd /tmp/bacula
apt-get source bacula-fd
cd bacula-$version
debuild -us -uc

you need devscripts package or pbuilder or ..
most probably you don't have all dependencies , so you'll need to
install them .
when all dependencies are satisfied it will (or will not ) build the
package which you can

install on squeeze .

and the 3'rd case is to update your bacula-director on lenny with
bacula-director -5.0 from http://backports.debian.org .
Anyway one day you'll need to upgrade to squeeze .

Regards ,
Alex

Archive: 4D7A32AB.6040000@biotec.tu-dresden.de">http://lists.debian.org/4D7A32AB.6040000@biotec.tu-dresden.de

Old 03-11-2011, 02:40 PM
ML mail

Dear Alex,

Many thanks for your answer and great help. I tried the second variant (getting
bacula 2.4 from the sources of lenny) and saw that there are all these
dependencies:

pkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: libjconv-dev libsqlite0-dev
libsqlite3-dev libmysqlclient15-dev libpq-dev postgresql-server-dev-8.3 |
postgresql-server-dev-8.2 libwrap0-dev python-dev libgtk2.0-dev (>= 2.10)
libgnome2-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev libacl1-dev libkrb5-dev libgnomeui-dev libx11-dev
mtx bc libxt-dev libqt4-dev libqwt5-qt4-dev

Do you know what is the procedure for all the dependencies? Do I need for all of
these to do a "apt-get source oldpackage=oldversion" and build them using
debuild?

Regards

Old 03-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Alex Mestiashvili

On 03/11/2011 04:40 PM, ML mail wrote:

Dear Alex,

Many thanks for your answer and great help. I tried the second variant (getting
bacula 2.4 from the sources of lenny) and saw that there are all these
dependencies:

You are welcome

pkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: libjconv-dev libsqlite0-dev
libsqlite3-dev libmysqlclient15-dev libpq-dev postgresql-server-dev-8.3 |
postgresql-server-dev-8.2 libwrap0-dev python-dev libgtk2.0-dev (>= 2.10)
libgnome2-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev libacl1-dev libkrb5-dev libgnomeui-dev libx11-dev
mtx bc libxt-dev libqt4-dev libqwt5-qt4-dev

Do you know what is the procedure for all the dependencies? Do I need for all of
these to do a "apt-get source oldpackage=oldversion" and build them using

usually higher versions are ok ( if the api of the new versions aren't
totally changed )

As you can see for some of them you should have greater than * version -
libgtk2.0-dev (>= 2.10) for example .

So I would try with current versions from squeeze .

if you don't want to install all the development stuff to the server
than try pbuilder .
It will create a minimal necessary build environment , install all
dependencies , build

the package , and clean up it the after all .
But you should mention that you need to build package for squeeze and not
for sid (unstable) which is used by default.

debuild?

Regards

--
Alexander Mestiashvili
System Administrator BIOTEC TU-Dresden

Archive: 4D7A47F1.3060801@biotec.tu-dresden.de">http://lists.debian.org/4D7A47F1.3060801@biotec.tu-dresden.de

Old 03-11-2011, 03:50 PM
ML mail

As you suggested I installed the package dependencies for Bacula using the
packages for squeeze, which went fine for some packages but not for the
libsqlite3-dev pacakge asou you can see here:

# apt-get install libsqlite3-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

libsqlite3-dev : Depends: libsqlite3-0 (= 3.7.3-1) but 3.7.4-2 is to be
installed
E: Broken packages

Do you have any idea how I can resolve this problem?

Regards

> Many thanks for your answer and great help. I tried the second variant
(getting
> bacula 2.4 from the sources of lenny) and saw that there are all these
> dependencies:

You are welcome

Old 03-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Alex Mestiashvili

On 03/11/2011 05:50 PM, ML mail wrote:

As you suggested I installed the package dependencies for Bacula using the
packages for squeeze, which went fine for some packages but not for the
libsqlite3-dev pacakge asou you can see here:

# apt-get install libsqlite3-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

libsqlite3-dev : Depends: libsqlite3-0 (= 3.7.3-1) but 3.7.4-2 is to be
installed
E: Broken packages

This is strange , are you sure that it is squeeze ? , what does
lsb_release -a say ?

could you please post here the content of /etc/apt/sources.list

Archive: 4D7A5EFE.6080807@biotec.tu-dresden.de">http://lists.debian.org/4D7A5EFE.6080807@biotec.tu-dresden.de

Old 03-17-2011, 01:50 PM
ML mail

Dear Alex,

Sorry for the late reply, I was away a few days. I am pretty sure it is squeeze
but it was lenny before and has been updated to squeeze recently.

Here is the output of lsb_release -a:

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Release: 6.0
Codename: squeeze

And the content of /etc/apt/sources.list:

# squeeze
deb http://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
# unstable
#deb http://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
# Security updates
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib no
n-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib no
n-free
# dotdeb
deb http://packages.dotdeb.org stable all
deb-src http://packages.dotdeb.org stable all

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anymore information.

Regards