Old 02-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Default Question about flac

Andrius wrote:

Hi,

there is new CD box on the table that should get inside PC.
On the box is mark "24bits/96khz recording".
In Rhytmbox preferences string to flack next:
audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! flacenc name=enc
So, encoding is going only about 44100khz sampling like for casual CD.
How to make that encoding should act for 96000Hz sampling.

I don't know the answer but you mean FLAC Free Lossless Audio Codec not
flack, as you wrote.

But it gave me a chance to find out about FLAC, sounds neat.

Hugo

Old 02-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Jochen Schulz

Hugo Vanwoerkom:

> But it gave me a chance to find out about FLAC, sounds neat.

It is! It looks as if it may become the de-facto standard for lossless
audio (well, there's Apple's lossless format, too...). I use it to
archive my CD collection and encode to other (lossy) formats only when I
need them. What's especially nice is that FLAC uses Vorbiscomment for
metadata storage. That's why you can encode Ogg Vorbis directly from
FLAC files while keeping all the original metadata.

J.
--
I often blame my shortcomings on my upbringing.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 02-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Александър Л. Димитров

Quoth Jochen Schulz:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom:
> >
> > But it gave me a chance to find out about FLAC, sounds neat.
>
> It is! It looks as if it may become the de-facto standard for lossless
> audio (well, there's Apple's lossless format, too...). I use it to
> archive my CD collection and encode to other (lossy) formats only when I
> need them. What's especially nice is that FLAC uses Vorbiscomment for
> metadata storage. That's why you can encode Ogg Vorbis directly from
> FLAC files while keeping all the original metadata.

Most notably, it seems to be all pirate's choice for lossless audio encoding.
And everyone publishing his/her music on the web (paid or not) I've seen so far
offers flac if they offer lossless at all.
Like it or not, piracy and free distribution will be important - if not the most
important factors - in the acceptance level of flac or any other audio codec.

Aleks

Old 02-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Jochen Schulz

Александър Л. Димитров:
> Quoth Jochen Schulz:
>>
>> It is! It looks as if it may become the de-facto standard for lossless
>> audio (well, there's Apple's lossless format, too...). I use it to
>> archive my CD collection and encode to other (lossy) formats only when I
>> need them. What's especially nice is that FLAC uses Vorbiscomment for
>> metadata storage. That's why you can encode Ogg Vorbis directly from
>> FLAC files while keeping all the original metadata.
>
> Most notably, it seems to be all pirate's choice for lossless audio encoding.

Not only pirates', but bootleggers' choice as well, ACK.

> And everyone publishing his/her music on the web (paid or not) I've seen so far
> offers flac if they offer lossless at all.

I think Apple sells some lossless files as well -- of course, using
their own lossless format (ALAC). Unfortunately, Apple is in a very good
position to introduce new formats into the market via iTunes and iPods.

But probably lossless audio formats won't play a big role in the near
future anyway. Any good MP3 or Vorbis encoder can produce very good
results for at least 95% of the listeners in 192kBit/s. Using more
space is just waste. My (FLAC-compatible) portable player has never seen
a single FLAC file although it features a 20GB hard disk.

And, let's be honest: even most file sharers don't care very much about
audio quality. If they did, they wouldn't fill their hard drives with
128kBit/s CBR MP3s and listen to them with the crappy earphones they
bought together with their portable player. Before the iPod, many people
didn't even know that there are other formats than MP3 and most people
still have no clue what VBR encoding is and why it may be a good idea to
use it.

J.
--
My medicine shelf is my altar.