-   -   How to make a movie to play on Full Screen (on Wide-screen) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/50-how-make-movie-play-full-screen-wide-screen.html)

Jabka Atu 11-16-2007 06:09 PM

How to make a movie to play on Full Screen (on Wide-screen)

Hello,...

I wish to play some movies on dear lenny (Testing).

lenny lives with a wide screen (Acer 5102 wlmi 15.4") and i have some
issues with the full screen :

when i play a movie that was designed for 4:3 screen xine will add black
lines around the video.

so i get "a smaller view inside a box".

any ideas ?

I think that there is a way to enlarge the image (video) so it will fill
the screen (in full mode).

Thank you in advance

Could you at least use man ?
Jabka Atu (aka mha13/Mashrom Head) || bsh83.blogspot.com

Sven Joachim 11-16-2007 06:42 PM

Jabka Atu <mashrom.head@gmail.com> writes:

> I wish to play some movies on dear lenny (Testing).
>
> lenny lives with a wide screen (Acer 5102 wlmi 15.4") and i have some
> issues with the full screen :
>
> when i play a movie that was designed for 4:3 screen xine will add black
> lines around the video.

Yes. That is necessary to keep the proportions.

> so i get "a smaller view inside a box".
>

> any ideas ?

1) Buy only 16:10 movies, or
2) Buy an external 4:3 monitor and watch the movie there.

> I think that there is a way to enlarge the image (video) so it will fill
> the screen (in full mode).

It may be possible, but you probably do not want to go for it, unless
you have a foible for broad-shouldered people and/or distorting
mirror cabinets. OTOH, anorexic models might look better than in
reality. ;-)

Cheers,
Sven

"Oscar Blanco" 11-19-2007 12:51 AM

2007/11/16, Jabka Atu <mashrom.head@gmail.com>:
> Hello,...
Hi Jabka,

> when i play a movie that was designed for 4:3 screen xine will add black
> lines around the video.
>
> so i get "a smaller view inside a box".
>

> any ideas ?

I've got an idea, don't know if this is what you are looking for.

I've been using mplayer during about six months. Sometimes, I've got
the same black lines because mplayer autodetects the image ratio and
adjust it to the screen size. But, during the play, just press 'f' for
full screen mode and 'e' several times to adjust this ratio. As a
result, you will get the video image without horizontal black lines.

If you want to return to the original ratio, just press 'w' several times.
I know that you can also do this including some options during the
call in the command line, but I don't remember now what are they.

If you haven't installed mplayer just make
# apt-get install mplayer

You won't have all packages because it does not have mencoder (licence
problems, as far as I know), but it will work.
Also, you might need CODECs, so you will find them in
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html
Look for Binary Codec Packages and download the one you need for your platform.

Extract the CODECs in
/usr/local/lib/codecs
(this is the default path...you might need to change this)

and now you can type from console
$ mplayer fullpathtothemovie
e.g. $mplayer /home/movie1.avi
e.g. $mplayer dvd://1
e.g. $mplayer dvd://2
e.g. $mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device /media/something (when the
data is in some directory)

As I said, press 'e' and 'w' to modify the pan.

You can also, download some skins for this player but I haven't ever used them.

In my experience it is a GREAT player, you can control so many
variables and still working with default configurations. So, my advice
is have a look.

You will find here part of the manual.
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1.html

Kind regards,

--
Oscar Blanco García
Ingeniero Electrónico - Universidad Nacional de Colombia