Old 03-11-2011, 05:32 AM

Default regular user can't umount automount drive

Howdy,

Here's the option line from the auto.media file:

/media/thingy -fstype=vfat,users,flush,rw,umask=0000 :/dev/ipod

I could have sworn this was working...

I posted a while back and found out that the "users" option had to be in
there.

Now I get this :

umount: /media/thingy is not in the fstab (and you are not root)

I could have sworn it was working...#$#%#@!!

any ideas ?

Brian

Old 03-11-2011, 06:17 AM
Klistvud

Here's the option line from the auto.media file:

/media/thingy -fstype=vfat,users,flush,rw,umask=0000 :/dev/ipod

I could have sworn this was working...

I posted a while back and found out that the "users" option had to be
in

there.

Now I get this :

umount: /media/thingy is not in the fstab (and you are not root)

I could have sworn it was working...#$#%#@!!

any ideas ?

Brian

To my knowledge, automounter is supposed to unmount the device
automatically -- not manually -- once all processes have stopped using
it (for example, it will not unmount the device so long as there's a
Nautilus window somewhere displaying its contents). Just make sure no
process is accessing the device, and it should get unmounted in due
time.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:05 AM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 08:17:47 +0100
Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:

> Dne, 11. 03. 2011 07:32:31 je briand@aracnet.com napisal(a):
> > Howdy,
> >
> > Here's the option line from the auto.media file:
> >
> > /media/thingy
> > -fstype=vfat,users,flush,rw,umask=0000 :/dev/ipod
> >
> > I could have sworn this was working...
> >
> > I posted a while back and found out that the "users" option had to
> > be in
> > there.
> >
> > Now I get this :
> >
> > umount: /media/thingy is not in the fstab (and you are not root)
> >
> > I could have sworn it was working...#$#%#@!!
> >
> > any ideas ?
> >
> > Brian
> >

> To my knowledge, automounter is supposed to unmount the device
> automatically -- not manually -- once all processes have stopped
> using it (for example, it will not unmount the device so long as
> there's a Nautilus window somewhere displaying its contents). Just
> make sure no process is accessing the device, and it should get
> unmounted in due time.

It _can_ automagically unmount it, you can specify the amount of time
before it umounts. However this should not prevent me from explicitly
umount'ing.

Again, I was just sure that this was working at one point, and with the
users keyword it really should be.

Brian

Old 03-13-2011, 06:39 PM
"george.standish@gmail.com"

Brian,

I am experiencing the same issue with external EXT formatted drives
with the automounter (in Gnome). They mount just fine, but I must
become root to umount them.

If you find a solution, please share it with the mailing list

Best of luck,
George

Old 03-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Jonathan Matthews

On 11 March 2011 06:32, <briand@aracnet.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Here's the option line from the auto.media file:
>
> /media/thingy *-fstype=vfat,users,flush,rw,umask=0000 * :/dev/ipod
>
> I could have sworn this was working...
>
> I posted a while back and found out that the "users" option had to be in
> there.

The option specified by mount(8)'s manpage is "user", not "users". I
don't recall if that relates to the automounter at all.

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Matthews
London, UK

Old 03-13-2011, 09:25 PM
"george.standish@gmail.com"

> The option specified by mount(8)'s manpage is "user", not "users". I
> don't recall if that relates to the automounter at all.

Your statement regarding user vs users is correct.

It doesn't affect the automounter however, as I don't have an fstab
line regarding my external drives - this may be the solution to
Brian's issue.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:03 PM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 21:34:55 +0000
Jonathan Matthews <contact@jpluscplusm.com> wrote:

> On 11 March 2011 06:32, <briand@aracnet.com> wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > Here's the option line from the auto.media file:
> >
> > /media/thingy *-fstype=vfat,users,flush,rw,umask=0000 * :/dev/ipod
> >
> > I could have sworn this was working...
> >
> > I posted a while back and found out that the "users" option had to
> > be in there.
>
> The option specified by mount(8)'s manpage is "user", not "users". I
> don't recall if that relates to the automounter at all.

it's deja vu all over again :-)

this was the issue last time, I was using "user", and since automount,
i.e. the system was mounting the filesystem I could not umount. So I
changed the keyword to users and everything was working fine, until
now...

when you use "user" only the user who mount'ed can umount, therefore
the "user" keyword will not work for an automounted filesystem.

#$#%@%!! The problem is that there must be an fstab entry !! Putting
an fstab entry in allows me to umount the device.

WTF ?

Isn't this a bug ? Since automount is invoking mount with the users
option, shouldn't I be able to umount ?

Maybe this little gem from the man page for mount is a hint:

Some of these options are only useful when they appear in the
/etc/fstab file.

Hey, how about discussing which options fall into that category. It's
certainly not obvious to me that "users" should.

I think that is the problem. Observe the flags reported when I enter
the mount command with no args:

rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,flush,umask=0000

Notice that users does no appear in the list although the flush and
umask settings do.

ugh. why does everything have to be so hard...

Brian