Old 03-11-2011, 01:46 AM

Default LD_PRELOAD= versus /etc/modules ... ; was "Re (2): LD_PRELOAD= versus /etc/modules ... "

From: Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:24:29 +0000 (UTC)
> I'm not aware of a kernel module named v4l1compat, so I can't see how
> explicitly loading such a module would have helped anyway.

OK, a spelling error.
peter@dalton:~$ egrep -v '(^ *#)|(^ *$)' /etc/modules
loop
v4l1_compat

> The problem you were facing was a userspace one, namely, how to force an
> executable to load a library that would not otherwise be loaded. That's
> what LD_PRELOAD achieves.

Is "loading /usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so" synonymous with "loading module
v4l1_compat"? If so, then why does the library work for skype in one case
and not in the other?

Thanks, ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 450 2132.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:54 AM
Dave Witbrodt

I'm not aware of a kernel module named v4l1compat, so I can't see how
explicitly loading such a module would have helped anyway.

[...]

The problem you were facing was a userspace one, namely, how to force an
executable to load a library that would not otherwise be loaded. That's
what LD_PRELOAD achieves.

Is "loading /usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so" synonymous with "loading module
v4l1_compat"? If so, then why does the library work for skype in one case
and not in the other?

Dude, Liam explained that. The file 'v4l1compat.so' is a library file,
known as DLL files (dynamic link libraries) in Windows and as SO files
(shared object) in Linux. It is not a part of the kernel, and therefore
is not a module that can be modprobe'd, blacklisted, etc.

HTH,
Dave W.