Old 03-10-2011, 08:26 PM

Default LD_PRELOAD= versus /etc/modules ... ; was "using exec in a script"

From: Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 20:03:52 +0000 (UTC)
> #!/bin/sh
> export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so
> exec /usr/bin/skype

Works perfectly. Thanks.

For sake of interest, another approach which failed was to list
v4l1compat in /etc/modules and invoke /usr/bin/skype in ~/.config/auto*/skype* .

peter@dalton:~$ egrep -v '(^ *#)|(^ *$)' /etc/modules
loop
v4l1compat

Why does this fail while use of LD_PRELOAD as above works?

Regards, ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 450 2132.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Liam O'Toole

On 2011-03-10, peasthope@shaw.ca <peasthope@shaw.ca> wrote:
> From: Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 20:03:52 +0000 (UTC)
>> #!/bin/sh
>> export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so
>> exec /usr/bin/skype
>
> Works perfectly. Thanks.
>
> For sake of interest, another approach which failed was to list
> v4l1compat in /etc/modules and invoke /usr/bin/skype in ~/.config/auto*/skype* .
>
> peter@dalton:~$ egrep -v '(^ *#)|(^ *$)' /etc/modules
> loop
> v4l1compat
>
> Why does this fail while use of LD_PRELOAD as above works?

The problem you were facing was a userspace one, namely, how to force an
executable to load a library that would not otherwise be loaded. That's
what LD_PRELOAD achieves.

I'm not aware of a kernel module named v4l1compat, so I can't see how
explicitly loading such a module would have helped anyway.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland