Old 03-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Klistvud

Default Fglrx left lint on my Squeeze box!

Howdie, fellow Debianites!

Upon installing Squeeze weeks ago I made a dumb mistake of trying to
set up the #@%&! fglrx driver. I then set up the free radeon driver and
am very satisfied with it. However, the attempted fglrx install seems
to have left some spurious files scattered over my system. Just take a
look at the output of "locate fglrx":

<snip>

/etc/acpi/fglrx-powermode.sh
/etc/acpi/events/fglrx-ac
/etc/acpi/events/fglrx-lid
/etc/default/fglrx-atieventsd
/etc/default/fglrx-driver
/etc/init.d/fglrx-atieventsd
/etc/rc0.d/K01fglrx-atieventsd
/etc/rc1.d/K01fglrx-atieventsd
/etc/rc2.d/S19fglrx-atieventsd
/etc/rc3.d/S19fglrx-atieventsd
/etc/rc4.d/S19fglrx-atieventsd
/etc/rc5.d/S19fglrx-atieventsd
/etc/rc6.d/K01fglrx-atieventsd
/usr/lib/fglrx
/usr/lib/fglrx/diversions
/usr/lib32/fglrx
/usr/lib32/fglrx/diversions
/var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-atieventsd_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-control_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-driver_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-glx-ia32_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-glx_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-modules-dkms_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-atieventsd.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-atieventsd.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-control.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-control.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-driver.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-driver.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-glx-ia32.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-glx-ia32.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-glx.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-glx.postrm
/var/lib/update-rc.d/fglrx-atieventsd

</pins>

This happened despite the fact that I've since thoroughly uninstalled
-- in fact, purged -- the fglrx packages. Will these leftovers
interfere with my system, now perfectly running radeon, in any way?

Specifically, what do you make of those symlinks under /etc/rcx.d/ ?
Will they slow down my boots perceptibly?

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Klistvud

Sorry for the double post; Balsa mail having a fit again...

Old 03-11-2011, 04:00 AM
"Dr. Ed Morbius"

on 21:03 Thu 10 Mar, Klistvud (quotations@aliceadsl.fr) wrote:
> Howdie, fellow Debianites!
>
> Upon installing Squeeze weeks ago I made a dumb mistake of trying to
> set up the #@%&! fglrx driver.

Via a Debian package?

> I then set up the free radeon driver and am very satisfied with it.
> However, the attempted fglrx install seems to have left some spurious
> files scattered over my system. Just take a look at the output of
> "locate fglrx":
>
> <snip>
>
> /etc/acpi/fglrx-powermode.sh
> /etc/acpi/events/fglrx-ac
> /etc/acpi/events/fglrx-lid
> /etc/default/fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/default/fglrx-driver
> /etc/init.d/fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/rc0.d/K01fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/rc1.d/K01fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/rc2.d/S19fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/rc3.d/S19fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/rc4.d/S19fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/rc5.d/S19fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/rc6.d/K01fglrx-atieventsd
> /usr/lib/fglrx
> /usr/lib/fglrx/diversions
> /usr/lib32/fglrx
> /usr/lib32/fglrx/diversions
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-atieventsd_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-control_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-driver_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-glx-ia32_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-glx_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-modules-dkms_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-atieventsd.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-atieventsd.postrm
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-control.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-control.postrm
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-driver.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-driver.postrm
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-glx-ia32.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-glx-ia32.postrm
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-glx.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-glx.postrm
> /var/lib/update-rc.d/fglrx-atieventsd
>
> </pins>
>
> This happened despite the fact that I've since thoroughly
> uninstalled -- in fact, purged -- the fglrx packages. Will these
> leftovers interfere with my system, now perfectly running radeon, in
> any way?

You're aware that locate uses a static database that's generally only
updated daily? You should be using 'slocate' or 'mlocate'.

You can force an update with "sudo /etc/dron.daily/mlocate".

Confirm that the cruft is indeed left behind. In which case, you might
wish to inquire about the rapture as well.

You can check for any packages known to own these files using
'auto-apt', or by searching for each of these files via: 'dpkg -S
<filename>' (do this in a shell loop to avoid the obvious tedium
involved, unless you're into obvious tedium, of course, not that there's
anything wrong with that).

> Specifically, what do you make of those symlinks under /etc/rcx.d/ ?
> Will they slow down my boots perceptibly?

I'm almost certain they will if you stress about it enough.

I'd divert/rename/tar off the relevant files, test to see if the
Universe implodes, and if it doesn't, not stress life too much
afterward.

> -- Cheerio,

Yeah, sure.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist / |
Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist | When you seek unlimited power

Old 03-11-2011, 06:02 AM
Klistvud

Dne, 11. 03. 2011 06:00:18 je Dr. Ed Morbius napisal(a):

on 21:03 Thu 10 Mar, Klistvud (quotations@aliceadsl.fr) wrote:
> Howdie, fellow Debianites!
>
> Upon installing Squeeze weeks ago I made a dumb mistake of trying to
> set up the #@%&! fglrx driver.

Via a Debian package?

Yep, via aptitude from the stock Squeeze repositories (the non-free
section).

> I then set up the free radeon driver and am very satisfied with it.
> However, the attempted fglrx install seems to have left some
spurious

> files scattered over my system. Just take a look at the output of
> "locate fglrx":
>
> <snip>
>
> /etc/acpi/fglrx-powermode.sh
> /etc/acpi/events/fglrx-ac
> /etc/acpi/events/fglrx-lid
> /etc/default/fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/default/fglrx-driver
> /etc/init.d/fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/rc0.d/K01fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/rc1.d/K01fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/rc2.d/S19fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/rc3.d/S19fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/rc4.d/S19fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/rc5.d/S19fglrx-atieventsd
> /etc/rc6.d/K01fglrx-atieventsd
> /usr/lib/fglrx
> /usr/lib/fglrx/diversions
> /usr/lib32/fglrx
> /usr/lib32/fglrx/diversions
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-atieventsd_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-control_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-driver_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-glx-ia32_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-glx_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-modules-dkms_1%3a10-9-3_amd64.deb
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-atieventsd.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-atieventsd.postrm
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-control.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-control.postrm
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-driver.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-driver.postrm
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-glx-ia32.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-glx-ia32.postrm
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-glx.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fglrx-glx.postrm
> /var/lib/update-rc.d/fglrx-atieventsd
>
> </pins>
>
> This happened despite the fact that I've since thoroughly
> uninstalled -- in fact, purged -- the fglrx packages. Will these
> leftovers interfere with my system, now perfectly running radeon, in
> any way?

You're aware that locate uses a static database that's generally only
updated daily? You should be using 'slocate' or 'mlocate'.

I will.

You can force an update with "sudo /etc/dron.daily/mlocate".
Confirm that the cruft is indeed left behind. In which case, you
might

wish to inquire about the rapture as well.

On my system, running 'rapture --why-not --purge-cruft' just gives me
an 'Only superuser can purge cruft. Rapture scheduled for next reboot.'

You can check for any packages known to own these files using
'auto-apt', or by searching for each of these files via: 'dpkg -S
<filename>'

Thanks, will do.

(do this in a shell loop to avoid the obvious tedium
involved, unless you're into obvious tedium, of course, not that
there's

anything wrong with that).

I'm using a computer. I'm into obvious tedium by definition.

> Specifically, what do you make of those symlinks under /etc/rcx.d/ ?
> Will they slow down my boots perceptibly?

I'm almost certain they will if you stress about it enough.

Trying not to. I'm putting lots of effort, planning and preparation
into being casual about it.

I'd divert/rename/tar off the relevant files, test to see if the
Universe implodes, and if it doesn't, not stress life too much
afterward.

We don't have Universe, we have contrib and non-free. And now, with the
firmware-free kernel, Universe may well implode, for all we care.

> -- Cheerio,

Yeah, sure.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist / |
Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist | When you seek
unlimited power
Krell Power Systems Unlimited | Go to
Krell!

--
Peace,

Old 03-11-2011, 09:40 PM
"Dr. Ed Morbius"

on 08:02 Fri 11 Mar, Klistvud (quotations@aliceadsl.fr) wrote:
> Dne, 11. 03. 2011 06:00:18 je Dr. Ed Morbius napisal(a):
> >on 21:03 Thu 10 Mar, Klistvud (quotations@aliceadsl.fr) wrote:
> >> Howdie, fellow Debianites!
> >>
> >> Upon installing Squeeze weeks ago I made a dumb mistake of trying to
> >> set up the #@%&! fglrx driver.

> >I'd divert/rename/tar off the relevant files, test to see if the
> >Universe implodes, and if it doesn't, not stress life too much
> >afterward.
>
> We don't have Universe, we have contrib and non-free. And now, with
> the firmware-free kernel, Universe may well implode, for all we
> care.

Clearly, I will have to refocus my life's work into understanding the
mysteries of contrib and non-free.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:45 PM
"Dr. Ed Morbius"

on 08:02 Fri 11 Mar, Klistvud (quotations@aliceadsl.fr) wrote:
> Dne, 11. 03. 2011 06:00:18 je Dr. Ed Morbius napisal(a):
> >on 21:03 Thu 10 Mar, Klistvud (quotations@aliceadsl.fr) wrote:
> >> Howdie, fellow Debianites!
> >>
> >> Upon installing Squeeze weeks ago I made a dumb mistake of trying to
> >> set up the #@%&! fglrx driver.

> >You can force an update with "sudo /etc/dron.daily/mlocate".
> >Confirm that the cruft is indeed left behind. In which case, you
> >might
> >wish to inquire about the rapture as well.
>
> On my system, running 'rapture --why-not --purge-cruft' just gives
> me an 'Only superuser can purge cruft. Rapture scheduled for next
> reboot.'

Permissions should also be delegated to members of the 'crucifix' group
via SGID.

As an undocumented feature, UID 666 can also purge cruft, though this
may result in a persistant 'brimstone' filesystem artifact.