Old 03-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Jonathan Maron

Default Debian 6 / Xen 4 / blktap2

Hello all

I am updating a test system from Debian 5 and Xen 3.2 to Debian 6 and Xen 4.

After dist-upgrading, I did:

aptitude -P install xen-hypervisor-4.0-i386 linux-image-xen-686

And then fixed Grub2 to boot the xen kernel.

cat /etc/debian_version return 6, uname -a returns:

Linux xen-test 2.6.32-5-xen-686 #1 SMP Wed Jan 12 07:52:18 UTC 2011 i686
GNU/Linux

So far so good.

I previously used "tap:aio" to link in the hard disks of the domUs:

disk = [
'tap:aio:/var/xen/domains/myhost/swap.img,sda1,w',
'tap:aio:/var/xen/domains/myhost/disk.img,sda2,w'
]

After some research, I see that the successor "blktap2" is not available
as a Debian package (see http://j.mp/dK59hn).

What is the recommended way of linking in hard disk images in Debian 6?

I am aware you can use "file:", but this has not been recommended since
Debian 4.

Alternatively, are there any unofficial repositories with packaged
"blktap2"?

Will "blktap2" return to Debian at some point, hence waiting would be
the best solution?

Or does anyone have any other solutions?

TIA

Jonathan Maron

Text Control GmbH
Firmensitz: Admiralstr. 54, D-28215 Bremen
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bremen HRB 25927
Geschäftsführer: Heiner Suhr

Archive: 4D78D042.8040606@theimagingsource.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D78D042.8040606@theimagingsource.com

Old 03-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Jonathan Maron

Archive: 4D78D218.1060703@theimagingsource.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D78D218.1060703@theimagingsource.com

Old 03-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Alexis de BRUYN

Hi Jonathan,

> Will "blktap2" return to Debian at some point, hence waiting would be
> the best solution?
You must patch rebuild xen-common and xen-utils packages.
See : http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=586772#30

Alexis de BRUYN
email : alexis@de-bruyn.fr