Old 03-09-2011, 11:13 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

Default Upgrading the old OS vs. fresh installation of the new OS

In <20110309171317.41bb9188.jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com >, Jason Hsu wrote:
>Which do you prefer: Upgrading the old OS or doing a fresh installation? I
>learn towards a fresh installation.

Upgrade. Always.

I've heard others swear by "New install. Always." though.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 03-10-2011, 01:03 AM
Greg Madden

On Wednesday 09 March 2011 02:13:17 pm Jason Hsu wrote:
> I'd especially like to hear from those of you who are Linux consultants or
> sysadmins. This is a timely topic given that Debian Squeeze moved from the
> testing branch to the stable branch.
>
> Which do you prefer: Upgrading the old OS or doing a fresh installation? I
> learn towards a fresh installation.
>
> One the one hand, upgrading the old OS is fast and requires no downtime IF
> everything goes well. Of course, that is one big IF, and I'm not sure if
> things have ever gone perfectly in the entire history of the world. Some
> things change from one version of Debian to the next, and what worked in
> the old version won't work at all in the new version, especially in the
> area of configuration files. The more packages you have installed, the
> more problems you'll have.
>
> On the other hand, a fresh installation bypasses the upgrade issues. You
> can always just repeat the installation procedure from the previous version
> of Debian and make adjustments when appropriate. You need to properly back
> up the personal/company files in this case, but you'd have to do that
> anyway as a precaution if you use the upgrade route.
>
> What do you think?
>
> --
> Jason Hsu <jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com>

I find that upgrades work very well for workstations. My workstation has a few
services running, apache, samba, nfs, multi-head xorg file, multiple hard drives
(fstab) I like that I don't have to start over configuring stuff to get back to
where I was. It might depend on how complicated your setup us.

I do like separate partitions/hd for /home, /usr/local & /pub/mirrors. A fresh
would not be a complete disaster.

In my experience upgrades have gone well as long as I read the release note, I
also following this list for heads up on issues.

--
Peace,

Greg

Old 03-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 17:13:17 -0600, Jason Hsu wrote:

> I'd especially like to hear from those of you who are Linux consultants
> or sysadmins. This is a timely topic given that Debian Squeeze moved
> from the testing branch to the stable branch.
>
> Which do you prefer: Upgrading the old OS or doing a fresh installation?
> I learn towards a fresh installation.

(...)

A fresh/new install, if possible, in parallel.

I always avoid removing something that is currently working if it's in
production. I prefer installing apart, test the new system, check for any
problem and then decide with confidence.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Klistvud

A fresh/new install, if possible, in parallel.

I always avoid removing something that is currently working if it's in
production. I prefer installing apart, test the new system, check for
any

problem and then decide with confidence.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

+1

The advantage of having the old system available in parallel is in that
you can easily copy all your specific/modified configuration files over
to the new install, or at least use them as reference.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 03:26:02PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 17:13:17 -0600, Jason Hsu wrote:
>
> > I'd especially like to hear from those of you who are Linux consultants
> > or sysadmins. This is a timely topic given that Debian Squeeze moved
> > from the testing branch to the stable branch.
> >
> > Which do you prefer: Upgrading the old OS or doing a fresh installation?
> > I learn towards a fresh installation.
>
> (...)
>
> A fresh/new install, if possible, in parallel.

+1 too
YES!

> I always avoid removing something that is currently working if it's in
> production. I prefer installing apart, test the new system, check for any
> problem and then decide with confidence.

1. back up critical information
2. fresh/new install to the different partition
3. copy cofig from the old to the new system
4. enjoy your new system
5. upgrade the old installation to the new one by upgrade per release-note
6. file bug :-)

Having dual boot saves your life when you do stupid things ...

Osamu

Old 03-10-2011, 06:04 PM
David Christensen

A fresh/new install, if possible, in parallel.

+1 too

+1

Having dual boot saves your life when you do stupid things ...

So does having a spare machine, using hard drive mobile docks, and/or
using drive imaging software.

David

Archive: 4D7920B1.6030608@holgerdanske.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D7920B1.6030608@holgerdanske.com

Old 03-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Paul E Condon

On 20110310_110417, David Christensen wrote:
> On 03/10/2011 08:03 AM, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> >>A fresh/new install, if possible, in parallel.
> >+1 too
>
> +1
>
> >Having dual boot saves your life when you do stupid things ...

Dual boot has gotten somewhat messy, IMHO, since the introduction of
UUIDs in /etc/fstab. When one boots into the old installation, the
/etc/fstab is incapable of mounting the newer installation because
the old UUID on that root partition has been clobbered.

At least I haven't figured out a convenient way to switch back and
forth. Any suggestions?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 03-11-2011, 12:30 AM
Greg Madden

On Thursday 10 March 2011 02:21:24 pm Paul E Condon wrote:
> Dual boot has gotten somewhat messy, IMHO, since the introduction of
> UUIDs in /etc/fstab. When one boots into the old installation, the
> /etc/fstab is incapable of mounting the newer installation because
> the old UUID on that root partition has been clobbered.
>
> At least I haven't figured out a convenient way to switch back and
> forth. Any suggestions?

On one box I changed my Lenny install fstab to use uuid's early on. I have not
experienced the 'clobbered uuid' issue when I installed a second root partition.

Maybe all you need to do is run 'blkid' again and make sure grub and the fstab(s)
agree.
--
Peace,

Greg

Old 03-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Jo, 10 mar 11, 16:21:24, Paul E Condon wrote:

> Dual boot has gotten somewhat messy, IMHO, since the introduction of
> UUIDs in /etc/fstab. When one boots into the old installation, the
> /etc/fstab is incapable of mounting the newer installation because
> the old UUID on that root partition has been clobbered.
>
> At least I haven't figured out a convenient way to switch back and
> forth. Any suggestions?

Re-formating a partition will generate a new UUID. If you want to write
a "stable" fstab just use LABELs instead and make sure you assign the
same label every time you reformat the partition.

(You can set the UUID at re-formating as well, but LABELs are easier to
handle in such a scenario)

Regards,
Andrei