Old 03-09-2011, 07:28 PM

Default Re (2): preloading a driver for an autostarted application in LXDE

> The script should go in /usr/local/bin/ directly;

Where is it specified? This sentence in the policy page cited previously suggests
that dir should be under /usr/local/bin/. "These directories (/usr/local/*/dir/)
should be removed on package removal if they are empty." So my previous message
should have suggested /usr/local/bin/dir/skype/skype.

> Exec="LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype"
>
> (I haven't tested the above. It's just a guess.)

Tried that prior to the original query. It failed. Maybe /usr/local/.../skype is right after all.

Thanks , ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 450 2132.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Liam O'Toole

On 2011-03-09, peasthope@shaw.ca <peasthope@shaw.ca> wrote:
>> The script should go in /usr/local/bin/ directly;
>
> Where is it specified? This sentence in the policy page cited previously suggests
> that dir should be under /usr/local/bin/. "These directories (/usr/local/*/dir/)
> should be removed on package removal if they are empty." So my previous message
> should have suggested /usr/local/bin/dir/skype/skype.

The policy you cite above is targeted at builders of Debian packages.
The text "dir" is not a literal; it is substituted with the name of the
software. See the example for emacs given further down in the page you
quote.

Anyway, none of that applies in the case of the simple workaround which
you are implementing: a script to be placed somewhere in the user's path
such that it won't get clobbered by an official Debian package.
/usr/local/bin is the place to be.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland