Old 03-09-2011, 04:52 PM
David Christensen

Default Debian Squeeze gcc 4.3 and 4.4 why two C compilers?

debian-user:

I recently installed Debian 6.0.0 i386 Squeeze on a system with NVIDIA
graphics. When I went to build/ install the proprietary NVIDIA video
driver, it wanted gcc. So I installed the Debian gcc package. The
NVIDIA installer then informed me that the version of gcc installed on
my system (4.4) did not match the version used to compile the kernel
(4.3). So, I installed the Debian package gcc-4.3, set the CC
environment variable, and installed the NVIDIA driver.

Why does Debian have, and I presume use (?), two versions of gcc?

David

Archive: 4D77BE66.1090000@holgerdanske.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D77BE66.1090000@holgerdanske.com

Old 03-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 09:52:38 -0800, David Christensen wrote:

> I recently installed Debian 6.0.0 i386 Squeeze on a system with NVIDIA
> graphics. When I went to build/ install the proprietary NVIDIA video
> driver, it wanted gcc. So I installed the Debian gcc package. The
> NVIDIA installer then informed me that the version of gcc installed on
> my system (4.4) did not match the version used to compile the kernel
> (4.3). So, I installed the Debian package gcc-4.3, set the CC
> environment variable, and installed the NVIDIA driver.
>

> Why does Debian have, and I presume use (?), two versions of gcc?

Two versions?

I'd say there are even more (3.4, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5...) and I'm
afraid this is not a Debian specific (other distributions should do the
same way) :-)

Different GCC versions may be needed to match different software
compilation requirements.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Camaleón wrote:

I recently installed Debian 6.0.0 i386 Squeeze on a system with NVIDIA
graphics. When I went to build/ install the proprietary NVIDIA video
driver, it wanted gcc. So I installed the Debian gcc package. The
NVIDIA installer then informed me that the version of gcc installed on
my system (4.4) did not match the version used to compile the kernel
(4.3). So, I installed the Debian package gcc-4.3, set the CC
environment variable, and installed the NVIDIA driver.

Why does Debian have, and I presume use (?), two versions of gcc?

Two versions?

I'd say there are even more (3.4, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5...) and I'm
afraid this is not a Debian specific (other distributions should do the
same way) :-)

Different GCC versions may be needed to match different software
compilation requirements.

Right. I see it when I use 4.4 but the kernel-headers package needs 4.3
because the kernel is compiled with that particular version, so 4.3 is
installed. I now have 4.4 and 4.5 installed.

Hugo

Archive: ilaue6$d2h$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ilaue6$d2h$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 03-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Darac Marjal

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:32:05AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Camaleón wrote:
> >On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 09:52:38 -0800, David Christensen wrote:
> >
> >>I recently installed Debian 6.0.0 i386 Squeeze on a system with NVIDIA
> >>graphics. When I went to build/ install the proprietary NVIDIA video
> >>driver, it wanted gcc. So I installed the Debian gcc package. The
> >>NVIDIA installer then informed me that the version of gcc installed on
> >>my system (4.4) did not match the version used to compile the kernel
> >>(4.3). So, I installed the Debian package gcc-4.3, set the CC
> >>environment variable, and installed the NVIDIA driver.
> >>

> >>Why does Debian have, and I presume use (?), two versions of gcc?
> >
> >Two versions?
> >
> >I'd say there are even more (3.4, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5...) and
> >I'm afraid this is not a Debian specific (other distributions
> >should do the same way) :-)
> >
> >Different GCC versions may be needed to match different software
> >compilation requirements.
> >

> Right. I see it when I use 4.4 but the kernel-headers package needs
> 4.3 because the kernel is compiled with that particular version, so
> 4.3 is installed. I now have 4.4 and 4.5 installed.

I believe it's Debian Policy to always build the kernel with the current
STABLE GCC. At the moment, that's 4.3.

Unfortunately, my google-fu's failing me at the moment and I can't find
a source for this factoid.