Old 02-07-2008, 09:41 PM
"Yuriy Kuznetsov"

Default How to set Samba and Cups on different servers ?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for Samba printing gurus on this list and my sencere appologies for sending this email to wide alias.
Could you help with your advice on how to set samba on one server and cups on another server?

At the moment I have Samba+OpenLDAP+CUPS on the same server but I need to move CUPS to another machine for some reason.
So lets assume that at the moment windows clients(and they are the most users on the network) can see printers on Server1(Samba+OpenLDAP+CUPS). CUPS installed on Server2(CUPS) and it is possible to print directly(using lp) to the same printers. So what changes need to be done so that users still will be loging to Server1 but print effectivly via Server2. I reckon that printers still would be shown on the network using Samba on Server1.

I was trying the following :
Added "cups server = IP-address-server2"* to /etc/samba/smb.conf on server1:
******* printing = cups
******* printcap name = cups
******* cups server = 192.168.1.20

Also I have updated /etc/cups/printers.conf with printers' information on
server2.* After I have restarted samba on server1 I have lost connection
to all printers which originally were on server1.

Did anyone set something similar ?

Could you give an example of smb.conf with external CUPS server configuration in it, please?

Thanks a lot in advance,
yuriy