Old 03-09-2011, 03:32 PM

Default preloading a driver for an autostarted application in LXDE

Folk,

Seems that v4l1compat.so is needed for a USB camera to work for Skype.
So
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
given interactively starts skype with a working camera.

Normally Skype in this system is started by the presence of
~/.config/autostart/skype.desktop containing the line "Exec=skype"
but quoting from
"http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html#exec-variables",
"The Exec key must contain a command line."
So
Exec=LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
doesn't work.

A possibility is a trivial script /usr/local/bin/dir/skype
or /usr/local/bin/dir/skype/skype, containing just two lines.
#!/bin/sh
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

According to my understanding, that is consistent with Debian policy.
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html

Can anyone suggest a better way of having the v4l1compat.so preload automatically?

Which is the correct name for the script according to FSH, Filesystem Hierarchy?
/usr/local/bin/dir/skype
or
/usr/local/bin/dir/skype/skype

Thanks, ... Peter E.

--
Telephone 1 360 450 2132.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Liam O'Toole

On 2011-03-09, peasthope@shaw.ca <peasthope@shaw.ca> wrote:
> Folk,
>
> Seems that v4l1compat.so is needed for a USB camera to work for Skype.
> So
> LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
> given interactively starts skype with a working camera.
>
> Normally Skype in this system is started by the presence of
> ~/.config/autostart/skype.desktop containing the line "Exec=skype"
> but quoting from
> "http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html#exec-variables",
> "The Exec key must contain a command line."
> So
> Exec=LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
> doesn't work.

Try

Exec="LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype"

(I haven't tested the above. It's just a guess.)

> A possibility is a trivial script /usr/local/bin/dir/skype
> or /usr/local/bin/dir/skype/skype, containing just two lines.
> #!/bin/sh
> LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
>
> According to my understanding, that is consistent with Debian policy.
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html
>
> Can anyone suggest a better way of having the v4l1compat.so preload automatically?
>
> Which is the correct name for the script according to FSH, Filesystem Hierarchy?
> /usr/local/bin/dir/skype
> or
> /usr/local/bin/dir/skype/skype

The script should go in /usr/local/bin/ directly; then it will be in the
user's path automatically.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

Old 03-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Chris Davies

peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> Exec=LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

Exec=sh -c "LD_PRELOAD... skype"

Chris