Old 03-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Camaleón

Default US tax forms with acroread from debian-multimedia

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 09:31:48 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Last year I was able to fill out US taxforms with acroread 8.1.3.
>
> This year I run amd64 and installed acroread (version 9.4.2) from
> debian-multimedia but I cannot edit a single form although the document
> properties say "fillable".
>
> Has anyone filled out US taxforms with a pdf viewer?

Do you have any URI that we can test?

Acrobat Reader 9.4.2 is the latest version available (still no Acrobat X
for linux), but filling forms should not be a problem for Acrobat's app
unless the PDF form has any "specific" requirement on the client side.

If you have Okular or Evince also installed, it is worth a try to test
with these.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Camaleón wrote:

Last year I was able to fill out US taxforms with acroread 8.1.3.

This year I run amd64 and installed acroread (version 9.4.2) from
debian-multimedia but I cannot edit a single form although the document
properties say "fillable".

Has anyone filled out US taxforms with a pdf viewer?

Do you have any URI that we can test?

Yes, get form 1040 from here: http://www.irs.gov/
It's the first PDF on the top lefthand side. On my system clicking that
downloads the form and opens acroread with it. You're supposed to be
able to fill in any of the formfields.

Archive: il88qj$aqi$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/il88qj$aqi$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 03-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 10:10:55 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>>> Has anyone filled out US taxforms with a pdf viewer?
>>
>> Do you have any URI that we can test?
>>

> Yes, get form 1040 from here: http://www.irs.gov/ It's the first PDF on
> the top lefthand side. On my system clicking that downloads the form and
> opens acroread with it. You're supposed to be able to fill in any of the
> formfields.

Form 1040 can be filled fine with Evince (from lenny) but as I never do
online taxes tasks, I'm not sure if it's okay with just filling the data
and then print it or sending the file via e-mail or by direct upload.

What error are you getting? You can't write in the fields at all?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Eric Morey

On Wed, 2011-03-09 at 09:31 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Last year I was able to fill out US taxforms with acroread 8.1.3.
>
> This year I run amd64 and installed acroread (version 9.4.2) from
> debian-multimedia but I cannot edit a single form although the document
> properties say "fillable".
>
> Has anyone filled out US taxforms with a pdf viewer?

I'm able to fill form fields and save values with v 9.4.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Eric Morey

On Wed, 2011-03-09 at 16:34 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> Form 1040 can be filled fine with Evince (from lenny)

I was not able to save values in the form fields with evince. Only with
acroread v 9.4.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:43 PM
John Jason Jordan

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 10:10:55 -0600
Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> dijo:

>>> Has anyone filled out US taxforms with a pdf viewer?

>> Do you have any URI that we can test?

>Yes, get form 1040 from here: http://www.irs.gov/

I had no trouble using Adobe Reader 9.4.2 on 64-bit Linux. I didn't try
Okular, Evince, or any of my other installed PDF viewers. I also have
no idea what might be wrong, but at least you know it works for others
with 9.4.2.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 11:41:23 -0500, Eric Morey wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-03-09 at 16:34 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Form 1040 can be filled fine with Evince (from lenny)
>
> I was not able to save values in the form fields with evince. Only with
> acroread v 9.4.

No? Weird, I can :-? (evince 2.22.2 and 2.30.3)

P.S. I've also checked with acrobat reader and fields can be also filled.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-09-2011, 04:39 PM
"John A. Sullivan III"

On Wed, 2011-03-09 at 10:10 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Camaleón wrote:
> > On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 09:31:48 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> >
> >> Last year I was able to fill out US taxforms with acroread 8.1.3.
> >>
> >> This year I run amd64 and installed acroread (version 9.4.2) from
> >> debian-multimedia but I cannot edit a single form although the document
> >> properties say "fillable".
> >>
> >> Has anyone filled out US taxforms with a pdf viewer?
> >
> > Do you have any URI that we can test?
> >

> Yes, get form 1040 from here: http://www.irs.gov/
> It's the first PDF on the top lefthand side. On my system clicking that
> downloads the form and opens acroread with it. You're supposed to be
> able to fill in any of the formfields.
>
> > Acrobat Reader 9.4.2 is the latest version available (still no Acrobat X
> > for linux), but filling forms should not be a problem for Acrobat's app
> > unless the PDF form has any "specific" requirement on the client side.
> >
> > If you have Okular or Evince also installed, it is worth a try to test
> > with these.
> >
> > Greetings,

If I recall correctly, the ability to fill in forms in not part of the
acroread .deb file but rather included in the plugins. Have you
installed acroread-plugins? Good luck - John

Old 03-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Camaleón wrote:

Has anyone filled out US taxforms with a pdf viewer?

Do you have any URI that we can test?

Yes, get form 1040 from here: http://www.irs.gov/ It's the first PDF on
the top lefthand side. On my system clicking that downloads the form and
opens acroread with it. You're supposed to be able to fill in any of the
formfields.

Form 1040 can be filled fine with Evince (from lenny) but as I never do
online taxes tasks, I'm not sure if it's okay with just filling the data
and then print it or sending the file via e-mail or by direct upload.

What error are you getting? You can't write in the fields at all?

No errors, just no ability to write into the form fields.

Evince does not handle the small fields well.

Okular does ok, it's not as "nice" as acroread, but one is able to fill
in the small checkboxes and save the form as a pdf.

[OT] I don't send PDF's. I print the PDF's and mail them, but I keep the
PDF's as a record, much safer than keeping pieces of paper that I lose.

Good suggestion Camaleón, thanks.

Hugo

Archive: il8etv$h9j$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/il8etv$h9j$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 03-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Greg Madden

On Wednesday 09 March 2011 06:31:48 am Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Last year I was able to fill out US taxforms with acroread 8.1.3.
>
> This year I run amd64 and installed acroread (version 9.4.2) from
> debian-multimedia but I cannot edit a single form although the document
> properties say "fillable".
>
> Has anyone filled out US taxforms with a pdf viewer?
>
> Hugo

It works with Okular 0.11.1 from KDE 4.5.3, from:
deb http://qt-kde.debian.net/debian experimental-snapshots main

When I open a fillable form in Okular, It show the forms with a message area on
top letting me know that it is a fillable form and I have to select/change views
to be able to enter and save data.

This is the only KDE4 app i have installed so I don't know if the Squeeze version
of Okular is the same.

Does not work with Evince in Squeeze.
--
Peace,