Old 03-08-2011, 04:08 AM
S D

Default Application shortcuts don't work in KDE4?

Hi,

Can't get application shortcuts to work in KDE 4.

I defined Ctrl+Alt+F to launch Iceweasel as follows: Right-mouse-button click on the "Kickoff Application Launcher", select menu editor, select an application, goto Advanced panel and change the "Current shortcut key".

However, pressing Ctrl+Alt+F does not launch Iceweasel later. Similarly defined shortcuts for other apps also don't appear to work.

Any ideas? Thanks

# uname -a
Linux testbox 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Jan 12 03:40:32 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Old 03-08-2011, 05:59 AM
godo

Can't get application shortcuts to work in KDE 4.

I defined Ctrl+Alt+F to launch Iceweasel as follows: Right-mouse-button click on the "Kickoff Application Launcher", select menu editor, select an application, goto Advanced panel and change the "Current shortcut key".

However, pressing Ctrl+Alt+F does not launch Iceweasel later. Similarly defined shortcuts for other apps also don't appear to work.

Any ideas? Thanks

# uname -a
Linux testbox 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Jan 12 03:40:32 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Hi,
did you press Save in KDE Menu Editor after shortcuts input?
I made shortcut Ctrl+Alt+C for KWrite and it works.

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic

Archive: 4D75D3E1.3000608@dobosevic.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D75D3E1.3000608@dobosevic.com

Old 03-08-2011, 04:29 PM
S D

--- On Tue, 3/8/11, godo <goran@dobosevic.com> wrote:

> did you press Save in KDE Menu Editor after shortcuts
> input?
> I made shortcut Ctrl+Alt+C for KWrite and it works.

Yes, I've saved it and the shortcut key stays there if I close and then reopen the menu editor. But the key doesn't work. Strange.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 09/03/11 04:29, S D wrote:
> --- On Tue, 3/8/11, godo <goran@dobosevic.com> wrote:
>
>> did you press Save in KDE Menu Editor after shortcuts
>> input?
>> I made shortcut Ctrl+Alt+C for KWrite and it works.
>
> Yes, I've saved it and the shortcut key stays there if I close and then reopen the menu editor. But the key doesn't work. Strange.

Have you tried disabling the KWrite shortcut you've configured and
seeing if Ctrl+Alt+C is assigned to something else (already)?

Cheers

Old 03-08-2011, 10:42 PM
S D

--- On Tue, 3/8/11, Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you tried disabling the KWrite shortcut you've
> configured and
> seeing if Ctrl+Alt+C is assigned to something else
> (already)?

I've tried different combinations but none of them works. If a shortcut is assigned to something else then the menu editor gives a warning and asks for the confirmation to reassign an existing shortcut. So no, none of the shortcuts I've used were assigned to something else (no warning was given).

Old 03-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 09/03/11 10:42, S D wrote:

> --- On Tue, 3/8/11, Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Have you tried disabling the KWrite shortcut you've
>> configured and
>> seeing if Ctrl+Alt+C is assigned to something else
>> (already)?
>
> I've tried different combinations but none of them works. If a shortcut is assigned to something else then the menu editor gives a warning and asks for the confirmation to reassign an existing shortcut. So no, none of the shortcuts I've used were assigned to something else (no warning was given).

K. Just tried the same thing on an i386 kernel with the same result.
Also tried assigning Alt+Shift+S to the menu editor - no disernable
result....

A quick look shows no kglobalaccel running :-/

.kde/share/config/khotkeysrc exists..... and contains the hotkey
combination I created, sorry but I don't have time to fully investigate
at the moment. A quick search through my mbox for thye Debian-KDE list
shows nothing relevant.

Curiouser and curiouser - I shall have a bit of a dig this evening.

Cheers

Old 03-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 08/03/11 16:08, S D wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can't get application shortcuts to work in KDE 4.

<snipped>

Just check that the following works for you
(if it does please post as [SOLVED])

$ cp ~/.kde/share/config/khotkeysrc
~/.kde/share/config/khotkeysrc_before_I_had_a_fiddle
$ nano ~/.kde/share/config/khotkeysrc

change line 7 from:-
Enabled=false

to:-
Enabled=true

Save, and test (I found earlier hotkey combinations I'd added had
disappeared)

I tested by creating a menu entry for Kmenueditor under the System
Settings section ('cause it's not in the *(^#@! menu...) and assigned it
a hotkey combination "Meta+Alt+K"
Also created a hotkey combination for Dolphin "Meta+E"

Both now work on my system.

Note: I have done no other testing, and - beware, it's a hack.

Cheers

Old 03-09-2011, 04:13 PM
S D

--- On Wed, 3/9/11, Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just check that the following works for you
> (if it does please post as [SOLVED])
>

> $ cp ~/.kde/share/config/khotkeysrc
> ~/.kde/share/config/khotkeysrc_before_I_had_a_fiddle
> $ nano ~/.kde/share/config/khotkeysrc
>
> change line 7 from:-
> Enabled=false
>
> to:-
> Enabled=true
>
> Save, and test (I found earlier hotkey combinations I'd
> added had
> disappeared)

Yes, it works for me as well. All shortcuts I've defined now work.

Thanks a lot for your help.