-   -   kppp not working after upgrade (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/498524-kppp-not-working-after-upgrade.html)

Mark Grieveson 03-08-2011 12:59 AM

kppp not working after upgrade

I recently upgraded to Debian Squeeze. kppp was working in Lenny, but
does not work now. It connects to the modem, and dials, but it then
gives an error 1 (pppd error that apparently means "An immediately
fatal error of some kind occurred, such as an essential system call
failing, or running out of virtual memory.") Sometimes when I try to
run it, the program freezes, and I have to use xkill to get rid of it. I
can connect to the internet using pon/poff (via a setup with pppconfig),
but kppp does not work. I'm a member of both dialout and dip groups. The
file /etc/ppp/peers/kppp-options is set to noauth (it's uncommented,
and thus working).

Any suggestions on how I can fix kppp?

Mark

Camaleón 03-08-2011 11:12 AM

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 20:59:50 -0500, Mark Grieveson wrote:

> I recently upgraded to Debian Squeeze. kppp was working in Lenny, but
> does not work now. It connects to the modem, and dials, but it then
> gives an error 1 (pppd error that apparently means "An immediately fatal
> error of some kind occurred, such as an essential system call failing,
> or running out of virtual memory.") Sometimes when I try to run it, the
> program freezes, and I have to use xkill to get rid of it. I can connect
> to the internet using pon/poff (via a setup with pppconfig), but kppp
> does not work. I'm a member of both dialout and dip groups. The file
> /etc/ppp/peers/kppp-options is set to noauth (it's uncommented, and thus
> working).
>
> Any suggestions on how I can fix kppp?

I would try to run it from konsole in the hope you can get further info
on the failure. Is there anything else (besides that succint "error 1")
in the kppp log? :-?

Another thing you could try is to create a new dial-out profile to avoid
any incompatibility with the older configuration.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Mark Grieveson 03-10-2011 03:36 AM

kppp not working after upgrade

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 15:34:43 +0000 (UTC)

> > I recently upgraded to Debian Squeeze. kppp was working in Lenny,
> > but does not work now. It connects to the modem, and dials, but it
> > then gives an error 1 (pppd error that apparently means "An
> > immediately fatal error of some kind occurred, such as an essential
> > system call failing, or running out of virtual memory.") Sometimes
> > when I try to run it, the program freezes, and I have to use xkill
> > to get rid of it. I can connect to the internet using pon/poff (via
> > a setup with pppconfig), but kppp does not work. I'm a member of
> > both dialout and dip groups. The file /etc/ppp/peers/kppp-options
> > is set to noauth (it's uncommented, and thus working).
> >
> > Any suggestions on how I can fix kppp?
>
> I would try to run it from konsole in the hope you can get further
> info on the failure. Is there anything else (besides that succint
> "error 1") in the kppp log? :-?
>
> Another thing you could try is to create a new dial-out profile to
> avoid any incompatibility with the older configuration.

Thanks for the response. I created a new dial-out profile, but it
still did not work. Here is the kppp log:

Mar 9 23:29:05 debian pppd[5454]: The remote system is required to
authenticate itself
Mar 9 23:29:05 debian pppd[5454]: but I couldn't find any suitable
secret (password) for it to use to do so.
Mar 9 23:29:05 debian pppd[5454]: (None of the available passwords
would let it use an IP address.)

Here is what happens when I run it from the terminal:

mark@debian:~$ kppp
Opener: received SetSecret
Opener: received SetSecret
Opener: received OpenLock

Opener: received OpenDevice
Opener: received ExecPPPDaemon
In parent: pppd pid 5427
Opener: received OpenResolv
Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
Kernel supports ppp alright.
pppd: The remote system is required to authenticate itself
pppd: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use
to do so. pppd: (None of the available passwords would let it use an IP
address.) It was pppd that died
pppd exited with return value 1
Sending 5422 a SIGUSR1
Opener: received RemoveSecret
Opener: received RemoveSecret
Opener: received OpenResolv
Opener: received OpenResolv
Opener: received RemoveLock
Opener: received PPPDExitStatus
Opener: received PPPDExitStatus
kdeinit4: Shutting down running client.
kdeinit4: preparing to
launch /usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_klauncher.so Connecting to
deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
kdeinit4: preparing to
launch /usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_kded4.so kdeinit4:
preparing to launch /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4 kbuildsycoca4 running...
kdeinit4: preparing to
launch /usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_kconf_update.so Connecting

Camaleón 03-10-2011 02:32 PM

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 23:36:28 -0500, Mark Grieveson wrote:

>> > Any suggestions on how I can fix kppp?
>>
>> I would try to run it from konsole in the hope you can get further info
>> on the failure. Is there anything else (besides that succint "error 1")
>> in the kppp log? :-?
>>
>> Another thing you could try is to create a new dial-out profile to
>> avoid any incompatibility with the older configuration.
>
> Thanks for the response. I created a new dial-out profile, but it still
> did not work. Here is the kppp log:
>
> Mar 9 23:29:05 debian pppd[5454]: The remote system is required to
> authenticate itself
> Mar 9 23:29:05 debian pppd[5454]: but I couldn't find any suitable
> secret (password) for it to use to do so. Mar 9 23:29:05 debian
> pppd[5454]: (None of the available passwords would let it use an IP
> address.)

(...)

Hum! Look at this doc, you can try the provided hint:

http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-diagnosis.phtml#required_to_auth_ip

Greetings,

--
Camaleón