-   -   unable to install nfs-kernel-server (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/498507-unable-install-nfs-kernel-server.html)

Liam Cassidey 03-07-2011 11:52 PM

unable to install nfs-kernel-server

I'm running Debian unstable, and I'm interested in simply setting up an nfs export from the box. However, I'm unable to install nfs. The following happens when I attempt to install nfs-kernel-server.

server:~# apt-get install nfs-kernel-server
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree � � ��
Reading state information... Done
��nfs-kernel-server
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/159 kB of archives.
After this operation, 389 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously deselected package nfs-kernel-server.
(Reading database ... 196686 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking nfs-kernel-server (from .../nfs-kernel-server_1%3a1.2.2-4_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up nfs-kernel-server (1:1.2.2-4) ...

Creating config file /etc/exports with new version

Creating config file /etc/default/nfs-kernel-server with new version
Starting NFS common utilities: statd.
Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon....
Starting NFS kernel daemon: nfsdrpc.nfsd: Setting version failed: errno 16 (Device or resource busy)
rpc.nfsd: writing fd to kernel failed: errno 13 (Permission denied)
rpc.nfsd: unable to set any sockets for nfsd
�failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript nfs-kernel-server, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing nfs-kernel-server (--configure):
�subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
configured to not write apport reports
�� � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �Errors were encountered while processing:
�nfs-kernel-server
server:~#

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot or fix this? Has anyone else run in to this problem?

Thank you,
Liam

Ron Johnson 03-08-2011 02:24 AM

[...]

[snip]

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot or fix this? Has anyone else run
in to this problem?

Yes. Google is your friend.

This ("rpc.nfsd: writing fd to kernel failed: errno 13") search
string produced interesting results.

I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.

Archive: 4D75A186.3030104@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D75A186.3030104@cox.net

Liam Cassidey 03-09-2011 05:45 AM

[...]

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the special version of google that Mr. Johnson does (although mine does produce interesting results, just not particularly helpful ones), however the point is taken and I'll backfill the necessary information.

I've removed all entries from /etc/exports, have portmap and nfs-common running, the firewall down, have an empty /etc/hosts.deny and a single entry in hosts.allow (taken from the portmap man page):

portmap 192.168.
I've tried various incarnations of mountd: ALL, nfsd: ALL, etc, with no positive results. When I attempt to start nfs-kernel-server, I get the following output to stdout:

server:~# service nfs-kernel-server startExporting directories for NFS kernel daemon....Starting NFS kernel daemon: nfsdrpc.nfsd: Setting version failed: errno 16 (Device or resource busy)
rpc.nfsd: writing fd to kernel failed: errno 13 (Permission denied)rpc.nfsd: unable to set any sockets for nfsd*failed!server:~#
This also writes the following line to /var/log/messages:

Mar *9 01:22:26 server kernel: [220123.669684] svc: failed to register lockdv1 RPC service (errno 13).
And the following is the output from rpcinfo:
server:~# rpcinfo -p
** program vers proto * port** *100000 * *2 * tcp * *111 *portmapper** *100000 * *2 * udp * *111 *portmapper** *100024 * *1 * udp *51547 *status** *100024 * *1 * tcp *54119 *status

I'm a bit at a loss here as I've never run into any problems setting up nfs mounts on other Unices or Linux distros. There is most likely something fundamental I'm missing, but I just can't put my finger on it. Any help would be appreciated. I don't usually post to mailing lists and am quite new to Debian as a distribution, so please forgive any*naivet on my part.

Thanks,LC

Scott Ferguson 03-09-2011 06:03 AM

unable to install nfs-kernel-server

On 09/03/11 17:45, Liam Cassidey wrote:

<snipped>

> I'm a bit at a loss here as I've never run into any problems setting up
> nfs mounts on other Unices or Linux distros. There is most likely
> something fundamental I'm missing, but I just can't put my finger on it.
> Any help would be appreciated. I don't usually post to mailing lists and
> am quite new to Debian as a distribution, so please forgive any�naivet�
> on my part.
>

> Thanks,
> LC

anything in var/logs? (like RPC messages)

hosts.allow?

Cheers

Ron Johnson 03-09-2011 06:16 AM

[...]

These two links mention issues with nfs-utils-1.2.2, which seems to
be "their" name for "our" nfs-common.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-825111-start-0.html

By perusing the bug reports maybe you can find something:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=nfs-common

--
I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.

Archive: 4D772935.1050604@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D772935.1050604@cox.net

Scott Ferguson 03-09-2011 06:28 AM

unable to install nfs-kernel-server

On 09/03/11 17:45, Liam Cassidey wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net
> <mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net>> wrote:
>
> On 03/07/2011 06:52 PM, Liam Cassidey wrote:
>
> I'm running Debian unstable, and I'm interested in simply setting up
> an nfs export from the box. However, I'm unable to install nfs. The
> following happens when I attempt to install nfs-kernel-server.

<snipped>

> I've removed all entries from /etc/exports, have portmap and nfs-common
> running, the firewall down, have an empty /etc/hosts.deny and a single
> entry in hosts.allow (taken from the portmap man page):

hosts.allow has it's own man page

perhaps you could try something like this for hosts.allow

nfsd: 192.168.x.y/255.255.255.255
rpcbind: 192.168.x.y/255.255.255.255
mountd: 192.168.x.y/255.255.255.255

<snipped>

you might also want to check your iptables
(please excuse the brevity of my response, multi-tasking)

Cheers

Tom H 03-09-2011 12:19 PM

unable to install nfs-kernel-server

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 2:28 AM, Scott Ferguson
<prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/03/11 17:45, Liam Cassidey wrote:
>>
>> I've removed all entries from /etc/exports, have portmap and nfs-common
>> running, the firewall down, have an empty /etc/hosts.deny and a single
>> entry in hosts.allow (taken from the portmap man page):
>
> perhaps you could try something like this for hosts.allow
>
> nfsd: 192.168.x.y/255.255.255.255
> rpcbind: 192.168.x.y/255.255.255.255
> mountd: 192.168.x.y/255.255.255.255

Or test first with an empty "/etc/hosts.allow".

Brian 03-10-2011 01:43 AM

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 2:28 AM, Scott Ferguson

<prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/03/11 17:45, Liam Cassidey wrote:

>> I've removed all entries from /etc/exports, have portmap and nfs-common

>> running, the firewall down, have an empty /etc/hosts.deny and a single

>> entry in hosts.allow (taken from the portmap man page):

> perhaps you could try something like this for hosts.allow

> nfsd: 192.168.x.y/255.255.255.255

> rpcbind: 192.168.x.y/255.255.255.255

> mountd: 192.168.x.y/255.255.255.255

Or test first with an empty "/etc/hosts.allow".

So I've tested it with an empty /etc/hosts.allow, one with ALL: ALL and I feel like every incarnation involving nfsd, rpcbind, mountd, portmap and various ip's and masks. None seem to make any difference to the results I'm seeing so far -- still the same old "svc: failed to register lockdv1 RPC service (errno 13)." error.

Also, iptables has been completely disabled so there shouldn't be anything at the network layer blocking it.

It's been suggested that their may be a bug in the version of nfs-common I'm using. I have version�1:1.2.2-4 installed and it appears, at least according to�http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=nfs-common, that this same version is also in stable. So I guess my next question is: has anyone had luck running an nfs server on any system since lenny? If so, what versions of the 3 (portmap, nfs-common, and nfs-kernel-server) are you running and with what kind of configuration?

Thanks for all the support so far.

Ron Johnson 03-10-2011 02:13 AM

<mailto:prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>> wrote:
> On 09/03/11 17:45, Liam Cassidey wrote:
>>
>> I've removed all entries from /etc/exports, have portmap and
nfs-common
>> running, the firewall down, have an empty /etc/hosts.deny
and a single
>> entry in hosts.allow (taken from the portmap man page):
>
> perhaps you could try something like this for hosts.allow
>
> nfsd: 192.168.x.y/255.255.255.255 <http://255.255.255.255>
> rpcbind: 192.168.x.y/255.255.255.255 <http://255.255.255.255>
> mountd: 192.168.x.y/255.255.255.255 <http://255.255.255.255>

Or test first with an empty "/etc/hosts.allow".

So I've tested it with an empty /etc/hosts.allow, one with ALL: ALL
and I feel like every incarnation involving nfsd, rpcbind, mountd,
portmap and various ip's and masks. None seem to make any difference
to the results I'm seeing so far -- still the same old "svc: failed
to register lockdv1 RPC service (errno 13)." error.

Also, iptables has been completely disabled so there shouldn't be
anything at the network layer blocking it.

It's been suggested that their may be a bug in the version of
nfs-common I'm using. I have version 1:1.2.2-4 installed and it
appears, at least according to
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=nfs-common, that this
same version is also in stable. So I guess my next question is: has
anyone had luck running an nfs server on any system since lenny? If
so, what versions of the 3 (portmap, nfs-common, and
nfs-kernel-server) are you running and with what kind of configuration?

Thanks for all the support so far.

Sure. I'm running it with Sid. Been running it for years.

There might be something else that you're running which holds the
resources. If we haven't already asked, what's in syslog and dmesg?

--
I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.

Archive: 4D7841E6.3060708@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D7841E6.3060708@cox.net

Tom H 03-10-2011 07:27 AM

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Brian <btmick@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 2:28 AM, Scott Ferguson
>> <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> perhaps you could try something like this for hosts.allow
>>> nfsd: 192.168.x.y/255.255.255.255
>>> rpcbind: 192.168.x.y/255.255.255.255
>>> mountd: 192.168.x.y/255.255.255.255
>>
>> Or test first with an empty "/etc/hosts.allow".
>
> So I've tested it with an empty /etc/hosts.allow, one with ALL: ALL and I
> feel like every incarnation involving nfsd, rpcbind, mountd, portmap and
> various ip's and masks. None seem to make any difference to the results I'm
> seeing so far -- still the same old "svc: failed to register lockdv1 RPC
> service (errno 13)." error.
>
> Also, iptables has been completely disabled so there shouldn't be anything
> at the network layer blocking it.
>
> It's been suggested that their may be a bug in the version of nfs-common I'm
> using. I have version 1:1.2.2-4 installed and it appears, at least according
> to http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=nfs-common, that this same
> version is also in stable. So I guess my next question is: has anyone had
> luck running an nfs server on any system since lenny? If so, what versions
> of the 3 (portmap, nfs-common, and nfs-kernel-server) are you running and
> with what kind of configuration?

I have that version running in production on stable. I've also just
duped and upgraded a VM to unstable and it's also running fine.

nfs-kernel-server and nfs-common are 1:1.2.2-4. portmap is 6.0.0-2.

Do you compile your own kernels?