Old 03-07-2011, 03:53 PM

Default A dpkg puzzle on debian testing.

I'm running a debian testing system updated weekly. In the last update I
noticed samba packages being updated. Because I have no need of samba, I
wanted to get rid of them:

$ sudo dpkg --purge samba-common samba-common-bin
dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of samba-common:
smbclient depends on samba-common (= 2:3.5.6~dfsg-5).
dpkg: error processing samba-common (--purge):
dependency problems - not removing
(Reading database ... 148254 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing samba-common-bin ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
samba-common

$

Ok, fine; get rid of sambaclient too:

$ sudo dpkg --purge sambaclient
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove sambaclient which isn't installed.

$

Thus the puzzle: how is it that a package that's not installed prevents an
installed package from being purged?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Steve Kemp

On Mon Mar 07, 2011 at 11:53:00 -0500, R. Clayton wrote:

> I'm running a debian testing system updated weekly. In the last update I
> noticed samba packages being updated. Because I have no need of samba, I
> wanted to get rid of them:
>
> $ sudo dpkg --purge samba-common samba-common-bin
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of samba-common:
> smbclient depends on samba-common (= 2:3.5.6~dfsg-5).

"smbclient".

> Ok, fine; get rid of sambaclient too:
>
> $ sudo dpkg --purge sambaclient
> dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove sambaclient which isn't installed.

"sambaclient".

Notice there are two different things there? smb != samba.

Steve
--
Let me steal your soul?
http://stolen-souls.com

Old 03-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Peter Wiersig

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 11:53:00 -0500, rvclayton@verizon.net (R. Clayton) wrote:

> Thus the puzzle: how is it that a package that's not installed prevents an
> installed package from being purged?

smbclient != sambaclient

Peter

Old 03-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Ron Johnson

I'm running a debian testing system updated weekly. In the last update I
noticed samba packages being updated. Because I have no need of samba, I
wanted to get rid of them:

$ sudo dpkg --purge samba-common samba-common-bin
dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of samba-common:

Why dpkg instead of apt-get?

--
I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.

Archive: 4D7576E7.5010308@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D7576E7.5010308@cox.net

Old 03-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 08/03/11 03:53, R. Clayton wrote:
> I'm running a debian testing system updated weekly. In the last update I
> noticed samba packages being updated. Because I have no need of samba, I
> wanted to get rid of them:
>
> $ sudo dpkg --purge samba-common samba-common-bin
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of samba-common:
> smbclient depends on samba-common (= 2:3.5.6~dfsg-5).
> dpkg: error processing samba-common (--purge):
> dependency problems - not removing
> (Reading database ... 148254 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing samba-common-bin ...
> Processing triggers for man-db ...
> samba-common
>
> $
>
> Ok, fine; get rid of sambaclient too:
>
> $ sudo dpkg --purge sambaclient
> dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove sambaclient which isn't installed.
>
> $
>
> Thus the puzzle: how is it that a package that's not installed prevents an
> installed package from being purged?

Suggestion....
sudo apt-get -s remove samba* | more

*if* everything looks sensible *then*

sudo apt-get --purge remove samba*

Cheers

Old 03-08-2011, 03:40 AM

smbclient != sambaclient

Oh, I am an idiot. Thanks for the replies.