Old 03-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Sthu Deus

Default iso to hdd booting.

Good time of the day.

I'm trying to transfer a bootable image to a HDD - to boot from it as
if from the image, this way:

cat ./boot.iso > /dev/sdb
sync

Then I try to boot from it in KVM having specified at command line:
-hda /dev/sdb -boot c

but it does not boot.

Using fdisk shows me partitioning at all - that i suppose should not to
be.

Is it workable way i have undertaken? Or I can achieve it only
installing a linux on HDD and then make it loading from its boot loader
having transferred the image to a partition (cat ./boot.iso
> /dev/sdb1)?

Thanks for Your time.

PS Please, reply to the list.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 20:08:00 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> I'm trying to transfer a bootable image to a HDD - to boot from it as if
> from the image, this way:
>
> cat ./boot.iso > /dev/sdb
> sync
>
> Then I try to boot from it in KVM having specified at command line: -hda
> /dev/sdb -boot c
>
> but it does not boot.

(...)

Hum... a silly question: can't you just boot the ISO image directly from
KVM? Or put in other words, what's the point for booting from a device
withing a VM? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Jeffrin Jose

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 08:08:00PM +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Good time of the day.
thanks

> I'm trying to transfer a bootable image to a HDD - to boot from it as
> if from the image, this way:
>
> cat ./boot.iso > /dev/sdb
> sync

It may create a hidden partition , if iam correct.
I mean HIDDEN NTFS like that ... cfdisk may show it as sdb1.

> Then I try to boot from it in KVM having specified at command line:
> -hda /dev/sdb -boot c
>
> but it does not boot.
may be since the /dev/sdb1 is the one which contains files.
by the way.. any errors..

> Using fdisk shows me partitioning at all - that i suppose should not to
> be.
>
> Is it workable way i have undertaken? Or I can achieve it only
> installing a linux on HDD and then make it loading from its boot loader
> having transferred the image to a partition (cat ./boot.iso
> > /dev/sdb1)?
About KVM I do not know. But the other part may work.

/Jeffrin.

--
software engineer.
department of computer science