Old 03-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Andrew McGlashan

Default Xen questions

Hi,

I'm on a crash course with Xen .... got some quick questions.

Hardware is Dual 3GHz EM64T CPUs on an IBM x346 machine.

Using Squeeze amd64 installation with lvm2, all good so far. Using 6
disks with the ServeRAID-7k presenting 6 logical -- I've RAID6-ed 3
partitions, the first for /boot, the second for swap and the third for lvm2.

Don't have HVM, so using para-virtualization.

I found that I couldn't start the Dom0 machine too quickly, so I changed
the grub timeout from 5 seconds to 10 seconds -- if I start it too
quickly, then it bombs out [panic] and does a reboot. After waiting the
full 10 seconds, all is fine. Is there a setting that would help with
this so that the Dom0 can be started immediately?

Other grub adjustments were made, Xen kernel first and no OS probing.

Using xen-tools to create DomU machines (one squeeze using debbootstrap
only so far).

Adjusted these two entries in /etc/default/xendomains

# By default, when Xen dom0 shuts down or reboots, it tries to save the
# state of the domUs. Sometimes there are problems with that and
# because it is also clean to just have the VMs shutdown upon host
# shutdown

XENDOMAINS_RESTORE=false
XENDOMAINS_SAVE=""

When you reboot the Dom0 machine without first shutting down the DomUs,
does it do a normal shutdown of each DomU cleanly? It looks like it
does a very fast halt, so I'm not sure the shutdown would be as clean as
I would like.

My first DomU machine is 1 hour slower than my Dom0 machine, how should
I properly synchronize the times?

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP

Archive: 4D73A61F.305@affinityvision.com.au">http://lists.debian.org/4D73A61F.305@affinityvision.com.au

Old 03-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Abhishek Dixit

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Andrew McGlashan
<andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm on a crash course with Xen .... got some quick questions.
Which course
> Hardware is Dual 3GHz EM64T CPUs on an IBM x346 machine.
>
> Using Squeeze amd64 installation with lvm2, all good so far. *Using 6 disks
> with the ServeRAID-7k presenting 6 logical -- I've RAID6-ed 3 partitions,
> the first for /boot, the second for swap and the third for lvm2.
I have seen in sid binary which can be installed via apt-get
http://packages.debian.org/sid/xen-hypervisor-4.0-amd64
if you have time upgrade and use this I pointed.

> Don't have HVM, so using para-virtualization.
>

> I found that I couldn't start the Dom0 machine too quickly, so I changed the
> grub timeout from 5 seconds to 10 seconds -- if I start it too quickly, then
> it bombs out [panic] and does a reboot. *After waiting the full 10 seconds,
> all is fine. *Is there a setting that would help with this so that the Dom0
> can be started immediately?
This question would be handled better at Xen mailing list.

> Other grub adjustments were made, Xen kernel first and no OS probing.
>

> Using xen-tools to create DomU machines (one squeeze using debbootstrap only
> so far).
>

> Adjusted these two entries in /etc/default/xendomains
>
> # By default, when Xen dom0 shuts down or reboots, it tries to save the
> # state of the domUs. *Sometimes there are problems with that and
> # because it is also clean to just have the VMs shutdown upon host
> # shutdown
>
> XENDOMAINS_RESTORE=false
> XENDOMAINS_SAVE=""
>

> When you reboot the Dom0 machine without first shutting down the DomUs, does
> it do a normal shutdown of each DomU cleanly? *It looks like it does a very
> fast halt, so I'm not sure the shutdown would be as clean as I would like.
You are right I feel (I might be wrong)

> My first DomU machine is 1 hour slower than my Dom0 machine, how should I
> properly synchronize the times?

Some one should help here.
--
Regards
Abhi

Old 03-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Andrew McGlashan

Hi,

Abhishek Dixit wrote:

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Andrew McGlashan
<andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:

Hi,

I'm on a crash course with Xen .... got some quick questions.

Which course

Well, my own, self-learning..... ;-)

Hardware is Dual 3GHz EM64T CPUs on an IBM x346 machine.

Using Squeeze amd64 installation with lvm2, all good so far. Using 6 disks
with the ServeRAID-7k presenting 6 logical -- I've RAID6-ed 3 partitions,
the first for /boot, the second for swap and the third for lvm2.

I have seen in sid binary which can be installed via apt-get
http://packages.debian.org/sid/xen-hypervisor-4.0-amd64

The version is the same for squeeze, wheezy & sid .... at least now.

# grep xen dpkg-query-l-20110307-04.00.53 [edited]
ii libxenstore3.0 4.0.1-2
ii linux-image-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 2.6.32-30
ii xen-hypervisor-4.0-amd64 4.0.1-2
ii xen-tools 4.2-1
ii xen-utils-4.0 4.0.1-2
ii xen-utils-common 4.0.0-1
ii xenstore-utils 4.0.1-2

if you have time upgrade and use this I pointed.

Don't have HVM, so using para-virtualization.

I found that I couldn't start the Dom0 machine too quickly, so I changed the
grub timeout from 5 seconds to 10 seconds -- if I start it too quickly, then
it bombs out [panic] and does a reboot. After waiting the full 10 seconds,
all is fine. Is there a setting that would help with this so that the Dom0
can be started immediately?

This question would be handled better at Xen mailing list.

Okay.

When you reboot the Dom0 machine without first shutting down the DomUs, does
it do a normal shutdown of each DomU cleanly? It looks like it does a very
fast halt, so I'm not sure the shutdown would be as clean as I would like.

You are right I feel (I might be wrong)

;-)

My first DomU machine is 1 hour slower than my Dom0 machine, how should I
properly synchronize the times?

Some one should help here.

Okay.

Thanks, let's hope there are more responses.

--

Archive: 4D73DB81.8040902@affinityvision.com.au">http://lists.debian.org/4D73DB81.8040902@affinityvision.com.au

Old 03-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Miles Fidelman

Andrew McGlashan wrote:
My first DomU machine is 1 hour slower than my Dom0 machine, how
should I properly synchronize the times?

There's a good discussion of clock synchronization on the debian wiki, at:
http://wiki.debian.org/Xen#A.27clocksource.2BAC8-0.3ATimewentbackwards.27

FYI: I set up an independent NTP client in each DomU.

In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra