-   -   Problem with Squeeze upgrade (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/497849-problem-squeeze-upgrade.html)

Mark Grieveson 03-06-2011 12:33 PM

Problem with Squeeze upgrade

Hello. I have dial-up. So, I ordered Squeeze DVDs, which arrived on
Friday. I added these to my sources.list (apt-cdrom add), and I
commented out every other source. I got rid of my preferences files. I
first did the minimal system upgrade (apt-get upgrade), followed by the
upgrade to the kernel (apt-get install linux-image-2.6-686) followed by
the upgrade to udev (apt-get install udev). This went smoothly. Then
I rebooted, and proceeded to to "apt-get dist-upgrade". Here began the
problems.

debian:/home/mark# apt-get dist-upgrade [..]
377 upgraded, 327 newly installed, 62 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/907MB of archives.
After this operation, 643MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Media Change: Please insert the disc labelled
'Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-1
20110205-17:27' in the drive ‘/cdrom/’ and press enter

Media Change: Please insert the disc labelled
'Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-1
20110205-17:27' in the drive ‘/cdrom/’ and press enter

Media Change: Please insert the disc labelled
'Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-1
20110205-17:27' in the drive ‘/cdrom/’ and press enter

I entered the dvd in the drive, but it would not read it. Instead (as
shown above) it kept telling me to "press enter". So I looked
at /etc/fstab, and saw the following:

/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

I noticed from the release notes that it said to add the following line
if your cdrom drive was /dev/hdc (which it had been):

/dev/hdc /cdrom auto defaults,noauto,ro 0 0

So I added this, but it did nothing. I then investigated, and
discovered that /dev/hdc didn't exist. However, /dev/cdrom1 did exist,
and I was able to mount the cdrom (dvdrom, actually) with this. So, I
reverted back to the previous line, but changed hdc to cdrom1:

/dev/cdrom1 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

This worked for the first dvd, but in retrospect I think I made an
error here. Anyway, I ran "apt-get dist-upgrade", and it now read the
first dvd. However, when it requested me to change the dvd to another
one, the cdrom would not open -- it was locked. So, I pressed Ctrl-C
to stop the upgrade, but it was still locked. Eventually I got the dvd
out by entering "eject cdrom" in the terminal, and it came out.

So, I went back to my /etc/fstab file, and added:

/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom auto defaults,noauto,ro 0 0

I did the tests from the release notes, that being:

debian:/# mount /cdrom
debian:/# ls -alF /cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jul 23 2006 /cdrom -> media/cdrom/
debian:/# umount /cdrom

So, this seemed to work. I still had issues, though, with it locking
in the dvd in the drive, and not allowing me to change it. In fact,
I couldn't even get the dvd out of the drive due to the
changed /cdrom mount:

debian:/home/mark# eject cdrom
eject: tried to use `/media/cdrom0' as device name but it is no block
device
eject: tried to use `/media/cdrom0' as device name but it is no block
device
eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'

So I had to have both the /media/cdrom0 line, and the /cdrom line there
to be able to eject the dvds.

I proceeded to rerun "apt-cdrom add". I was able to get the first one
registered in the sources.list, but not the rest. It gave me the
readout:

debian:/# apt-cdrom add
Using CD-ROM mount point /media/apt/
Identifying.. [df536a6852f677c02419bfc6e297b484-2]
Scanning disc for index files..
Found 2 package indexes, 0 source indexes, 0 translation indexes and 0
signatures This disc is called:
'Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-1
20110205-17:27' Reading Package Indexes... Done
Writing new source list
Source list entries for this disc are:
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD
Binary-1 20110205-17:27]/ squeeze contrib main Repeat this process for
the rest of the CDs in your set. debian:/# debian:/# apt-cdrom add
Using CD-ROM mount point /media/apt/
Identifying.. [c11560740d838ce8911541aea862162c-2]
Scanning disc for index files..
Found 0 package indexes, 0 source indexes, 0 translation indexes and 0
signatures E: Unable to locate any package files, perhaps this is not a
Debian Disc or the wrong architecture? debian:/#

So, it now won't acknowledge any other disc but the first one -- note,
for the minimal system upgrade, with the wonderful Lenny, it read them
all. I did an "apt-get -f install" with disc one (or at least I think
I did it -- my brain is beginning to atrophy, I fear) and when I try it
now, it tells me to use disc 2. So, I have disc 2 in the drive, and
the drive makes sounds like it's reading the disc, but it just
doesn't. Instead, it perpetually tells me to "please insert...and
press enter":

18 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 60 not upgraded.
576 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/15.3 MB of archives.
After this operation, 10.8 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
'Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-2
20110205-17:27' in the drive '/cdrom/' and press enter

Media change: please insert the disc labeled
'Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-2
20110205-17:27' in the drive '/cdrom/' and press enter

Media change: please insert the disc labeled
'Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-2
20110205-17:27' in the drive '/cdrom/' and press enter

I've also used "/dev/sr0 /cdrom auto defaults,noauto,ro 0 0" in
the /etc/fstab, because it sort of seemed to work, but it gives me the
same result.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on how I can finish this upgrade,
then please forward them my way.

Hugo Vanwoerkom 03-06-2011 01:35 PM

Mark Grieveson wrote:

Hello. I have dial-up. So, I ordered Squeeze DVDs, which arrived on
Friday. I added these to my sources.list (apt-cdrom add), and I
commented out every other source. I got rid of my preferences files. I
first did the minimal system upgrade (apt-get upgrade), followed by the
upgrade to the kernel (apt-get install linux-image-2.6-686) followed by
the upgrade to udev (apt-get install udev). This went smoothly. Then
I rebooted, and proceeded to to "apt-get dist-upgrade". Here began the
problems.

<snip>

What does your sources.list look like?

Hugo

Archive: il063p$ht3$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/il063p$ht3$1@dough.gmane.org

Mark Grieveson 03-06-2011 03:43 PM

Problem with Squeeze upgrade

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 14:36:07 +0000 (UTC)

> Hello. I have dial-up. So, I ordered Squeeze DVDs, which arrived on
> Friday. I added these to my sources.list (apt-cdrom add), and I
> commented out every other source. I got rid of my preferences
> files. I first did the minimal system upgrade (apt-get upgrade),
> followed by the upgrade to the kernel (apt-get install
> linux-image-2.6-686) followed by the upgrade to udev (apt-get install
> udev). This went smoothly. Then I rebooted, and proceeded to to
> "apt-get dist-upgrade". Here began the problems.

<snip>

What does your sources.list look like?

Hugo
______

Hi Hugo,

When I first started the upgrade, I commented out everything, and
simply had the eight dvds in the sources.list. When I began
experiencing problems, such as the dvds being locked in the drive until
I gave the "eject cdrom" command, and various other previously
described issues, I commented out all but the first dvd. So,
currently, it looks like this:

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD
Binary-1 20110205-17:27]/ squeeze contrib main

I tried adding them a second time via "apt-cdrom add", thinking it
might make a difference to do this while in Squeeze (as opposed to
previously having done it while in Lenny), but, except for the first
one, it won't let me, giving the following errors:

debian:/home/mark# apt-cdrom add
Using CD-ROM mount point /media/apt/
Identifying.. [6ebbc4349ee9f03b1a75af22880835e2-2]
Scanning disc for index files..
Found 0 package indexes, 0 source indexes, 0 translation indexes and 0
signatures W: Failed to mount '/dev/sr0' to '/media/apt/'
E: Unable to locate any package files, perhaps this is not a Debian
Disc or the wrong architecture? debian:/home/mark#

Mark

Stephen Powell 03-06-2011 07:09 PM

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 08:33:56 -0500 (EST), Mark Grieveson wrote:
> Then I rebooted, and proceeded to to "apt-get dist-upgrade".
> Here began the problems.

Hello, Mark. I don't know if this is your problem, but it's
worth a try. I have had fits in Squeeze due to the udisks daemon.
I'll mount a CD-ROM or floppy disk, and udisks will immediately
unmount it. Or vice versa. I recommend that you shutdown and
reboot, DO NOT LOGIN TO GNOME, switch to a text console via
Ctrl+Alt+F1, login on the text console as root, and with luck,
that pesky udisks daemon will not be running. Then try your
upgrade.

Maybe that's what you did, and if so, then I'm barking up the
wrong tree. But you don't want that pesky udisks daemon
running while doing CD mounts and umounts.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Mark Grieveson 03-07-2011 04:21 AM

Problem with Squeeze upgrade

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 21:34:58 +0000 (UTC)

> unmount it. Or vice versa. I recommend that you shutdown and
> reboot, DO NOT LOGIN TO GNOME, switch to a text console via
> Ctrl+Alt+F1, login on the text console as root, and with luck,
> that pesky udisks daemon will not be running. Then try your
> upgrade.

Hi Stephen,

That would have been a good thing to try. I did manage to almost fix
everything by doing the rest of the dist-upgrade online, rather than by
the discs. So, things are working close to normal now.

One issue I still have is with updates. Given that I have dial-up, I
prefer to rely on the Debian discs rather than the online repositories;
so, my sources.list is made up of mostly the discs, with
security, nonfree and multimedia repositories. However, now whenever I
run "apt-get update", the machine demands to rescan all eight dvds:

Media change: please insert the disc
labeled 'Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.0 _Squeeze_ - Official i386 DVD Binary-8
20110205-17:27' in the drive '/cdrom/' and press enter

It never used to do this with Lenny. It's just annoying to have to
pull out all eight dvds once again each time I wish to update the
system (it's not as if the dvds will be any different at a later time,
so I'm not sure what the rationale is for the rescans).

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Andrei Popescu 03-07-2011 08:17 AM

On Lu, 07 mar 11, 00:21:46, Mark Grieveson wrote:

> It never used to do this with Lenny. It's just annoying to have to
> pull out all eight dvds once again each time I wish to update the
> system (it's not as if the dvds will be any different at a later time,
> so I'm not sure what the rationale is for the rescans).
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this?

You might want to check if there is already a bug filled about this,
otherwise file it yourself.

Regards,
Andrei

charles norwood 03-16-2011 09:43 PM

Problem with Squeeze upgrade

I'm having problems with opening the dvd after upgrading by dist-upgrade. For
example, k9copy asks for a blank disk, but the dvd door won't open. This
happens with other programs that use the dvd as well. This suggests a problem
with the interface supplied by the new distro, since nothing like this has
happened with Sarge or Lenny. Maybe you'll have to borrow someone's dsl for a
couple of hours. I hope not, but in any case good luck.