Old 03-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Sthu Deus

Default Debian-6 booting on old host.

Good time of day.

I can not boot Debian 6 on a very old machine - its screen simply
distorted - just multiple lines. - I have investigated before, here, on
the list, and it was fond at that time that the problem was in X server
settings - too high color depth by default, so that adjusting of the
appropriate parameter did help. So, I suppose that X server is used at
boot time even if rescue mode is chosen at the initial menu. - Though
i'm not sure.

Nevertheless, if You have *any ideas* that may help, please make known.

Thank You for Your time.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Du, 06 mar 11, 19:20:52, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Good time of day.
>

> I can not boot Debian 6 on a very old machine - its screen simply
> distorted - just multiple lines. - I have investigated before, here, on
> the list, and it was fond at that time that the problem was in X server
> settings - too high color depth by default, so that adjusting of the
> appropriate parameter did help. So, I suppose that X server is used at
> boot time even if rescue mode is chosen at the initial menu. - Though
> i'm not sure.
>
> Nevertheless, if You have *any ideas* that may help, please make known.

Yes, do a non-graphical install.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 03-07-2011, 10:35 AM
sthu deus

>> I can not boot Debian 6 on a very old machine - its screen simply
>> distorted - just multiple lines. - I have investigated before, here, on
>> the list, and it was fond at that time that the problem was in X server
>> settings - too high color depth by default, so that adjusting of the
>> appropriate parameter did help. So, I suppose that X server is used at
>> boot time even if rescue mode is chosen at the initial menu. - Though
>> i'm not sure.
>>
>> Nevertheless, if You have *any ideas* that may help, please make known.
>
> Yes, do a non-graphical install.

I forgot to mention - I use rescue mode.

Also, I have noticed that after choosing an item from the primary boot
menu of Debian 6, - it swithes the screen mode and since that I see
no more any changes on the screen.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 07 mar 11, 03:35:09, sthu deus wrote:

> > Yes, do a non-graphical install.
>
> I forgot to mention - I use rescue mode.

It doesn't matter, just make sure you use the text mode, not graphical
mode.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 07-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Andrei:

>It doesn't matter, just make sure you use the text mode, not graphical
>mode.

How to do that? From the menu of a DVD there is just an option - "rescue
mode" then it load in some graphical mode, though output is text only -
but that's another mode from the say, the one in which the menu is
shown.

I do continue the thread because just days ago I needed to load from
the rescue mode of DVD, to repair / FS and was not able to do anything
because of the distorted screen of the "text" mode of the screen that
the rescue option from the primary boot menu did switch to my screen.