FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Ron Johnson
 
Default What's not cross-posting... (was Adding a bootloader to a Windows partition image)

On 03/06/2011 01:38 AM, Doug wrote:
[snip]

A message I wrote in reply to a question on the Kubuntu list may be
of some help.
The message is called "Install Win98 on /dev/sda4" and does not
actually install
Windows to /dev/sda4, but to /sdb1. And it's XP, not 98. Anyway,
since it is frowned
on to cross-post, I will tell you that the message was posted
03/06/2011 at 12:28 AM,
so you can look for it there. (The earlier post was by Jerry Lapham
at 03/05/2011
at 8:14 PM. He decided to use XP, which is what I had done.)



Adding a link to the body of the email is actually considered good
practice, since Google will bump up the solution link.


--
I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4D7340AD.3060505@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D7340AD.3060505@cox.net
 
Old 03-06-2011, 07:21 AM
Doug
 
Default What's not cross-posting... (was Adding a bootloader to a Windows partition image)

On 03/06/2011 03:07 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 03/06/2011 01:38 AM, Doug wrote:
[snip]

A message I wrote in reply to a question on the Kubuntu list may be
of some help.
The message is called "Install Win98 on /dev/sda4" and does not
actually install
Windows to /dev/sda4, but to /sdb1. And it's XP, not 98. Anyway,
since it is frowned
on to cross-post, I will tell you that the message was posted
03/06/2011 at 12:28 AM,
so you can look for it there. (The earlier post was by Jerry Lapham
at 03/05/2011
at 8:14 PM. He decided to use XP, which is what I had done.)



Adding a link to the body of the email is actually considered good
practice, since Google will bump up the solution link.



That sounds like a good idea. How would I do that?
Thanx--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4D7343F8.9050406@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D7343F8.9050406@optonline.net
 
Old 03-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Ron Johnson
 
Default What's not cross-posting... (was Adding a bootloader to a Windows partition image)

On 03/06/2011 02:21 AM, Doug wrote:

On 03/06/2011 03:07 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 03/06/2011 01:38 AM, Doug wrote:
[snip]

A message I wrote in reply to a question on the Kubuntu list may be
of some help.
The message is called "Install Win98 on /dev/sda4" and does not
actually install
Windows to /dev/sda4, but to /sdb1. And it's XP, not 98. Anyway,
since it is frowned
on to cross-post, I will tell you that the message was posted
03/06/2011 at 12:28 AM,
so you can look for it there. (The earlier post was by Jerry Lapham
at 03/05/2011
at 8:14 PM. He decided to use XP, which is what I had done.)



Adding a link to the body of the email is actually considered good
practice, since Google will bump up the solution link.


That sounds like a good idea. How would I do that?


Like this:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-users/2011-March/053651.html

--
I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4D735DF9.7060409@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D735DF9.7060409@cox.net
 
Old 03-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Doug
 
Default What's not cross-posting... (was Adding a bootloader to a Windows partition image)

On 03/06/2011 05:12 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 03/06/2011 02:21 AM, Doug wrote:

/snip/

since it is frowned
on to cross-post, I will tell you that the message was posted
03/06/2011 at 12:28 AM,
so you can look for it there. (The earlier post was by Jerry Lapham
at 03/05/2011
at 8:14 PM. He decided to use XP, which is what I had done.)



Adding a link to the body of the email is actually considered good
practice, since Google will bump up the solution link.


/snip/. Anyway,
That sounds like a good idea. How would I do that?


Like this:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-users/2011-March/053651.html


You have illustrated the results of doing what you suggest, but not how
to go about doing it. I see, for instance, "ubuntu" which is not part
of the

story at all--debian and kubuntu are the lists involved. Also, the "3651"
after the basic date? Where does that come from? I'm afraid that I'm
not getting it.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4D73F457.7000605@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D73F457.7000605@optonline.net
 
Old 03-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default What's not cross-posting... (was Adding a bootloader to a Windows partition image)

On 03/06/2011 02:53 PM, Doug wrote:

On 03/06/2011 05:12 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 03/06/2011 02:21 AM, Doug wrote:

/snip/

since it is frowned
on to cross-post, I will tell you that the message was posted
03/06/2011 at 12:28 AM,
so you can look for it there. (The earlier post was by Jerry
Lapham
at 03/05/2011
at 8:14 PM. He decided to use XP, which is what I had done.)



Adding a link to the body of the email is actually considered good
practice, since Google will bump up the solution link.


/snip/. Anyway,
That sounds like a good idea. How would I do that?


Like this:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-users/2011-March/053651.html



You have illustrated the results of doing what you suggest, but not how
to go about doing it. I see, for instance, "ubuntu" which is not
part of the
story at all--debian and kubuntu are the lists involved. Also, the
"3651"
after the basic date? Where does that come from? I'm afraid that I'm
not getting it.



I googled for the quote, and pasted the link into the email.

You seem to think that this is more than just pasting text (in this
case a url) into an email window, but it's not.


--
I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4D73FCB5.4000405@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D73FCB5.4000405@cox.net
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:29 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org