-   -   How to disconnect/initialise a built in modem? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/497591-how-disconnect-initialise-built-modem.html)

"Hans-J. Ullrich" 03-05-2011 05:07 PM

How to disconnect/initialise a built in modem?

Hi Folks!
Is there a command to disconnect or reinitialise a built in modem (I mean a
modem like a gsm-modem, which is built in my EEEPC), so that I must not reboot
if it hangs?

Thanks for any help!

Best regards

Hans

Camaleón 03-05-2011 06:10 PM

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 19:07:14 +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> Is there a command to disconnect or reinitialise a built in modem (I
> mean a modem like a gsm-modem, which is built in my EEEPC), so that I
> must not reboot if it hangs?

"minicom" (a low-level program to "dialog" with your modem or whatever
device you've got plugged on the serial port) could do the trick. You can
pass the gsm modem the proper reset AT comands.

If the problem is within the serial port but the daemon handling the
connection, you can try to restart networkmanager or whatever program you
used to make the link (wvdial, kppp, pppd, etc...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Andrei Popescu 03-05-2011 10:04 PM

On Sb, 05 mar 11, 19:07:14, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Hi Folks!
> Is there a command to disconnect or reinitialise a built in modem (I mean a
> modem like a gsm-modem, which is built in my EEEPC), so that I must not reboot
> if it hangs?

The closest I know of is to reload the corresponding kernel module with
modprobe. You can find the module in the output of 'lspci -v'.

Regards,
Andrei