Old 03-05-2011, 05:04 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Default Where is the disk label stored?

Hello list,

I am searching for an entry, where a disk label is stored.

Problem: Some time ago I formatted a sd-card and labelled it with the name
"Debian Inst". In the meantime, I formatted this sd-card several times and
deleted the label. But whenever I put the card in, it is seen as "Debian Inst"
in KDE4 (I mean the hardware manager in the task bar).

I tried also mlabel to make sure, the label is no more stored on the device,
but it did not work. See:

root@protheus7:~# mlabel -s /dev/sdb1
Mtools version 4.0.12, dated November 3rd, 2009
Usage: mlabel [-vscVn] [-N serial] drive:
root@protheus7:~#

Maybe it is a bug? So I checked with gparted, and there is sure no label
existent.

I also tried the following command:

echo -n " "|dd bs=1 seek=71 count=11 of=/dev/sdb1;echo -n "$NAME"|dd
bs=1 seek=71 count=11 of=/dev/sdb1

But I got no success, too. IMO the label is stored somewhere else and maybe
bound to the hardware, i.e. the UUID or something.

I hope, someone might know more, I will be happy if so.

Best regards

Hans

Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 19:04:29 +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> I am searching for an entry, where a disk label is stored.
>
> Problem: Some time ago I formatted a sd-card and labelled it with the
> name "Debian Inst". In the meantime, I formatted this sd-card several
> times and deleted the label. But whenever I put the card in, it is seen
> as "Debian Inst" in KDE4 (I mean the hardware manager in the task bar).
>
> I tried also mlabel to make sure, the label is no more stored on the
> device, but it did not work. See:
>
> root@protheus7:~# mlabel -s /dev/sdb1
> Mtools version 4.0.12, dated
> November 3rd, 2009 Usage: mlabel [-vscVn] [-N serial] drive:
> root@protheus7:~#

Hum... Google provides some hints:

# check the current label
mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 -s ::

It seems that mlabel man page lacks for some options, like explaining "-
v" (verbose) argument and also that "-i" which seems valid but neither
present :-?

> Maybe it is a bug? So I checked with gparted, and there is sure no label
> existent.
>
> I also tried the following command:
>
> echo -n " "|dd bs=1 seek=71 count=11 of=/dev/sdb1;echo -n
> "$NAME"|dd bs=1 seek=71 count=11 of=/dev/sdb1
>
> But I got no success, too. IMO the label is stored somewhere else and
> maybe bound to the hardware, i.e. the UUID or something.
>
> I hope, someone might know more, I will be happy if so.

It's weird. Have you tried by expressly changing (not deleting nor
blanking) the label with another new one?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Jeffrin Jose

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 07:04:29PM +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> But I got no success, too. IMO the label is stored somewhere else and maybe
> bound to the hardware, i.e. the UUID or something.

i think the disk label is stored in the hardware.
"tune2fs -l /dev/your-sd-card | more " should show
the tunable parameters of which disk label may be first.

Also try to use e2label command.

"e2label device" may show you the label and
"e2label device [newlabel]" may set one for you.

/Jeffrin.

--
software engineer.
department of computer science

Old 03-05-2011, 07:48 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

> i think the disk label is stored in the hardware.
> "tune2fs -l /dev/your-sd-card | more " should show
> the tunable parameters of which disk label may be first.
>
> Also try to use e2label command.
>
> "e2label device" may show you the label and
> "e2label device [newlabel]" may set one for you.
>
> /Jeffrin.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, the filesystem is now fat32.

So those tools will not work.

Thanks anyway.

Greets

Hans

Old 03-05-2011, 07:53 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

> > root@protheus7:~# mlabel -s /dev/sdb1
> > Mtools version 4.0.12, dated
> > November 3rd, 2009 Usage: mlabel [-vscVn] [-N serial] drive:
> > root@protheus7:~#
>
> Hum... Google provides some hints:
>
> # check the current label

You pointed me correctly, I used the wrong syntax, no space after the device.
The output is telling now:

root@protheus7# mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 ::
Volume has no label
Enter the new volume label :
root@protheus7#

So it is proven, there is really no label existent.

Weired!

Hans

Old 03-05-2011, 07:53 PM

try mlabel. package as mtools

Old 03-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Steve Kemp

On Sat Mar 05, 2011 at 21:48:33 +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> Sorry, I forgot to mention, the filesystem is now fat32.
> So those tools will not work.

If you're willing to re-format you can set the label
at the time you do that:

# mkfs.vfat /dev/sdc1 -n mylabel

Otherwise checkout the tools included in the
"mtools" package. To show the current lable:

# mlabel -i /dev/sdc1 -s ::

To change it:

# mlabel -i /dev/sdc1 ::my_external

NOTE: /dev/sdc1 is chosen as an example..

Steve
--
Let me steal your soul?
http://stolen-souls.com

Old 03-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 21:53:40 +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

>> > root@protheus7:~# mlabel -s /dev/sdb1 Mtools version 4.0.12, dated
>> > November 3rd, 2009 Usage: mlabel [-vscVn] [-N serial] drive:
>> > root@protheus7:~#
>>
>> Hum... Google provides some hints:
>>
>> # check the current label
>
> You pointed me correctly, I used the wrong syntax, no space after the
> device. The output is telling now:
>
> root@protheus7# mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 ::
> Volume has no label
> Enter the new volume label :
> root@protheus7#
>
> So it is proven, there is really no label existent.
>
> Weired!

Yep :-?

What happens if you attach the USB key into another computer? It still
shows the old label ("Debian Inst")?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-06-2011, 06:48 AM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Am Samstag, 5. März 2011 schrieb Hans-J. Ullrich:
> Hello list,
>
> I am searching for an entry, where a disk label is stored.
>
> Problem: Some time ago I formatted a sd-card and labelled it with the name
> "Debian Inst". In the meantime, I formatted this sd-card several times and
> deleted the label. But whenever I put the card in, it is seen as "Debian
> Inst" in KDE4 (I mean the hardware manager in the task bar).
>
> I tried also mlabel to make sure, the label is no more stored on the
> device, but it did not work. See:
>
> root@protheus7:~# mlabel -s /dev/sdb1
> Mtools version 4.0.12, dated November 3rd, 2009
> Usage: mlabel [-vscVn] [-N serial] drive:
> root@protheus7:~#
>
> Maybe it is a bug? So I checked with gparted, and there is sure no label
> existent.
>
> I also tried the following command:
>
> echo -n " "|dd bs=1 seek=71 count=11 of=/dev/sdb1;echo -n
> "$NAME"|dd bs=1 seek=71 count=11 of=/dev/sdb1
>
> But I got no success, too. IMO the label is stored somewhere else and maybe
> bound to the hardware, i.e. the UUID or something.
>
> I hope, someone might know more, I will be happy if so.
>

> Best regards
>
> Hans

Hello folks,

I got the problem solved. For those woho are interested:

As mlabels did not really help me (because mlabels already showed, there is NO
label on the device), I put the sd-card in and search below /etc/udev and /dev
to links pointing to that name. I found some limks and directories pointing to
that label name. Deleting them and the device entries in those directories did
not help at first, but after a reboot the label was gone.

Everything is now working as wanted. Thank you very much for all the help!

Cheers!

Hans