Old 03-05-2011, 03:30 PM

Default Has anyone installed squeeze on an HP Pavillion ?

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 09:49:32 -0600
Charlie <c-blair@illinois.edu> wrote:

> My attempted installation gave me a warning about problems
> with apic, which I have not been able to fix. Has anyone else
> encountered this?

"HP Pavilion" covers a VERY wide range of eras, specs, processors,
chipsets, etc, so you might get more specific. Also, more specifics
about "gave me a warning" might help.

(At some point in the near future I'm going to attempt to clean-install
squeeze on my HP Pavilion dv2130US.)

-jeff

Old 03-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Tony van der Hoff

On 05/03/11 16:49, Charlie wrote:

My attempted installation gave me a warning about problems
with apic, which I have not been able to fix. Has anyone else
encountered this?

Not squeeze. I tried Lenny a year or so ago, on my Pavilion DV6, and
failed for reasons I can't now recall. Think it was wireless. I gave up,
and tried Ubuntu, which installed without problem. Still running Lenny
on my desktop and server, though.

--
Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Ariège, France |

Archive: 4D7270C3.3070905@vanderhoff.org">http://lists.debian.org/4D7270C3.3070905@vanderhoff.org

Old 03-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Rob Owens

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 09:49:32AM -0600, Charlie wrote:
> My attempted installation gave me a warning about problems
> with apic, which I have not been able to fix. Has anyone else
> encountered this?

My experience with two different HP dv6xxx laptops was not good. They
both "corroded" slowly as I used them. One eventually wouldn't
recognize any internal wireless card I put in it -- I ended up going
with a usb wireless device. This one has run Ubuntu 8.04 and 10.04

The other doesn't recognize the wired interface. I installed Squeeze on
it, and it worked for a while. After a couple weeks it wouldn't boot
without "noapic" and/or "nolapic" -- I can't remember which.

-Rob

Old 03-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Charlie

> "HP Pavilion" covers a VERY wide range of eras, specs, processors,
> chipsets, etc, so you might get more specific. Also, more specifics
> about "gave me a warning" might help.
>
> (At some point in the near future I'm going to attempt to clean-install
> squeeze on my HP Pavilion dv2130US.)

My machine is an HP Pavillion desktop, a1600n. A netinstall seemed to
be going smoothly until:

When I try to boot, I see briefly, before the grub menu:

8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC.

The subsequent boot attempt from grub has the monitor briefly display
a "signal out of range" and then go dark. (I've tried two different monitors)

Somebody suggested that I add the command "noapic" at the grub prompt.
Grub displays a debian kernel, 2.6.32-5-686,
which I highlight and then type "e",
which gives me a display:

> insmod part_msdos
> insmod ext2
> set root='(hd0,msdos5)'
> search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set blahblah
> echo 'Loading Linux blahblah
> linux /boot/vmlinuz-blahblah
> echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.32-5-686

I add the word
noapic

at the end of the line beginning "linux", then control-x to boot,
and get the same dark screen as before.