Old 03-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Frank McCormick

Default Turning off desktop icons

I have run into a problem in re-arranging my desktop. I'd like to
turn off Nautilus managing the desktop, and lose the icons. Problem is
I can't do it - the usual gconf-editor change
(apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop) aren't working.
Has something changed in the Nautilus setup ?

--
-- Frank --

Old 03-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Slicky Johnson

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 11:10:39 -0500
Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

> I have run into a problem in re-arranging my desktop. I'd like to
> turn off Nautilus managing the desktop, and lose the icons. Problem is
> I can't do it - the usual gconf-editor change
> (apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop) aren't working.
> Has something changed in the Nautilus setup ?

Here on Squeeze it works as expected.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19569481/Screenshot-Configuration%20Editor%20-%20desktop.png

Old 03-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 11:10:39 -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:

> I have run into a problem in re-arranging my desktop. I'd like to turn
> off Nautilus managing the desktop, and lose the icons. Problem is I
> can't do it - the usual gconf-editor change
> (apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop) aren't working. Has something
> changed in the Nautilus setup ?

It also works fine from me (using testing).

Can you try to set that value from a new user?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Frank McCormick

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 16:42:27 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 11:10:39 -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:
>
> > I have run into a problem in re-arranging my desktop. I'd like to turn
> > off Nautilus managing the desktop, and lose the icons. Problem is I
> > can't do it - the usual gconf-editor change
> > (apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop) aren't working. Has something
> > changed in the Nautilus setup ?
>
> It also works fine from me (using testing).
>
> Can you try to set that value from a new user?

Works for a new user...doesn't work for two existing users..
I just (a few days ago) had to move the .gnome2 dir out of the way
because of another minor problem. I'll try it again.

--
-- Frank --

Old 03-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Frank McCormick

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 12:03:03 -0500
Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 16:42:27 +0000 (UTC)
> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 11:10:39 -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:
> >
> > > I have run into a problem in re-arranging my desktop. I'd like to turn
> > > off Nautilus managing the desktop, and lose the icons. Problem is I
> > > can't do it - the usual gconf-editor change
> > > (apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop) aren't working. Has something
> > > changed in the Nautilus setup ?
> >
> > It also works fine from me (using testing).
> >
> > Can you try to set that value from a new user?
> >

> Works for a new user...doesn't work for two existing users..
> I just (a few days ago) had to move the .gnome2 dir out of the way
> because of another minor problem. I'll try it again.

Didn't work..so I went into the .gconf/apps/nautilus/preferences/
xml file and changed the true to false. That worked. Still dunno what
the problem stemmed from but brute force fixed it. And now, I can turn
show_desktop on and off from the gconf-editor...and it works.

--
-- Frank --