Old 03-05-2011, 01:09 AM
L V Gandhi

Default Autofs not respecting uid in auto.removable

I am running squeeze.
I have following lines in /etc/auto.removablelvgandhi@lvgvaio:~$ cat /etc/auto.removable
flash** -fstype=vfat,rw,uid=1000,umask=022,posix,shortname= winnt****** :/dev/flash

ehd**** -fstype=vfat,rw,uid=1000,umask=022,posix,shortname= winnt******** :/dev/ehd
#ehd*** -fstype=vfat,rw,uid=1000,umask=022,posix,shortname= winnt******* UUID=84C0-F18B
I tried both /dev/ehd and UUID methods.
/var/autofs/removable/ehd is mounted as root.root.

I tried chown as sudo. There also I failed.
lvgandhi@lvgvaio:~$ sudo chown lvgandhi /var/autofs/removable/ehd
chown: changing ownership of `/var/autofs/removable/ehd': Operation not permitted
Any solutions to mount with ownership of user?

--
L V Gandhi

Old 03-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 07:39:32 +0530, L V Gandhi wrote:

> I am running squeeze.
> I have following lines in /etc/auto.removable
> lvgandhi@lvgvaio:~$ cat /etc/auto.removable

(...)

> ehd -fstype=vfat,rw,uid=1000,umask=022,posix,shortname= winnt :/dev/ehd
> #ehd -fstype=vfat,rw,uid=1000,umask=022,posix,shortname= winnt UUID=84C0-F18B

(...)

> Any solutions to mount with ownership of user?

As per "man 5 autofs":

(...)

If you use the automounter for a filesystem without access permissions
(like vfat), users usually can't write on such a filesystem because it is
mounted as user root. You can solve this problem by passing the option
gid=<gid>, e.g. gid=floppy. The filesystem is then mounted as group
floppy instead of root. Then you can add the users to this group, and
they can write to the filesystem. Here's an example entry for an autofs
map:

floppy-vfat -fstype=vfat,sync,gid=floppy,umask=002 :/dev/fd0
***

HTH.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-05-2011, 12:58 PM
L V Gandhi

Thanks again for your time in helping.
However I have achived what I wanted by using udev rules as mentioned in
http://okomestudio.net/biboroku/?p=1402

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.03.05.11.51.07@gmail.com

--
L V Gandhi

Old 03-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 19:28:39 +0530, L V Gandhi wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> > Any solutions to mount with ownership of user?
>>
>> As per "man 5 autofs":
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> If you use the automounter for a filesystem without access permissions
>> (like vfat), users usually can't write on such a filesystem because it
>> is mounted as user root. You can solve this problem by passing the
>> option gid=<gid>, e.g. gid=floppy. The filesystem is then mounted as
>> group floppy instead of root. Then you can add the users to this group,
>> and they can write to the filesystem. Here's an example entry for an
>> autofs map:
>>
>> floppy-vfat -fstype=vfat,sync,gid=floppy,umask=002 :/dev/fd0 ***

> Thanks again for your time in helping. However I have achived what I
> wanted by using udev rules as mentioned in
> http://okomestudio.net/biboroku/?p=1402

Ah, good.

Autofs should also work fine, just it needs the GID, as manual says, when
it comes to vfat volumes.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón