Old 03-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Daniel Bareiro

Default Unable to connect to CUPS server after upgrading to Squeeze

Hi all!

After upgrading to Squeeze, I tried to do a test print from a client
with Lenny and I could not connect to server. From what I see, the
server is up:

sirius:~# netstat -puta
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
tcp6 0 0 ip6-localhost:ipp [::]:* LISTEN 21266/cupsd
udp 0 0 *:ipp *:* 21266/cupsd

The /etc/cups/cupsd.conf I'm using on the server is still the one I had
with the previous version. From Lenny KDE Control Center, in the
"printers" I get the following error message:

Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from
manager.

Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is
correctly installed and running. Error: the IPP request failed for an
unknown reason.

Any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards,
Daniel
--
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9 29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37
Powered by Debian GNU/Linux Lenny - Linux user #188.598

Old 03-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Nuno Magalh„es

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 10:25, Daniel Bareiro <daniel-listas@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> After upgrading to Squeeze, I tried to do a test print from a client
> with Lenny and I could not connect to server. From what I see, the
> server is up:
>
> sirius:~# netstat -puta

Nice mnemonics

Have you tried localhost:631? Have you been fiddling with a firewall
(or has it been updated)?
I've recently dist-upgraded on Sid and :631 is working fine.

Bye,
Nuno

--
Mars 2 Stay!
http://xkcd.com/801/

Old 03-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Roger Leigh

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 07:25:22AM -0300, Daniel Bareiro wrote:
> After upgrading to Squeeze, I tried to do a test print from a client
> with Lenny and I could not connect to server. From what I see, the
> server is up:
>
> sirius:~# netstat -puta
> Active Internet connections (servers and established)
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
> tcp6 0 0 ip6-localhost:ipp [::]:* LISTEN 21266/cupsd
> udp 0 0 *:ipp *:* 21266/cupsd

There's no TCP socket open listening for connections over the network
(only on localhost). The UDP socket is for broadcasts AFAIK, not
actual printing.

You need to configure the server to accept connections from others.
At http://localhost:631/admin, tick the box for "Share printers
connected to this system" and it will enable it:

% netstat --udp --tcp -l | grep ipp
tcp 0 0 *:ipp *:* LISTEN
tcp6 0 0 [::]:ipp [::]:* LISTEN
udp 0 0 *:ipp *:*

Notice how the localhost has been dropped, and replaced with '*' or
[::].

Regards,
Roger

--
.'`. Roger Leigh

Old 03-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Daniel Bareiro

On Friday, 04 March 2011 10:35:06 +0000,
Nuno Magalh„es wrote:

> Hi,

Hi, Nuno.

> > After upgrading to Squeeze, I tried to do a test print from a client
> > with Lenny and I could not connect to server. From what I see, the
> > server is up:
> >
> > sirius:~# netstat -puta

> Nice mnemonics

And that I'm not using it to verify connections of tftp

> Have you tried localhost:631? Have you been fiddling with a firewall
> (or has it been updated)?

> I've recently dist-upgraded on Sid and :631 is working fine.

Roger, I forgot to copy some of the lines of the netstat output. Here's
the output with grep:

sirius:/etc/cups# netstat -puta | grep ipp
tcp 0 0 sirius.freesoftware:ipp *:* LISTEN 21266/cupsd
tcp 0 0 localhost:ipp *:* LISTEN 21266/cupsd
tcp6 0 0 ip6-localhost:ipp [::]:* LISTEN 21266/cupsd
udp 0 0 *:ipp *:* 21266/cupsd

I tried to connect to localhost:631 with links2 on the server host and I
get the CUPS interface. I also connect seamlessly to sirius:631 from
Iceweasel on the machine with KDE where I had given the message that I
mentioned earlier. But if I try to connect sirius.freesoftware:631 or
printer.freesoftware:631, I get:

400 Bad Request.

This looks like a bug [1] and it was also reported in Debian for some
time [2].

Thanks for your replies.

Regards,
Daniel

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/516018
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9 29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37