Old 03-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Lisi

Default "Standard" installation - problem with definition and/or interpretation.

<quote> You will do a standard installation, that is, you will install only
the minimum environment. </quote>

I have been given this instruction and am having problems interpretting it,
since The Debian site says (a propos of Sarge, but the course material was
written some years ago):

<quote> In a default Debian 3.1 standard installation you will end up with
OpenSSH, Exim (depending on how you configured it) and the RPC portmapper
available as network services[4]. If you did not go through a standard
installation but selected an expert installation you can end up with no
active network services. </quote>
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch3.en.html
section 3.6

So the Debian site distinguishes between "standard" and "expert". But our
instructions continue:

<quote> When you start the installation from the selected media, choose the
expert mode and follow the steps until the end of the process. </quote>

In other words, standard and expert are the same thing. Help!!!

Lisi

Old 03-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Vi, 04 mar 11, 08:55:17, Lisi wrote:
> <quote> You will do a standard installation, that is, you will install only
> the minimum environment. </quote>

As I understand it 'standard' in this context refers to packages up to
(and including) standard priority. If you don't know what I'm talking
about see 'apt-cache show exim4 | grep Priority'.

> I have been given this instruction and am having problems interpretting it,
> since The Debian site says (a propos of Sarge, but the course material was
> written some years ago):
>
> <quote> In a default Debian 3.1 standard installation you will end up with
> OpenSSH, Exim (depending on how you configured it) and the RPC portmapper
> available as network services[4]. If you did not go through a standard
> installation but selected an expert installation you can end up with no
> active network services. </quote>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch3.en.html
> section 3.6
>
> So the Debian site distinguishes between "standard" and "expert". But our
> instructions continue:

'expert' install is the one where you set 'priority=expert' on booting.

IIRC in sarge times you got a prompt at boot. If you pressed Enter it
would do a 'priority=normal' install and if you wrote 'expert' it would
do the 'priority=expert' install (with a lot more options). That manual
would have better used 'normal' install, but now it's considered
obsolete and no one will update it.

> <quote> When you start the installation from the selected media, choose the
> expert mode and follow the steps until the end of the process. </quote>
>
> In other words, standard and expert are the same thing. Help!!!

In the context of going through the whole install (from boot to running
the system) standard means 'priority=normal' (not so many questions) and
'expert' is the one where you get a lot more choices and can tweak all
sorts of things *including* the package selection.

HTH,
Andrei

Old 03-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Lisi

On Friday 04 March 2011 09:21:01 Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Vi, 04 mar 11, 08:55:17, Lisi wrote:
> > <quote> You will do a standard installation, that is, you will install
> > only the minimum environment. </quote>
>
> As I understand it 'standard' in this context refers to packages up to
> (and including) standard priority. If you don't know what I'm talking
> about see 'apt-cache show exim4 | grep Priority'.
>
> > I have been given this instruction and am having problems interpretting
> > it, since The Debian site says (a propos of Sarge, but the course
> > material was written some years ago):
> >
> > <quote> In a default Debian 3.1 standard installation you will end up
> > with OpenSSH, Exim (depending on how you configured it) and the RPC
> > portmapper available as network services[4]. If you did not go through a
> > standard installation but selected an expert installation you can end up
> > with no active network services. </quote>
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch3.en.html
> > section 3.6
> >
> > So the Debian site distinguishes between "standard" and "expert". But
> > our instructions continue:
>
> 'expert' install is the one where you set 'priority=expert' on booting.
>
> IIRC in sarge times you got a prompt at boot. If you pressed Enter it
> would do a 'priority=normal' install and if you wrote 'expert' it would
> do the 'priority=expert' install (with a lot more options). That manual
> would have better used 'normal' install, but now it's considered
> obsolete and no one will update it.
>
> > <quote> When you start the installation from the selected media, choose
> > the expert mode and follow the steps until the end of the process.
> > </quote>
> >
> > In other words, standard and expert are the same thing. Help!!!
>
> In the context of going through the whole install (from boot to running
> the system) standard means 'priority=normal' (not so many questions) and
> 'expert' is the one where you get a lot more choices and can tweak all
> sorts of things *including* the package selection.

Thanks, Andrei. My preferred method of dealing with the problem would be to
go on to a later question and come back to this one when I have stopped
panicking. But the other questions rely on this one!!!

Lisi

Old 03-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Lisi wrote:
<quote> You will do a standard installation, that is, you will install only
the minimum environment. </quote>

<snip>

Use d-i 'install' (I add 'vga=791') take all the defaults and when it
asks via tasksel what to install, install nothing. You end up with a
minimum system that is very usable but has only a minimum of packages.

Hugo