Old 03-04-2011, 06:45 AM
Ron Johnson

Default download manager

On 03/04/2011 12:27 AM, hamed hosseini wrote:

i need best download manager in linux ,like Internet Download Manager in
windows?

What exactly does a download manager do that Firefox and wget can't?

--
I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.

Archive: 4D70987C.1030208@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4D70987C.1030208@cox.net

Old 03-04-2011, 07:40 AM
ZHAO Lina

I tried the kget.

can it be interactive.

such as some webs needs username and passwd for authentication,

how to set up this?

thanks,

lina

Old 03-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Vi, 04 mar 11, 09:57:53, hamed hosseini wrote:
> i need best download manager in linux ,like Internet Download Manager in
> windows?

$ apt-cache search download manager

has some interesting stuff. You didn't specify more concrete features
that you are looking for, so here is a quick selection:

aria - Tool to download files from the Internet via HTTP or FTP
d4x - graphical download manager
fatrat - multi-protocol download manager, feature rich and extensible via plugin
xul-ext-flashgot - Turns every supported download manager into a download manager for Firefox
epiphany-extension-gwget - Gwget extension for Epiphany web browser
gwget - GNOME front-end for wget
xul-ext-downthemall - iceweasel extension with advanced download capabilities
kget - download manager
metacafe-dl - download videos from metacafe.com (transitional package)
multiget - graphical download manager
tucan - Download and upload manager for 1-Click Hosters
uget - easy-to-use download manager written in GTK+2

Regards,
Andrei

Old 03-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Darac Marjal

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 01:45:00AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 03/04/2011 12:27 AM, hamed hosseini wrote:
> >i need best download manager in linux ,like Internet Download Manager in
> >windows?
> >

> What exactly does a download manager do that Firefox and wget can't?

* Download a file in multiple, parallel chunks. [Axel can do this]
* Search for and use mirrors (there are various file search engines that
can tell you "File X is mirrored here, here and here" and you can
choose the closest/fastest).
* Handle Metalink files (so that a file can be downloaded from HTTP,
FTP, Bittorrent or a mixture of any of these).

Typically, the main use is to allow resuming of downloads, but of
course, Wget can do that.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:41 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On 2011-03-04 02:40:35 ZHAO Lina wrote:
>I tried the kget.
>
>can it be interactive.

Yes. But, I think you might try being less terse (and consequently more
verbose). Asking questions about specific interactions will probably get you
more useful information.

>such as some webs needs username and passwd for authentication,
>
>how to set up this?

If they are using HTTP authentication, then put your username/password in the
URL you give to KGet. It's like http://usernameassword@host/path/to/file.

If they are using HTML Forms + Cookies for authentication, just login to the
site with Konqueror first. Konqueror and KGet use the same cookie jar.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 03-05-2011, 02:44 AM
ZHAO Lina

On 2011-03-04 02:40:35 ZHAO Lina wrote:

>I tried the kget.

>can it be interactive.

Yes. *But, I think you might try being less terse (and consequently more

verbose). *Asking questions about specific interactions will probably get you

more useful information.

http://www.springerlink.com.ezlibproxy1.ntu.edu.sg/content/23j63676550n0q45/fulltext.pdf

This is the link,
which need username and password.
when I use kget, it's just stopped.

>such as some webs needs username and passwd for authentication,

>how to set up this?

If they are using HTTP authentication, then put your username/password in the

URL you give to KGet. *It's like http://usernameassword@host/path/to/file.

If they are using HTML Forms + Cookies for authentication, just login to the

site with Konqueror first. *Konqueror and KGet use the same cookie jar.

I don't know it's HTTP or HTML authentication.
I haven't installed the Konqueror and no attempts to install it.

Can it be set up in kget interface interface, I tried Settings but not work.

Thanks,

lina
-*
-

Old 03-05-2011, 02:00 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <AANLkTim3zxsMc+sNts3cTFSqDRiVV-ya=dfB-N2TO2MD@mail.gmail.com>, ZHAO Lina
wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 11:41 PM,
>Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
>> On 2011-03-04 02:40:35 ZHAO Lina wrote:
>> >I tried the kget.
>> >
>> >can it be interactive.
>>
>> Yes. But, I think you might try being less terse (and consequently more
>> verbose). Asking questions about specific interactions will probably get
>> you
>> more useful information.
>
>http://www.springerlink.com.ezlibproxy1.ntu.edu.sg/content/23j63676550n0q45/
>fulltext.pdf This is the link,
>which need username and password.
>when I use kget, it's just stopped.

That link actually sends you a redirect. Then, the redirect URL
<https://ezproxylogin1.ntu.edu.sg/restricted/login.asp?logup=false&url=http://www.springerlink.com/content/23j63676550n0q45/fulltext.pdf>
uses HTTP authentication.

Add your username and password to the redirect URL like:
<https://usernameassword@ezproxylogin1.ntu.edu.sg/restricted/login.asp?logup=false&url=http://www.springerlink.com/content/23j63676550n0q45/fulltext.pdf>
and give that URL to KGet, hopefully that will get you the file. AFAIK,
KGet does not normally prompt for or store credentials, so you have to use
the URL syntax.

Unfortunately, I won't be much help with troubleshooting past that point ad I
don't have credentials for the NTU library.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:39 AM
ZHAO Lina

wrote:

>On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 11:41 PM,

>Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:

>> On 2011-03-04 02:40:35 ZHAO Lina wrote:

>> >I tried the kget.

>> >can it be interactive.

>> Yes. *But, I think you might try being less terse (and consequently more

>> verbose). *Asking questions about specific interactions will probably get

>> you

>> more useful information.

>http://www.springerlink.com.ezlibproxy1.ntu.edu.sg/content/23j63676550n0q45/

>fulltext.pdf This is the link,

>which need username and password.

>when I use kget, it's just stopped.

That link actually sends you a redirect. *Then, the redirect URL

<https://ezproxylogin1.ntu.edu.sg/restricted/login.asp?logup=false&url="">>

uses HTTP authentication.

Add your username and password to the redirect URL like:

<https://usernameassword@ezproxylogin1.ntu.edu.sg/restricted/login.asp?logup=false&url="">>

and give that URL to KGet, *hopefully that will get you the file. *AFAIK,

KGet does not normally prompt for or store credentials, so you have to use

the URL syntax.

I tried, it popped up saving as login.asp.

seems the last part ?logup=false&url="">> could not be recognized,

and the downloading stop there.

There is also some info. shows like below, did I miss something?

~$ QApplication::qAppName: Please instantiate the QApplication object first
kget is already running!
QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection 'qt_sql_default_connection' is still in use, all queries will cease to work.

QSqlDatabasePrivate::addDatabase: duplicate connection name 'qt_sql_default_connection', old connection removed.
"/usr/bin/kget(26289)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"

"/usr/bin/kget(26289)" Soprano: "Unsupported operation (2)": "Invalid model"
"/usr/bin/kget(26289)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"

"/usr/bin/kget(26289)" Soprano: "Unsupported operation (2)": "Invalid model"
"/usr/bin/kget(26289)" Soprano: "Unsupported operation (2)": "Invalid model"
"/usr/bin/kget(26289)" Soprano: "Invalid iterator."

"/usr/bin/kget(26289)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"
"/usr/bin/kget(26289)" Soprano: "Unsupported operation (2)": "Invalid model"

"/usr/bin/kget(26289)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"
"/usr/bin/kget(26289)" Soprano: "Unsupported operation (2)": "Invalid model"

"/usr/bin/kget(26289)" Soprano: "Unsupported operation (2)": "Invalid model"
"/usr/bin/kget(26289)" Soprano: "Invalid iterator."

Thanks,

lina

*

Unfortunately, I won't be much help with troubleshooting past that point ad I

don't have credentials for the library.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:47 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <AANLkTi=gS+hd+kaO3J3gFHT8h=_kBygZMb=iPWrYvYuU@mai l.gmail.com>, ZHAO Lina
wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 11:00 PM,
>Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
>> In <AANLkTim3zxsMc+sNts3cTFSqDRiVV-ya=dfB-N2TO2MD@mail.gmail.com>, ZHAO
>> Lina
>> wrote:
>>>http://www.springerlink.com.ezlibproxy1.ntu.edu.sg/content/23j63676550n0q45/fulltext.pdf
>>>This is the link,
>>>which need username and password.
>>>when I use kget, it's just stopped.
>>
>> That link actually sends you a redirect.
>> [...] uses HTTP authentication.
>>
>> Add your username and password to the redirect URL.
>
>I tried, it popped up saving as login.asp.

What was in login.asp? KGet might not have been able to guess the file name
correctly but could have still downloaded the file. Those two operations are
not really dependent on one another.

But, if it didn't work, like I said, I really probably can't help you much
further.