Old 03-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen

Default new hard drive usb "WD My Passport essential SE" 1Tb

I have a new usb hard drive of the specs in the subject line. On
plugging it in it shows on the desktop,
but on clicking it nothing happens. Anybody have experience getting
this to work on debian
(squeeze)?

Kjetil

--
"If you want a picture of the future - imagine a boot stamping on the
human face - forever."

George Orwell (1984)

Old 03-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen

I should add that the package says it has "usb 3.0"

Old 03-03-2011, 09:38 PM
"Dr. Ed Morbius"

on 17:27 Thu 03 Mar, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen (kjetil1001@gmail.com) wrote:
> I have a new usb hard drive of the specs in the subject line. On
> plugging it in it shows on the desktop,
> but on clicking it nothing happens. Anybody have experience getting
> this to work on debian
> (squeeze)?

dmesg | tail -20

lsusb

Post output.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist / |
Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist | When you seek unlimited power

Old 03-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Wayne Topa

I have a new usb hard drive of the specs in the subject line. On
plugging it in it shows on the desktop,
but on clicking it nothing happens. Anybody have experience getting
this to work on debian
(squeeze)?

Show us what your /etc/fstab looks like.

WT

Archive: 4D701BC8.7040900@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4D701BC8.7040900@gmail.com

Old 03-03-2011, 10:15 PM
"Jeremy T. Bouse"

On 03/03/2011 03:27 PM, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
> I have a new usb hard drive of the specs in the subject line. On
> plugging it in it shows on the desktop,
> but on clicking it nothing happens. Anybody have experience getting
> this to work on debian
> (squeeze)?
>
> Kjetil

I have a 500GB WD My Passport drive and it works fine. I can't recall
the links now, though all I did was use Google, but I'd found reports
that there were problems using the 1TB model because of drivers
necessary to see the full drive that only came in WinBlow$ format.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:38 PM

Without seeing your drive I'm guessing that you have been caught by
WDs "special program" that works for Windows but is a PITA for Linux.
Do some googling on the drive but I believe you will find you will
have to reformat it before use (there is an HP utility that does
this, called I believe HPUSB Disk or some such).
Larry

Old 03-04-2011, 02:09 AM
Chris Jones

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 03:27:50PM EST, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:

> I have a new usb hard drive of the specs in the subject line. On
> plugging it in it shows on the desktop, but on clicking it nothing
> happens. Anybody have experience getting this to work on debian
> (squeeze)?

I bought one of those - USB 3.0 - from amazon.com 11/22/10 and sent it
back the next day.

Here's why:

1. It was randomly recognized when I plugged it into my router's USB
port. Now you see it.. now you don't...
2. Same thing with the laptop running Microsoft Windows Vista..! Except
that it was not random this time.. Vista saw it once and after that
it disappeared.
3. It was never recognized by debian lenny.
4. I would have started researching & looked for an explanation and
a possible fix but then I noticed that it was clucking at me every
few seconds, like it wanted to be fed or something...
5. Amazon do have a decent return policy & I can only take so much
aggravation these days.

Hope you have better luck with yours.

cj

Old 03-05-2011, 08:07 AM

Le 15036ième jour après Epoch,
Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen écrivait:

> I have a new usb hard drive of the specs in the subject line. On
> plugging it in it shows on the desktop,
> but on clicking it nothing happens. Anybody have experience getting
> this to work on debian
> (squeeze)?

I've exactly the same external HD, and it works like a charm on my
squeeze, and now with my wheezy, without installing other software.

One of my friend buy the same model, and it doesn't work with W$7, nor
with my Linux, even after "upgrading microcode unit" as described on the
troubleshooting section of WD website. One exchange later, it works
good.

Maybe some have a build problem, or maybe it can be the power drain of
the unit?

HTH.

--
Et le multiprocessorage me direz-vous...
Je n'y connais rien : je n'ai pas de lave-linge automatique.