Old 03-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Jason Hsu

Default Mounting and FTPing with SSH

Computer A is my firewall/server. Computer B is my main computer.

I can access Computer A from Computer B by using SSH in a manner similar to telnet. What do I need to do to have FTP access to the files in Computer A? How do I mount a partition on Computer A from Computer B?

--
Jason Hsu <jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com>

Old 03-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Jo, 03 mar 11, 13:59:18, Jason Hsu wrote:
> Computer A is my firewall/server. Computer B is my main computer.
>
> I can access Computer A from Computer B by using SSH in a manner
> similar to telnet. What do I need to do to have FTP access to the
> files in Computer A? How do I mount a partition on Computer A from
> Computer B?

Look at sftp, and sshfs.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 03-03-2011, 09:29 PM
"Dr. Ed Morbius"

on 13:59 Thu 03 Mar, Jason Hsu (jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com) wrote:
> Computer A is my firewall/server. Computer B is my main computer.
>
> I can access Computer A from Computer B by using SSH in a manner
> similar to telnet. What do I need to do to have FTP access to the
> files in Computer A? How do I mount a partition on Computer A from
> Computer B?

In addition to Andrei's suggestions, 'mc' (as well as konqueror through
its virtual filesystem support, and whatever GNOME's file mangler is
these days provided the right deps are installed) offers virtual
filesystem access to remote hosts over ssh. Utilize your existing
ssh-agent for transparent access.

I usually use lftp's "fish" protocol myself:

lftp fish://remotehost

Interactive ftp-like client. Very useful. Supports multiple protocols,
including, oddly enough, ftp.

For truly transparent access, look to FUSE and sshfs:

http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist / |
Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist | When you seek unlimited power

Old 03-04-2011, 03:21 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Andrei Popescu put forth on 3/3/2011 2:03 PM:
> On Jo, 03 mar 11, 13:59:18, Jason Hsu wrote:
>> Computer A is my firewall/server. Computer B is my main computer.
>>
>> I can access Computer A from Computer B by using SSH in a manner
>> similar to telnet. What do I need to do to have FTP access to the
>> files in Computer A? How do I mount a partition on Computer A from
>> Computer B?
>
> Look at sftp, and sshfs.

This sounds like a SOHO LAN setup to me, i.e. he wants to use the
firewall box as a file server as well. Thus, I suggest samba or nfs
would be more appropriate to fulfill the OPs needs. If he has any
Windows clients on his LAN samba would be preferred.

--
Stan