Old 03-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Camaleón

Default Debian Newbie need help

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 17:58:12 +0000, p3qwestra wrote:

> I need help please.

Next time try to give a more descriptive "subject" line ;-)

> Because I'd like to move to Debian, I have tried the Debian 6 Live CD.
> However, because the screen refresh rate is fixed on 60hz, I cannot
> proceed.

(...)

You can play a bit with xrandr. It's a very powerful tool and once you
know how it works, you'll discover that it allows to do amazing things
with your screen(s).

What's your display's resolution?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 03-03-2011, 06:19 PM
"Dr. Ed Morbius"

on 17:58 Thu 03 Mar, p3qwestra@hushmail.com (p3qwestra@hushmail.com) wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I need help please.
>
> Because I'd like to move to Debian, I have tried the Debian 6 Live
> CD. However, because the screen refresh rate is fixed on 60hz,

For CRTs, that's an issue, especially if you have flourescent lighting.

For LCDs, 60Hz is the preferred refresh. As you don't have a scanning
gun, flicker simply doesn't happen.

There are so many wins of LCD over CRT that I'd see little to no reason
to stick with a CRT display.

> I cannot proceed. I am unable to change the rate and leaving it on
> that setting means I get migraine. My graphics card is a 256MB NVIDIA
> 7600 PCI-Express which can handle much higher resolutions; as can the
> monitor - an excellent Gericom CRT which can also handle much higher
> frequencies. I've tried to find help but am lost in the maze of topics
> none of which seem to relate. However, from a Google search, this
> would seem to be a long standing problem and not just with Debian.
> Interestingly Puppy has no problems in giving me the needed screen and
> refresh options.

That said: xrandr is probably your first resource, though you can also
muck with /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

As others have noted: post /var/log/Xorg.0.log

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist / |
Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist | When you seek unlimited power

Old 03-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Brad Rogers

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 11:19:05 -0800
"Dr. Ed Morbius" <dredmorbius@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Dr.,

> There are so many wins of LCD over CRT that I'd see little to no reason
> to stick with a CRT display.

Finance is often the reason people don't want to change their existing
kit. Some people simply can't afford to upgrade. Even when health is
an issue.

I have no idea whether that's the case for the OP, of course.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Old 03-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Roger Leigh

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 09:51:17AM +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 11:19:05 -0800
> "Dr. Ed Morbius" <dredmorbius@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Dr.,
>
> > There are so many wins of LCD over CRT that I'd see little to no reason
> > to stick with a CRT display.
>
> Finance is often the reason people don't want to change their existing
> kit. Some people simply can't afford to upgrade. Even when health is
> an issue.

Another reason is colour reproduction. Until recently, and even now
only on higher end models, LCD panels did not have the same colour
gamut as a CRT. Take pure red, and compare them side by side. The
CRT can reproduce it, but the best most LCDs can produce is a
washed-out red-orange shade. This is AFAIK a limitation in the TN
technology most displays use, but I'm not sure exactly which types do
not suffer from this issue.

Even high end models of old a few years ago had this restriction; I had
a (supposedly for professional use) Apple Cinema Display, and the colour
reproduction was *awful*, with all colours being washed out and still
having the issue with reds. Only in the last year when I acquired an HP
H-IPS LP2475 display can I get the same colour reproduction that a CRT
could produce 30 years ago!

Regards,
Roger

--
.'`. Roger Leigh

Old 03-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Brad Rogers

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:02:48 +0000
Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:

Hello Roger,

Please don't Cc: me, I'm subscribed to the list.

> Another reason is colour reproduction. Until recently, and even now

Doubtless, there are many reasons for not changing kit. I nearly said
upgrading, but in the case of colour rendition, that wouldn't be
correct. :-)

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"
You suck my blood like a leech
Death On Two Legs - Queen

Old 03-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Roger Leigh wrote:

[...]

I have not seen an LCD that reproduces what I get in my Samsung
SyncMaster 750s. Perhaps the H-IPS LP2475 does. What hardware
characteristics should I be looking for, since where I live CRT's are
not to be gotten anymore.

Hugo