Old 03-03-2011, 04:58 PM

Default Debian Newbie need help

Hi.

I need help please.

Because I'd like to move to Debian, I have tried the Debian 6 Live
CD. However, because the screen refresh rate is fixed on 60hz, I
cannot proceed. I am unable to change the rate and leaving it on
that setting means I get migraine. My graphics card is a 256MB
NVIDIA 7600 PCI-Express which can handle much higher resolutions;
as can the monitor - an excellent Gericom CRT which can also handle
much higher frequencies. I've tried to find help but am lost in the
maze of topics none of which seem to relate. However, from a Google
search, this would seem to be a long standing problem and not just
with Debian. Interestingly Puppy has no problems in giving me the
needed screen and refresh options.

Thanks in advance,

p3qwestra

Old 03-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Jo, 03 mar 11, 17:58:12, p3qwestra@hushmail.com wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I need help please.
>
> Because I'd like to move to Debian, I have tried the Debian 6 Live
> CD. However, because the screen refresh rate is fixed on 60hz, I
> cannot proceed. I am unable to change the rate and leaving it on
> that setting means I get migraine. My graphics card is a 256MB
> NVIDIA 7600 PCI-Express which can handle much higher resolutions;
> as can the monitor - an excellent Gericom CRT which can also handle
> much higher frequencies. I've tried to find help but am lost in the
> maze of topics none of which seem to relate. However, from a Google
> search, this would seem to be a long standing problem and not just
> with Debian. Interestingly Puppy has no problems in giving me the
> needed screen and refresh options.

Please attach the complete /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 03-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Mark

Because I'd like to move to Debian, I have tried the Debian 6 Live

CD. However, because the screen refresh rate is fixed on 60hz, I

cannot proceed. I am unable to change the rate and leaving it on

that setting means I get migraine. My graphics card is a 256MB

NVIDIA 7600 PCI-Express which can handle much higher resolutions;

as can the monitor - an excellent Gericom CRT which can also handle

much higher frequencies. I've tried to find help but am lost in the

maze of topics none of which seem to relate. However, from a Google

search, this would seem to be a long standing problem and not just

with Debian. Interestingly Puppy has no problems in giving me the

needed screen and refresh options.

For Lenny (hopefully someone can confirm this method is valid for
Squeeze also), using the "gtf" command will output the HorizSync
and VertRefresh values needed for xorg to display different refresh rates.

For 75 Hz (change Hz and screen resolution values as needed, i.e. this example is for my monitor at 1280x1024 resolution), as root in terminal type:

gtf 1280 1024 75

Then add the last two lines in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Monitor"

*** Identifier*** "Configured Monitor"

*** HorizSync 80.17

*** VertRefresh 75